I broke down and got the meat

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Bobitis, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

5 lbs of gator and 5 lbs of frog legs.
    Gonna fry some legs tonite, and take a shot at jambalaya with the gator this weekend.

I know there's recipes on the net, but would like some input from the pros here.

Beings I'm about as far away from this type of cooking one can get, I doubt I'll be finding a cajun mix at the store. I'd be better off making one up.
    What spices do yall use? I've got sausage and shrimp to go with the gator.

Any tips you would like to share would be most welcome.

Same for the frog. I've read prepping the legs from none, to soaking in saltwater, soaking in milk, citrus squirts w/crushed ice, etc...:confused:

Thanks for the help.:)
  2. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

I dunno bout eating that stuff, although I'd try it if prepared by someone who knows how.
    Filet Mignon tonite, gonna try it on an applewood plank.
    I love applewood chips for smoking filet, we'll see how the plank works.
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Here is two ways I like gator done.

Alligator Etouffee (Etoufee)
    Cook Time: 1 hour, 0 minutes
    Ingredients
    2 medium onions chopped
    2 cloves garlic chopped
    4 stalks celery chopped
    1 can tomatoes or Rotel Brand tomato
    salt black pepper and cayenne
    1 pound alligator meat cut in thin strips
    2 sticks butter
    1/2 cup green onions
    1 bell pepper chopped

Directions
    Saute' onions, garlic and celery (bell pepper optional) in the butter until soft. Add the tomatoes and simmer for twenty minutes in a covered iron pot.
    Add the alligator meat and cook over a low fire until tender about one hour. If the gravy thickens too much while cooking or at the end add water. Add the onion tops in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
    Serve over rice but especially rice with jasmine scented rice, a fresh tomato and lettuce salad and a thick slice of French bread for mopping your plate clean.
    I like it this way because it is faster but the Sauce Piquant is better:)
    Sauce Piquant = jambalaya

Ingredients
    1 pound turtle meat or alligator meat
    2 large onions chopped
    2 bell pepper chopped
    6 stalks celery chopped
    2 jalapenos chopped without seeds
    1 small cans tomato paste
    2 1/2 can of water
    2 tbsp sugar (cuts the acidity of the tomatoes)
    1/2 tbsp basil leaves
    2 bay leaves
    cooking oil
    salt , red pepper, black pepper
    garlic and onion powder
    Vinegar for marinating
    1 can Rotel Brand Tomato
    2 tbsp roux
    Directions
    A Dutch oven or heavy cast iron pot with cover works best for this dish. Season the turtle meat with salt and red pepper. Marinate the turtle meat overnight in enough vinegar to cover the meat. When ready to cook, take the meat out of the marinade and let it drain 10 to 15 minutes. Do not rinse the meat. Season with salt, red pepper, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Pour about 1/2 oil and start heating. Put in enough pieces to cover the bottom of the pot. Brown the meat on all sides. Continue until all are done taking out the meat as they brown. After all the meat is browned, add the onions, bell pepper, celery, jalapenos and cook until the onions are soft. Add the tomato paste, Rotel tomatoes and 2 small cans of water. If you want to use the roux add at this time. Cook on medium fire until the meat turns a lighter brown.

Add 2 to 3 cans of water, sugar, turtle meat, the basil and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat to a simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours (I like to cover the pot) and stir occasionally to prevent scorching and sticking. Serve over rice with a fresh green salad and tomatoes along with a crisp garlic or plain French bread.

If using gator you can use vinegar or this marinade - Sprinkle meat with garlic powder and Cajun seasoning. Place in a covered dish. Add onions, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and lemon juice to meat and let marinate overnight in refrigerator. Remove meat from marinade and fry in vegetable oil in a skillet until meat is brown. Follow the rest of the steps.
    I never marinade mine but this was with the recipe when I got it so I am sending on to you Have cooked it this way four time and all I will say is
    I NEED MORE GATOR :D
  4. kingchip

kingchip New Member

I'd just chicken fry the frog legs. they don't need any soaking or anything.

As for anything Jambalaya or cajun, it's all about the roux.
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Well...ya can't beat that meat. :D

mike
    gn
  6. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

We should have a Recipe section on the forum for game meats etc On the frogs legs I ate them when I lived in Brooklyn NY at Nathan"s in Coney Island years ago, they bread them in egg & flour & then in flavored bread crumbs & deep or pan fry them If you don"t have a deep fryer, I could eat a couple of dozens of them right now along with a nice cold brewski. 358 Win I love your alligator recipe in the Etoffee when I make the shrimp one ( as alligators are hard to find up here in the NY mountains ) HA HA I add a little about a 1/4 of a cup of SAVORY& JAMES CREAM SHERRY in my shrimp Etoffee as per Chef EMERIL LAGASSE recipe from the food network, & What a difference in taste it adds to the dish real cajun stuff I wish that I could find some alligator meat on line to try your recipe, never had gator, Did have Rattlesnake when I was stationed in Texas while in the Army ( It does taste like chicken ) none up here either just copperheads snakes, don"t think that they would taste like a rattler though.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

We do. :)

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Welcome to the forum, 44. ;) :)

Art
  8. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Id love to try Gator - What does it taste like ? You don't see many about down here in NZ, id have to pinch one from the Zoo and don't think they would be too happy:D

I have tried Kangaroo though and that was good - a bit like steak

Cheers

Enfield
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I just made up a 3 gallon pot of Jambalaya yesterday, took it to work today and it was gone in less than 30 min. Feed at least 15 guys and there wasn't even so much as a grain of rice left in the pot. You just can't go wrong with Cajun cooking, 3# of andouille, 2# shrimp and 2# grilled chicken........ them's GOOD EATS !!!!

Sure wish i had some gator to throw in there; excellent lean meat.

Far as frog legs go, a good soak in buttermilk followed by a dunk in some cornmeal seasoned with some Tony C's and deep fryed; can't go wrong!
  10. artabr

artabr New Member

11. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    So.... how was dinner??
    your lucky your about 8 hrs away,
    ya might have had company
    to share in the experience.:D
    on the gator meat anyhow.

frog legs we batter and fry like chicken.

my dinner was bonless ribeye, imperial cat mushrooms, refried beans and carrots

Did ya get any of the rain yesterday?
  12. obxned

obxned New Member

Gator is fine, but the frogs legs are heaven on a plate. Haven't had them in a long time, though they used to be sold in the supermarket all the time. Fry them unbreaded and gently, and with limited sesonings - the flavor is delecate and easily overpowered. A tiny squeeze of lemon doesn't hurt. Enjoy!!
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Got the rain last night. It was QUITE welcome.:D

Being somewhat avant garde, I soaked the legs int a mix of water, salt, garlic, lime juice, and Mtn Dew (about an hr), then threw em in a bag of pork shake-n-bake. I patted them dry first and let them sit for 30 minutes or so, thinking the mix would bring some of the moisture out. Boy DID it.
    I was left with thick gobs of gooey yuck that didn't stick to anything.:(
    I removed the yuck and lightly salted and peppered the legs. Tossed em in a bag with brown flour for ten minutes or so, then into the hot oil.

Heavenly! As I'm a simple man, the sides were tater-tots and brussel sprouts.

I'm puting off the jambalaya as I can't see making 2-3 gallons for just me.

Think I'll fry the gator and add it to a red pasta sauce with mixed bell peppers, onion, and portabella mushrooms. Pour it over some mini pene with garlic buttered sourdough for sopping.

Whatcha think?
  14. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

We are slowly going down this list. We have not found a receipt we don't like yet.
  15. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Drool, Drool, Drool

finger licking good:D
  16. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Thanks Doc!
    Added to favorites.;)
  17. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Spent the last couple hours in the kitchen.
    Slice and dice, simmer and stir.

I gotta be honest here.

The frog came from China and was wonderful. As much as I expected.
    The gator (and the frog) were bought from from CajunGrocer.
    While I knew I wasn't going to get 'steaks' from them, I expected somewhat more than what I got.

For a hundred bucks, I "assumed" I'd get more than the trimmings from the bones. Not so.:mad:

Buyer beware.
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Aint never had me no frog legs, but gator is quite delicious... The other other other white meat. Tastes alot like chicken, really...
  19. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Hey Bob: How much meat in lbs. did you get for $100? Did that price include shipping? Would you do it differently, now that you know what to expect? I love frog legs & was thinking about buying some, but threw on the brakes when you said "Buyer beware".

SR
  20. Slowrid-Der

Slowrid-Der New Member

If it is a piece of gator tail then slice it, rub jerk spice on it and barbecue it. It is very good. I lived in Florida for a few years and ate a lot of gator tail that way.