I Can Avoid Starbuck's From Now On ....

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by JohnHenry, Nov 28, 2012.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

WON'T BE DRINKING AT STARBUCKS ANYMORE
    Note: Was checked on snopes and google - it is true.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/starbucks.asp
    Recently Marines in Iraq wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their coffees
    and to request that they send some of it to the troops there.
    Starbucks replied, telling the Marines thank you for their support of their business, but that Starbucks does not support the war, nor anyone in it, and that they would not send the troops their brand of coffee.

So as not to offend Starbucks, maybe we should not support them by buying any of their products! I feel we should get this out in the
    open. I know this war might not be very popular with some folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support the troops on the ground
    fighting street-to-street and house-to-house.
    If you feel the same as I do then pass this along, or you can discard it and no one will ever know.
    Thanks very much for your support. I know you'll all be there again when I deploy once more.
    Semper Fidelis.
    Sgt. Howard C. Wright
    1st Force Recon Co
    1st Plt PLT
    Also, don't forget that when the Twin Trade Towers were hit the fire fighters and rescue workers went to Starbucks because it was close by for water for the survivors and workers and Starbucks
    charged them!!
    JUST A NOTE TO THIS; STARBUCKS HAD STORES ON SEVERAL MILITARY BASES IN THE UNITED STATES. THEY ARE NOW
    BEING REMOVED BECAUSE OF THIS.
    PLEASE DON'T DELETE THIS. ALLOW IT TO BE PASSED TO ALL IN MEMORY OF ALL THE TROOPS WHO HAVE DIED SO THAT WE MAY HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE TO SUPPORT THEM OR NOT!!
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Analysis: It's unclear whether Starbucks ever actually refused to donate coffee to U.S. Marines who requested it — but if they did, it wasn't because, as the above email claims, "they don't support the war and anyone in it."
    Marine Sgt. Howard C. Wright, who authored the original message in May 2004, subsequently issued a mea culpa (currently being distributed by Starbucks in answer to queries about the issue) in which he said:

Almost 5 months ago I sent an email to you my faithful friends. I did a wrong thing that needs to be cleared up. I heard by word of mouth about how Starbucks said they didn't support the war and all. I was having enough of that kind of talk and didn't do my research properly like I should have. This is not true. Starbucks supports men and women in uniform. They have personally contacted me and I have been sent many copies of their company's policy on this issue. So I apologize for this quick and wrong letter that I sent out to you.
    In its own official response to the email rumor, Starbucks explains that while the company has "the deepest respect and admiration for U.S. military personnel," corporate policy prohibits direct donations to U.S. troops because the military doesn't fall under the strict definition of a public charity. Individual employees are free to donate their weekly pounds of take-home coffee, however, and according to Starbucks' statement many have done so.

Update: A 2007 variant of this rumor claims that wiener manufacturer Oscar Mayer refused to supply hot dogs to U.S. Marines.
  3. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

There's always more than meets the email in these kind of email rumors:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

Edit: Furthermore, this BS has been circulating in cyberspace since 2004. It does not bestow any credibility on you to perpetuate a thoroughly debunked rumor.
  5. nosreme

nosreme Guest

Whenever an email includes a line about "Snopes says it's true" that's almost certainly a signal that it's anything but.
  6. David13

David13 Active Member Supporting Member

I doubt it.
    I thought the whole thing of "snopes" meant it was not true.
    Starbucks here were open supporters of Open Carry Night, and took a lot of flack about it.
    But nonetheless hosted it.
    I think they will sell their coffee to anyone. Troops, shooters, anti's. Anyone.
    And I think that is what makes ordinary business sense.
    dc
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

This hoax has been circulating the internet for about 6 years. It's not true. In fact Starbucks gives their employees a generous amount of coffee and the employees have in turn donated it to organizations that distribute it to our troops.

Instead of people starting these rumors which hurt businesses, maybe they should be asking themselves what they can do themselves to support our troops.
  8. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

I will still drink it because my local Starbucks has always been friendly to me and other military.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't drink it as I don't like it.
  10. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

Maybe competitors start these rumors and they get undeserved traction. But I remember this particular rumor being debunked.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

starbuck's coffee sucks IMO, never had a decent cup there.

But most OC meets (in the winter anyway) are at starbucks so I end up there about once a month or so...
  12. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Since when does a company HAVE to send free product to soldiers or ANYONE for that matter? And even if they did refuse, how does that make them a bad company?

If people want the soldiers to drink starbucks coffee, then buy it and send it over there yourself.

The whole notion is absurd.
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

+1
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto for me.
  15. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

This is false I sent an e-mail to Starbucks a few years ago about this same thing. They do support the troops. At that time Starbucks was sending coffee to the troops.
  16. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

stuff's to bitter and overpriced for me. thanks but no thanks
  17. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I agree.
  18. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i used to drink plenty of starbucks coffee.. but can't take the cream(fat) and sugar anymore.

I have switched to splenda and can do the un flavored non creamed cofee's.. but I miss it ( the flavor) the most.

I do occasionally have a dark roast.. and have tried the instant coffeee they sell. it's not bad.. and in fact. you can add it to other things as a good flavorant... I drink fatfree/skim milk, and found some sugar free choclate syrup for it.. I found that adding the powdered starbucks coffee makes an interesting drink.

hit it in the blender with some crushed ice and it's 'almost' there.. :)
  19. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

This Starbuck issue has nothing to do with how the coffee tastes or if you use cream and sugar. Starbucks has been attacked by liberal antigun groups for not joining the war on the 2nd Amendment. Their primary customer base is very liberal. Starbucks has said regardless they go by local gun laws. If your local laws approve OC or CCW it is legal with in their stores. I must say I have to admire them. P.S. the nearest Starbucks to me is 100 miles away.:)
  20. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I prefer Folgers.