The Firearms Forum banner

I bit the AK! (STOLEN??? RETURNED!!!)

10K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  wpage 
#1 ·
Well I've owned several battle rifles in my life including many SKS, AR15 ect, but just never was an AK guy untill I saw this Norinko MAK90 on the shelf yesterday...Lots of cussing and discussing with myself about it finally yeilded another piece in my swelling safe. Maybe this will be a truck gun/getcha home gun or something. :D

Hopefully I'll post up a range report and personal review next week when I have more time.

Whatcha think?

Crpdeth

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: I bit the AK!

And one of them says, "Thou shalt not covet....."

#8 ·

My review as promised...

At first I was a little disappointed when I got home with my new purchase to realize that the Wolf ammo I had purchased was lacquer coated...I knew that they had discontinued that lacquer coated junk and replaced it with a smooth performing polymer coated round in .223 a few years back and thought they had done the same for 7.62x39, but I wondered why I was handed ammo that was so old and even wondered for awhile if maybe they were still manufacturing that junk for 7.62x39.

Well, on the way to the range today I stopped back in to pick up another box of bullets or two, still a little discontent with the ammo but for the price I half heartedly asked for more Wolf, I'm glad I did, when I opened them up a big smile came across my ugly mug upon seeing the polymer coated rounds, I asked the store owner about the rounds I previously bought and he was unbelieving as I was...I stated that they were out in the truck and went to get them, he opened them up and promply tossed them under the counter and replaced them with the good stuff...I like people like that, so I bought half a case from him all the while knowing that I'll be able to get it cheaper on the net.

Ammo

Wolf 122 grn polymer coated steel case JHP

Weather Conditions

I couldn't have asked for more wind this afternoon at the range, gusts most likely at 20 to 25 MPH, forcing me to wait considerable lengths of time between shots and even take shots in more wind than I would have liked...Although the distances were mostly very close I would have liked a more accurate idea of where my sights are, but it's back to the grindstone tomorrow so I gladly took what I could get on my day off.

Aside from the obvious "bullet proof" design there are several things I like about the weapon...I couldn't help but compare it to the SKS since I've had so many of those and they are the same caliber, and operate in alot of the same ways, but the detatchable mag is a glaring advantage. Not that the SKS strippers are difficult, but I can see many advantages to having several loaded mags in my vest when we go down in the bottoms to the snake pit for example.

The thumbhole stock sold me on this thing (Thanks Klinton you helped to sell another one, stupid)...Unlike Azsigman, I love it...Now it does feel a little "squared off" and even a little too far away from the trigger for my small hands, but I plan to refinish the furniture on it anyway, so I'll spend some time rounding that hole off and moving it a little closer to the trigger untill it feels just right.

A few observations

Although it was pretty windy I believe that this rifle is shooting a little to the left and I cannot seem to find a windage adjustment for it...There must be one right? If not, I'm sure replacing the sights all together is an option.

Dislikes

I hate the safety, not only is it out of the way, it scratches the metal when it is used.

1st pic
10 rnds 25 yards Just trying to get a feel for her

2nd pic
5 rnds 50 yards...group sure opens up alot, I'm sure we can apply alot of that to the shooter and the wind, but I'd hate to have to dispatch anything smaller than a large boar past 100 yards at this point.

3rd pic
Tactical target, one of my favorite things to shoot...I pulled this back in to 25 yrds because of the size of the target it's self...It is quite a bit smaller than a real man, so 50 yrds using peeps wasn't feasable.

Overall, I think I'll keep it, I need to practice with it a bit more and definately need to try to pull those groups together, but I think I'll have a lot of fun with it as you say Pick...It was so bright today that I couldnt get a good pic with my cell phone, but I set some clay pidgeons out at 110 yards against a dirt embankment and had a blast plinking away at them and was even busting a few at that distance, so I'm not going to say it's not capable of anything just yet...I just need some more range time with 'er.

Attachments

#9 ·

For adjusting windage you will have to tap the front sight post side to side the make a special tool but their ain't no need for it. If you look at the front sight from the side you should see a small circle on each side just under the front sight post that is what you have to tap for the windage adj. That way once set the windage it stays it won't get knocked of zero.

#11 ·

Thanks alot Southern, I couldn't imigine a BR without means to adjust the sights, but nothing surprises me anymore. :D

Crpdeth

#13 ·

Hmmm, I can see how this tool would make it possible to make very minute adjustments Southern...For the price, I think I'll buy one and look around the site for a couple other necessary things to offset shipping.

See...Women aren't the only ones who think they can save money by buying more! :D

Crpdeth

#15 ·
#17 ·

You can do wayyy worse than an AK...but not much better:D

The safety you mentioned...well that and the distinct click are one of several AK trademarks. I think that "Chinklack!" sound could be patented like a Harley 90-degree V-twin rumble...lol.

I heard several reasons for that safety design. One was it's easy to use in extreme cold (Siberia minus 50) with heavy gloves/mitts etc and easy to locate when the pucker factor is minus one millimeter.

#21 · (Edited)

congrats on your purchase. I have a couple of the norinco's and love them. :)
Here is one I got back in '04 (it since has been put back to a preban configuration with the necessary US compliance parts - sorry no after pics on this one)

Here is another with before and after (this is a NHM90).
before:

After: (with the needed US compliance parts) :D

these are both 5.56/223 - but the 7.62x39 one I have is nice as well - and a hoot to shoot.

#22 ·

Did you do any work on it yet Crp? Do you have any pics of your handiwork? Feed the beast, we need pics.
Thanks for asking dude, but I've gotten SOOO busy in my business, I barely have enough time to walk out in the shop and grab a beer much less a tool. :D

Believe me, my "handiwork" leaves a lot to be desired, but I will post up any mods that I do.

Crpdeth

#24 ·

It looks reasonably well-centered to me, and congrats on taking out the perp and missing the vic! However, if you need to adjust the windage the front sight windage tool is the only way to go. Notice the index marks on the sight drum in the front of the sight base. The carbine was sighted in before shipping, but may have been adjusted or tampered-with since then. These are built tough, but it's best not to beat on the barrel with a hammer. You'll also want to get a front sight elevation tool - looks a bit like an old skate key. The lacquer-coated ammo wouldn't have been a problem because of the chrome chamber and barrel, but no doubt the polymer-coated is better. Remember, on any gun, the front sight is moved opposite the direction you want the point of impact to move. I don't use the battlesight position on the rear sight, marked with a letter. For more precise shooting, set the rear sight on '1' (100M). The battlesight setting is designed to provide hits on an enemy out to about 300M, consequently will be rather high at 100M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.