I am not saying a thing. Speaks for itself.

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by cycloneman, Mar 3, 2010.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8547621.stm

Wednesday, 3 March 2010 South Africa black-owned farms 'failing'

In 1994 almost 90% of the land was owned by white South Africans

Some 90% of farms redistributed to South Africa 's black population from white farmers are not productive, the government has said.

Land reform minister Gugile Nkwinti warned the land might be repossessed if the farms continued to fail.

Almost 60,000 sq km (23,000 sq miles) have been redistributed under policies aimed at benefiting black people who were left impoverished by apartheid. The land was bought from white farmers who sold up voluntarily.

The BBC's Pumza Fihlani in Johannesburg says some black farmers are likely to argue that they have been struggling to get the resources and skills to develop their land. And repossessing the land would provide a whole new problem for the government, our correspondent says, as any move to return the land to its former white owners is bound to be controversial.

Sensitive issue

The government had set a target of 2014 to redistribute one-third of white-owned land back to the black majority.

But Mr Nkwinti acknowledged that the deadline would not be kept. He said the focus would now shift to helping the black farmers make their land productive.

"The farms - which were active accruing revenue for the state - were handed over to people, and more than 90% of those are not functional," he said. "They are not productive, and therefore the state loses the revenue. We cannot afford to go on like that... No country can afford that."

At the end of apartheid in 1994 almost 90% of land was owned by the white community, which made up less than 10% of the population.

Land reform is a sensitive issue in South Africa and has been brought into sharp focus by the decline of agriculture in neighbouring Zimbabwe , where many white commercial farmers have been violently evicted.
  2. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Maybe they need to put up Agricultural Colleges all over the Country and have agents visit farmers to help them learn the latest farm technology's that will work in S. Africa using the available resources. Extension agents can also visit the wives and teach skills they need as farm wives. The kids can go to the colleges and come out with new skills. Kind of like what worked so well in this country that the A&M colleges are still a major educational resource to the nation.
  3. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Or they could give them back to white farmers and return to prosperity.
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

AMEN !

They could also turn the country over to White Rule again and watch the nation return to prosperity and the horrid crime rate plummet.
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

That's definitely a good thing. I've benefited from our local University cooperative on our little plot of land. They provide excellent services. I went to the same school but majored in something far from agriculture.

And I think this is just further evidence that you cannot arbitrarily transfer wealth and expect prosperity. The white farmers had years of experience. Giving the land to black farmers without the same experiences (financial management, technology, etc.) is NOT going to produce prosperity over night. I think that the white farmers who sold are probably laughing all the way to the bank right now. Good intentions do not always equal good results. Government always wants to do what is perceived as the "right thing" only to get re-elected. Their constituents are often too damn stupid to realize how wrong their decisions may be. All too often, their "right thing" is the "WRONG THING" in the long run prosperity of their constituents.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I'm pretty sure it was Bush's fault, let me check with Obama. Whole thing happened to fast without a management training program in place and the technical know how it was doomed to failure. Haste makes waste, always.

Zimbabwe formerly Rhodesia is in the same pickle barrel but in worse shape. Proving once again rule by Communists carrying guns is a disaster happening.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Why were these farms re-distributed to black people?
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Public Relations, legal speak for spin to get sympathy from liberals and dopes...or do I repeat myself.
  9. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

OH YA, like that is what really happened, pffft.

Would YOU just give up your farm?
    Thats what I thought.

Is this the Hope and Change that is coming to place near you? After all, that is what spreading the wealth really boils down to.
  10. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

40 acres and a mule, with a chicken in every pot.
  11. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, isn't getting rid of the horrid Apartheid worth a little sacrifice and starvation?
  12. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

OK OK I know i wasn't going to say anything but I love these people so much i just can't stand it. Now, if you can't feed your self in you own country much less in any other country what good are you? I dont want to hear its because of a lack of education. They have been on this planet as long as everbody else. No excuses. Look at Haiti vs their neighbors. I don't want to hear it, stop making excuses for these people.
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Well, actually it is... Running a farm is so much more than growing stuff. Modern farms have to also run their business affairs well. Remember that these people are competing with importers just as we are in the US. It's truly a complex business these days.

Now, why don't they have that knowledge? That's up to individual interpretation. ;)
  14. red14

red14 Active Member

I think it proves that change, just for the sake of change, usually doesn't work.

I think that farming is just about the hardest job on the planet, except maybe a soldier/sailor. Farmers work hard, all day. Anybody just can't do it. It takes a special person to work 18 hours EVERY DAY, to make a living.
  15. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I would guess that during the Apartheid years south african blacks were kept suppressed and undereducated to the point that they do not have the "tools" to work the farms to profitability. It will take more than redistribution of land and government give-aways to make successful farmers out of what amounted to slaves living in their own country. What's hard to understand is how democratic liberals can expect different outcomes by welfare, entitlement programs and give-aways to the poor and uneducated in this country.