The Firearms Forum banner

I bought a plastic gun

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lead 
#1 ·
I took the plunge and bought a S&W Sigma, a SW40F. I found it in great shape, with 3 10rd. mags, all for $250. out the door.
I took it out this afternoon and had a great time with it. I had Magtech 180gr. FMJ(brass case) and CCI Blazer 180gr.(aluminum case). It fed and shot it all without a problem. Accuracy was fine, recoil was nice.
The only problem was the trigger. It travels so far forward to reset that rapid fire was hard. A slow, aimed shot was fine though.
This thing is a blatant copy of a Glock, but half the price. Take down and reassembly is just as easy.
I've bought a couple duds this year. This gun was a pleasant surprise, even though it's not steel and walnut!!!

G
#4 ·
lead said:
The only problem was the trigger. It travels so far forward to reset that rapid fire was hard.
I have a Sigma 40VE, lead, and encountered the same problem. It's relatively minor, but still an annoyance. What did you think of the trigger pull? On mine it seems just a bit too heavy, though it is certainly managable.

#5 ·
I thought the trigger pull was manageable, certainly nothing to brag about, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
If the grip didn't fit me so well, it could have been more of a problem.

#6 ·
Lead,

The 40F was one of the first models that had some problems with the frame cracking. Keep a close check on the area where the serial number is on the bottom of the frame. Take the gun apart, and squeeze the top of the frame near that area. You'll be able to see if/when it begins to crack. From what I've read in the past, S&W will replace the gun with one with an accessory rail.

That said, I bought one when they first came out for a lot more than you paid. Mine hasn't cracked and has had thousands of rounds downrange. I'm more of a revolver guy, so the trigger was no problem for me to learn. It's quite similar to a D/A revolver in pull and weight. It will loosen up in time, too.

One upgrade I did was to install a steel guide rod and Wolf recoil spring. I don't know if this has anything to do with me not experiencing any of the frame problems or not. I also polished the feed ramp because it had some initial feeding problems within the first 100 rounds or so. Now, it'll eat anything.

It's a red headed stepchild that the majority of internet posters can't stand. :D The Glock haters hate it because it's plastic. The Glock lovers hate it because S&W stole a design from them. The S&W haters hate it because...well, it's a Smith.

Enjoy it!

EW

#7 · (Edited)
Thank you omegapd, that's good to know! I bought mine used and I get the impression that I'm enjoying a trigger that's already been "broken in".
When I get home I will inspect it closer for cracks.
Thanks again.

edit: No cracks,whew!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.