I can't decide which to get, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Kasatka, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

I can't decide which pistol to get: CZ-75, Steyr M9, or H&K USP 9mm [Fullsize]. Price isn't an issue, but just to throw it out there;

[Prices are OUT THE DOOR cost]
    CZ-75: $420 NIB
    Steyr M9: $320 NIB
    H&K USP 9mm: $530 NIB

This would be for the range and, God forbid, having to defend the home. I am very much partial to the USP myself, although it's weighty price tag is a bit of a deterrant. Still, it's about $200 less than I've seen it anywhere else.

If you have any other suggestions for a very high quality pistol for under $500 out the door I'd really appreciate it.

Also, anyone have any experience with any of those handguns? It would be great if I could hear some first person feedback.
  2. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I have to admit, of the three, I only have first-hand experience with the CZ-75. I own one.

It is a fine firearm, one I'm proud to own. The workmanship is excellent. The design is top-notch. The reliability is extremely high. It's also an accurate weapon.

As far as the M9 goes, I've seen both good and bad reviews of it. The sights are one of the main objections to its design. Also, the key only operates when the weapon is cocked. Why only lock a loaded pistol?

The USP is HK's premier handgun design. Like you said, very nice, but a bit pricey. If I were purchasing a USP, however, I'd go for the .45, rather than the 9mm. I've not heard one bad thing about the USP.
  3. Keola

Keola New Member

Currently Springfield, VA. Soon to be back home i
    For about the same price of the CZ, you can get a Springfield XD in either 9MM, .357 or .40. If that sale is still going on it comes with 2 Hi cap mags and a Fobus paddle holster.

I've had this pistol for about 8 months and run about 1200 rounds through it. I shot the first 600 rounds through it without cleaning it (just a ittle oil before shooting) and I might have had 3 FTE's during that time. But since then, no FTE's. Once in a while, the slide would release by itself when I insert the magazine during speed loads.

Breakdowna nd cleaning is fairly easy. During cleaning the only problem I encountered was the white came out from the front sight.

Hope this helps.

If you still can't make up your mind..............get a 1911.
  4. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

Thanks yall for your comments. On note of caliber, I'm sticking with 9mm.

Keola, I had a feeling someone would throw the 1911 out there. :D

Also, where is this sale for an XD you're talking about?
  5. Keola

Keola New Member

I do most of my price checking on galleryofguns.com since it lets me find the best deal in my area based on zip code. Then I check out gunbroker and auctionarms to see if I can get a better deal. I would say though, galleryofguns may be just a little higher by about $25-$50, but it might be worth it because gallery of guns has a lifetime guarantee. I checked galleryofguns today and they are out, but I did find it on auction arms and gunbroker.

Package deal
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6615021

I think this might be the best deat yet. But with out the lifetime guarantee.
    http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6407628

just the pistol
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=31091450

Hope this helps.
  6. Keola

Keola New Member

If you do go on gallery of guns to check it out and it is in stock, click on the order on-line button and enter your zip code. You will most likely get a lower price then the MSRP. Do the registration (it's free) and find an FFL to do the transfer.

I did it for a Para LTC and the whole thing took about 3 days. From ordering and giving my deposit, to picking up at the FFL and paying the balance.
  7. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

After handling 7 different styles of handguns today, from Glocks, Berettas, H&K, CZs, etc. there was no doubt in my mind that the H&K USP is the best handgun I've ever held in my life, and I've handled quite a few. The build quality was ridiculously good, from the finish to the machining. The trigger was as smooth as a traditional DA can get and I absolutely loved how the gun felt and operated in my hand, even down to the ambi mag release (which many complain about for some reason).

Not to mention the one I handled in 9mm was $700 NIB, making the price of $530 OTD I found even sweeter. ;)

So, it's settled, and I'm ordering it on Monday. :D

Thanks for your imput y'all. I'll post pics as soon as I get the new toy. :cool:
  8. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

If you can get an HK for less than $600.... BUY IT!! ( just make sure it is the right model for you, they got like ... ...9 differrent ways you can have it designed. ie...righty, lefty, DAO, DA first, safety changes...blahblahblah )I have shot a few, and although wide grips arent my favorite, They truly are one of the best guns made. I tried one of those Steyr pistols... I loves the sights, but didnt care for the gun at all. The CZ's, for the $$$, has always been a good choice. But I have to agree with Keola ; try one of the XD's. My buddy has one that I peel out of his hands every chance I get. ( the compact one, it feels so right in my hand. Accurate as heck for a short barrel too ) but IMHO.....

Take a serious look at the Makarov. Mine was somethin lke $300 OTD with 2000 rounds to practice with, and 200 rounds of some hollow points. Ask anyone, these little guns are one of the most reliable guns ever made. I know for a fact that when I pull the trigger, it will go bang. And after all the practicing I got to do with it, anything bigger than a quarter within 25 yards is toast.

ya ya ya... 9MM!!! So what if the mak is 9x18 instead of 9x19... if you think you need more power than a Mak can deliver.....Get a 1911

--Beagle
  9. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

I was seriously considering getting a bulgie Makarov for ages, but after shooting one I decided not too. It's a great gun, no doubt, just not for me, yknow?

And contrary to most people, I think the USP's grips are the perfect size, but I've got a pretty big hand too.
  10. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Go with what feels right for you. I dont like the Sig's too much either for the same reason. I love the 1911 grip. Feels so right, I can come up and acquire target VERY fast. With practice, any gun will do. But one that feels so right just seems to know where you wanted to place a bullet.

Remember, A well placed .22 is better than a .45 that misses.

--Beagle
  11. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

Well, when I went to order the USP, the sale had ended the day before, which was a real bummer. BUT, I did still get that NIB Steyr M9 for a steal of a price, and after shooting it today, I found it to be just as good, if not better in some cases, than the USP. I know it's hard to believe, but trust me when I say Steyr got it right when they designed the M9! So, suffice to say, I saved a couple hundred dollars, still got a remarkable handgun, and am very happy with it.

Again thanks for your guys' suggestions.
  12. Keola

Keola New Member

Congrats on your new addition to the family!!
  13. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Congrats on the new gun! :)