I awoke this morning to the sound of glass shattering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joncutt87, Aug 15, 2011.

1. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I grabbed the berretta and a flashlight. Left the bedroom, and found that one of the bottles of beer that I bottled last night exploded in the kitchen. Much to my relief, now I have to clean that up before anyone else wakes up .
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thats a bugger , ginger beer is the worst , i swear i lose 5-10 bottle a batch and if it dont happen this batch the next will make up for it
  3. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Jon
    This has reminded me of my childhood years.
    You see, my dad made what he called Home Brew then bottled it, he had the bottle caper and all the things to make it. The recipe was Malt, Sugar, and Yeast, of course I don't know the amounts. But he would let it ferment for 2 weeks in a stone churn, the it was ready to bottle. He would make 14 gal ever 2 weeks. His Dr. told him to drink it and it would cure his ulcer. BTW, he did this for about 2 years and it did cure him. Back to the story. I was about 7 or so and would help him bottle it an put it in the old coke cases then put it in the hen house until he was ready for it. He also had a lot of friends after they knew he made the stuff. Anyway one morning it sounded like a war outside the house. We did not have a clue as to what was going on. finally Dad went outside with the shotgun in his underwear, we did live in the country with no neighbors so that was OK to go out like that. He came back in laughing and said that about 4 cases of the brew had exploded and blew the tops off the bottles. All day that day we would hear one every now and then go off. He had bottled it too soon. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
  4. geds

geds New Member

Last night must've been the night for weird happenings and noises! My wife had already gone to bed, my daughter was getting ready for bed upstairs, and I was about to go too, when there was a crash in the stairway leading up from the basement. The dog ran scared into the living room where I was and turned and started watching the kitchen behind her. I got up and walked into the kitchen - nothing amiss. Then I started to check out the stairway. We have a "rogues gallery" of family photos on the wall along the stairs and three photos had fallen - luckily, the frames and glass did not break!

I had them attached to the wall with the velcro strips that supposedly won't mar the wall. That works fine until one falling photo knocks the ones below it, then it peels the sheet rock paper off like tape!
  5. 218bee

218bee New Member

When I was a kid, my dad had his own recipe for root beer. But when it came time to add the yeast.....he would always use a little more than the recipe called for. I can still hear the bottles busting at night while I was laying in bed. The worst part was worring that while you were opening a bottle ....that it might bust in your hand. On the good side...it was tasty and had a LOT of foam......(haven't thought about that for years)........Don in SC
  6. Downriver

Downriver New Member

218bee's story reminded me of one my mom used to tell. My folks also made home-made root beer, in their tiny Philly apartment. Once, when they halved the recipe to make a small batch, they forgot to halve the yeast. The bottles would sit under the kitchen sink, and the inevitable happened as they exploded one by one. Mom and dad were afraid to open the sink cabinet, with the thought that a bottle would choose to explode just at that moment, so they tried to count the explosions while mopping up the root beer flowing onto the floor. Good times.
  7. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i bet your dog died happy :D
  8. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Homemade root beer sounds tasty. I didn't know you could brew your own. I always thought root beer was just another soda water product like coke or 7/up with a different flavor addative. I kind of wish I hadn't read this thread, because now I am going to have to learn how to make it. Oh Boy, my girlfriend is going to be pissed at you guys. One of my bedrooms has been converted to a reloading room, one is a fireworks making room, and the kitchen stove is bullet making area because of the vent fan. We don't ever use the dining room, so that may be a good spot for a root beer brewery. Man, y'all are lucky you live out of state, because her head is going to spin completely around like the exorcist girl when she sees a brewery in the dining room.
  9. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Visit mr beer they have kits for root beer, beer, and hard cider starting at $50
  10. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I worked part time with a college classmate at his drug store. We made home brew in the back room. Always added 1/4 teaspoonful of sugar just before capping each bottle. Hard to get cap on before it foamed out. I got bright idea of packing sugar in capsules and dropping capsule in bottle. Theory being that gelatin capsule would dissolve and release sugar . Next week we i came to wotk He announce that he was not going to drink that nasty stuff. Instead of dissolving the capsules had swollen up and looked like condoms floating in the bottles
  11. Woodnut

:lmao2:
    Bob, you just made my day. Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are. :lmao2:
  12. HunterAlpha1

ROFL!!! i guess you could call it "Condom Brew" :D
  13. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

When you're tired of root beer, give BIRCH BEER a try... GOOD STUFF! There are a few variations, I prefer the RED, but the BLACK ia awesome too ! Oh, and then there's GINGER BEER...
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  14. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

When you're tired of root beer, give BIRCH BEER a try... GOOD STUFF! There are a few variations, I prefer the RED, but the BLACK is awesome too ! Oh, and then there's GINGER BEER...
  15. geds

geds New Member

root beer is made from sassafras root. We made sassafras tea all the time as scouts. Now they say it is a carcinogen.
  16. HunterAlpha1

bah, that's what they say today. tomorrow they'll say it's the cure for cancer, wednesday they'll say it gives you AIDS, thursday it's good for cholesterol, friday it causes the gout, saturday it cures migraines instantly, and sunday it's an aphrodisiac. i've quit paying attention to what the FDA or anyone else says about food. if it doesn't kill me, and by that i mean instantly, and it tastes good, i eat or drink it.
  17. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I had a similar situation heard intruders in the basement, only to find out I had left the scanner on.
  18. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I guess the more we like it, the worse it is. Dang it.
  19. Woodnut

It's almost like the old saying, "Everything I like is either illegal, immoral, or fatting"
  20. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Definitely the night for strange noised. We were in bed and i heard a loud crash I went through the house and seen nothing until I came back through the kitchen. A picture hung with command hooks (rule 1 no holes in my walls) had fallen and crashed on the table.