1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I.D. my "Rossi .38 special" snubby gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by myc1972, Jun 12, 2011.

1. myc1972

myc1972 New Member

Hello,
    I want to know informaytion on this Rossi Revolver .38 Special. I want to know as much information as i can get on it. Like when it was made? what model and age, etc.?

On the right side it says, "IND. BRAS, MARC, REG." around a Rossi name in a circle. It's behind the cylinder, under the hamer area.

Below the cylinder it says "Made in Brazil FIREARMS INT'L CORP. WASHINGTON DC."

On the barrel it says ".38 SPECIAL"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    On the Left side it says on the barrel " AMADEO ROSSI & CIA SAO LEOPOLDO R.S.

Grips are traditional walnut style. the gun is B finish but has steel color hammer and trigger.

It's a Five shot!

Thank you in advance for your help and time!

Attached Files:

2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Amadeo Rossi & Cia - Brazilian firearms manufacturer - now part of the conglomerate (BRAZTECH) that also owns TAURUS - at one time part of the conglomerate (BANGOR PUNTA) that also owned Smith & Wesson. The Rossi revolvers gained quite a bit from that prior association as S&W engineers were sent to the Rossi plant to improve their revolvers lines and what came out of that was a South American made copy of the "1950s-60s" S&W lock work.
    Your piece looks to be a Model 68 - 5 shot .38SPL, offered with 2 or 3" barrel, blued or Nickel finish, wood or rubber grips and discontinued in 1998.
    Not much else to tell - except I would be leary of using +P ammo. I've owned a Rossi .357 Magnum Model 971VRC (vented rib compensated) and I found it to be an excellent revolver with respect to action, trigger pull, accuracy and polished stainless finish.
    From what I read - second hand knowledges is dangerous - Rossi hand gun quality is hit or miss. Let's hope you got a good one, as did I.
    Current RETAIL values for the Rossi handguns is not high. A M68 in 100%/NIB condition runs in the $150 - $175 range. Value drops pretty rapidly after that down to $90 - $100 in 90% and on down from there.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree with not shooting the +P ammo in this gun. It will shoot it, but it won't stay together for long if you do use it on a regular bassis. I would shoot .38 special only in it for practice, and carry +P's for SD only.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I believe it is a misdemeanor in 37 states to use the word Special and Rossie together in the same sentence. :D:D:D:D
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to the forum MYC ! Don't worry, we won't rib ya too hard, I've shot a few Rossi's and they've all done their job. Yours appears to be in good condition; keep the +P out of it and you should have a great gun for years to come.

Ron.... you're killin me......:lmao2: way to take it easy on the new guy....:dontknow::D
  6. myc1972

myc1972 New Member

Thanks Jim! And to everyone else for giving me great info and advise! I started to give up on anyone helping me out so i had not checked back in a while. Thank you for greeting me to the forum and not being to hard on the new guy!
    I love how this gun feels and handles. It feels like it was high quality, so i think i got one of the really good ones from Rossi.
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

myc,
    You're welcome - we're all glad to help out - sometimes it takes awhile for someone to come up with something.
    Thanks for thanking.
    As for being a new guy - drop and give me 20!
  8. myc1972

myc1972 New Member

LOL! :D
  9. gman51

gman51 New Member

I know I m late reply on this but anyway here it is.
    I have a Rossi very similar to yours but the Rossi badge on grips is smaller on my grips. Mine also says made in Brasil Interarms Alexandria Virginia. Maybe mine is actually a Rossi not / Taurus. I bought the gun used in early 90's for around $140. Actually it was first pistol I bought and it was for the wife. The gun still looks like new.It surprised me I could shoot it with the short barrel as accurate if not more so than many of my other pistols. It does make a good little pocket carry gun. Loaded it weighs 24 OZ. and that makes it the 3rd lightest gun I own.
    Is there such a thing as being late talking about guns? Always interesting to me. I guess seeing I am a newby might excuse me. Ya think?
  10. myc1972

myc1972 New Member

Thank you!

There is no such thing as being Late!

:D
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

:lmao2: Oh yeah, you've never met my wife.
  12. Bill594

Bill594 New Member

Bill here,
    I just received a Rossi 38 special 5 shot revolver exactly the same description as myc1972. My next door neighbor gave it to me when he passed away last month.. I was trying to find a manuel for it but no luck. Ser# is 9332 with G556 on the crane. I tried calling Rossi but after 30 minutes on wait I gave up.
    Mine has what looks to be plastic grips with a round silver logo at top of grip.
    Looks to be in excellent shape. Very small! Good pocket gun. Although in California I can't get a CCW. How can I put a date of manufacture on this revolver? Would like to get better grips for it.
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  14. Bill594

Bill594 New Member

Thanks but I've seen that one. Does not cover my Model.