I can't help myself

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gunfreakboy, Oct 9, 2006.

1. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

It seems that everytime somebody comes up with a good deal I can't refuse. Even if it means eating peanut and jelly for lunch all week. I picked up this awesome Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC with a 45 ACP cylinder in the original box for a mere 200 bucks. I would grade it 95 to 98%. The acp cylinder doesn't appear to have been fired but does have slight ring on outside. The box is kinda beat up and there is no paperwork. Can anybody give me a value and date of manufacture. I am also curious if I can use the acp cyl. in my vaquero. Thanks. Serial number is written in chalk on side of box.

Attached Files:

2. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

I posted it in the wrong column. Don't know how to get it to "ask the professionals " column.

I moved it for you. -- SoMo
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Can't help on the date and cylnder but It is preety and one heck of a deal
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Known as the "Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible"

serial number dates it mid 1975, but just so you know....the 45LC/45ACP was discontinued in 1985 and I`m not sure I would think about sticking the 45acp in the other.

LTS
  5. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

Thanks for the reply. I know that both the Rugers are new model, two screw and the cylinders appear to be identical but I was concerned about any slight machining variances. So I won't try it. It also says on the box that the last three numbers should match the acp cylinder. They aren't stamped, just engraved.
  6. Goody

Goody Member

"I am also curious if I can use the acp cyl. in my vaquero"

You have a 50-50 chance that it will work. There is no danger that I am aware of in trying. If it doesn't time up and spin right, don't force it.
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

One of the great Ruger qualities, they electropencil partial serial numbers rather than stamp them.......looks wonderful huh?????

The bolts of bolt action guns are the same, and if you ever do buy a Ruger bolt gun make sure you check the bolt for a matching number.

LTS
  8. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

You had best turn yourself in right now, because you STOLE the gun at that price.
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Those spare cylinders are hand fitted to the gun they come with, that's why they put matching numbers on them. You are looking for trouble if you try it in a pistol for which it wasn't made.
  10. lead

lead Active Member

The lowest price I ever see on them here is around $275. You did good on this deal. Congrats!
  11. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

WHYnHELL can't I "fall into" stuff like that???

I would LOVE to have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45LC for my Deer Gun and for only 2 bills???

I bought one back in like 84 or 85, NIB, in .44mag,for $175 dealer price, when I lived in Ohio when Ohio was discussing allowing handguns for Deer, a week after I bought it, they announced Ohio would NOT allow it THAT YEAR, I got PO'ed, somebody offered me $225 and I SOLD it, not like month later Ohio DNR said something like "However, NEXT year we WILL....:eek: :mad: :D "

One of the "Still Kicking Myself Deals" of my life....;)
  12. Polish, I'll bet you are still kicking yourself over all those super nice Mauser K98s you've passed up over the years, right? :eek: :D :p