I Can See Clearly Now

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Brass Tacks, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

Since switching to Meprolight Tritium sights on my Kimber Compact Stainless it has been very difficult for me to see the front sight with these old eyes, regardless of the lighting conditions. I have no such problem with the Tritiums on my Springfield EMP or my Wilson CQB that has a gold bead front and rear U groove Battlesight.

With nothing much to loose I went to Testors model paint for a solution. I painted the rear capsules with flat black and the front sight completely in safety orange. Today at the range it made all the difference in the world.

[​IMG]

I'm holding lefty because the camera's shutter button is on the right
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

looks good
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with that color on the front sight. I have used my wife's orange finger nail polish and it makes a big difference.
  4. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

As our eyes get some years on them we do have to be inventive! So far, I've been good with NS and FO fronts and black rear sights. I have gone the fingernail polish route on the front of my SP101 and that's okay. On my Ruger 22/45 I mounted a red dot (holographic), wow, what a difference that made compared to the old black-on-black!

Do whatever works to keep you pulling the trigger!
  5. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

a while back I put a Burris FastFire halo sight on my Mark II and it works great!
  6. aryfrosty

aryfrosty New Member

I did pretty much the same thing on my Para C6.45LDA. It had the factory 3 white dot sights and my eyes just didn't work well with them. I painted the rear sight flat black and the front in fluorescent orange.
  7. Ed Wagner

Ed Wagner Member

Put a HI VIZ fiber optic orange front on my ruger .17 hmr single six did wonders, got one coming for my PT 1911, got to agree old and trifocals requires some tech support.