I am new to reloading, and have a questions about space needed

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by maddevildog, Jan 28, 2010.

1. maddevildog

maddevildog New Member

Hello,
    My first post, thanks ahead of time here. I want to start reloading but I live in a 3 bedroom townhome, with no basement. One room is the master for me and my wife, the 2nd is my daughters room and the 3rd room is smaller that I have my gun safe in and a computer desk. My question is does anyone reload in a spare bedroom and is it safe? I do not see much of a difference if material is stored in a basement vs a BR except space because I can lock a BR door.

I do have a 8x12 shed that I use as a workshop/storage but I am in NJ which get s cold in the winter and hot in the summer. So i do not htink it would be very wise to keep equipment and non flamable materials in the shed.

Any info, adive or tips would be great.

Thanks,
    DJ
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes I do, and it is absolutely safe. Also, having your powder and primers inside your heated and air conditioned house, where they stay in the 50 to 80 degree range, keeps them good much longer than having them out in the garage where it gets 130 in the summer and 15 in the winter.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I agree, get yourself some military ammo cans, they nicely and safely store primers and powder. I keep all my components in them. BTW good questions, you have your thinking cap on, a must for learning to reload. Welcome!
  4. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I use a spare bedroom rather than my shop for the same reasons, as others have said. It is also a more comfortable place to work.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I also reload in the spare bedroom. My bench is only 2 1/2 X 4 feet. All the room I need.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

7. RandyP

RandyP Member

Heck, my little reloading bench/cart is 16" x 28" and holds both presses.

One suggestion to keep momma happy, do your tumbling operations out in that shed if it has power. Dust won't become an issue and at least for me, no matter how 'neat' I try to be the media goes everywhere. I am single so it's not an issue indoors, but if someone else will be sharing the indoor space......
  8. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

As long as you have enough space to move your elbow up and down, then you have enough space to reload. To stay out of trouble with the Mrs., be sure to keep a vaccum on hand that has a hose attachment so you can vacuum up the spent primers and spilled media/powder. For some reason spent primers in the carpet are a hot point for females. I think it is the "clatter" they make when they run the vaccum over them.
  9. 45fullmoon

45fullmoon New Member

I also don't have a special place for reloading - most of my gear is stored in an under-stairs closet, including a colapsable reloading stand, sold by Midway a few years back, on which I can mount my Lee Challenger press.

I also have a Lee Hand Press - it was my first press and all that I used for the first two years or so. I still use it a lot - I can resize a lot of brass while watching a movie or TV show. And it's easy to store.
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use a spare room. Theres pics. in my profile album I think. Yeah. page 2-3
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

In my last house I reloaded in a closet in a spare bedroom. The closet had bi-fold doors allowing me to sit outside the closet and only the reloading bench was in the closet as well as all my bullets, powder, primers, related reloading equipment, and dies.

In my current house one "bedroom" is now the gun room. It houses two reloading benches, a tall bookshelf unit, and a medium sized bench for gunsmithing activities. It also has a rollaway tool box and a large gun safe in there too. The walls are literally lined with gun related stuff for reloading and gunsmithing. When the grandkids stay over, the door gets shut with "don't go in there" as a verbal order, although there are no working guns out.

In the distant past I have reloaded in the garage but having to totally clean up every day was a pain. In my gun room I can stop mid session and return another day to finish. Where I live the days are either very hot or very cold (high desert) and having the reloading inside a heated and cooled room makes reloading or gunsmithing activities much more enjoyable.

LDBennett
  12. cakes

cakes New Member

I know a couple of guys that do all of their reloading at the shooting range. One of them only loads for two rifle calibers, and has two Lee Loaders. Two ammo cans can hold all of his components, tools, and ammo.

If I were evaluating the safety concerns in the original post, my main concern would be proper ventilation. It is easy to keep your kids from powder and primers. It is a lot harder to keep them from harmful fumes and/or dust. Some things(like small amounts of lead) are no big deal to a grown man, but there is no reason to expose children to them unnecessarily.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I reload out of my bedroom, I have 2 full size office desks turned in an L shape in the corner, a large shelf overhead and 2 small ones for powder then my 2 cun cabinets. I got alotta crap semi-neatly stacked in less than 1/3rd of my bedroom with plenty of workspace and storage space. Plus the crapper is like 10 feet away and the fridge is another 20 in the other direction;)
  14. mikld

mikld Active Member

Actually a bench isn't really necessary even for a single stage press. I have used a "WorkMate" folding stand. I had a piece of counter top laying around (24"x36" approx) that I screwed a 2x4 to the bottom. I clamped it in the stand, mounted a press, and had my heavy duty portable reloading bench (heavy 'cause of 3/4" counter top). I could use a TV tray for components beside me and reload anywhere I chose. Later I put a small vice on the opposite end. It was a good height, sturdy, wobble free place to reload. I stored powder, bullets, dies, and stuff in an 18 gal. rubbermaid type storage tub. and it would all hide in my closet easily (I kept primers separate in a plastic shoe box).
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  15. sewerman

sewerman New Member

actually i have my work area in a closet.

yep, five feet wide x two feet deep. closet has bi-fold doors.

i purchased one of those wall mounted folding tables from Ikea.

then put a removable 2x4 mounted vertical underneath where the turret press is mounted.

i have a few of those plastic drawers to hold my dies & small stuff.
    the tumbler and components are stored under the table.

my press is mounted to a short length of 2x6 then clamped to the
    table. if i need to i can remove the press and fold down the table
    and hid. theres even room for my reenactment clothes hanging over to one side!
    don't let your town house cramp your style. you have more room then you may see...think out of the box.....or in the closet:)-

cheers.....
    sewerman
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010