I.D. my "Rossi .38 special" snubby gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by myc1972, Jun 12, 2011.

1. myc1972

myc1972 New Member

Hello,
    I want to know informaytion on this Rossi Revolver .38 Special. I want to know as much information as i can get on it. Like when it was made? what model and age, etc.?

On the right side it says, "IND. BRAS, MARC, REG." around a Rossi name in a circle. It's behind the cylinder, under the hamer area.

Below the cylinder it says "Made in Brazil FIREARMS INT'L CORP. WASHINGTON DC."

On the barrel it says ".38 SPECIAL"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    On the Left side it says on the barrel " AMADEO ROSSI & CIA SAO LEOPOLDO R.S.

Grips are traditional walnut style. the gun is B finish but has steel color hammer and trigger.

It's a Five shot!

Thank you in advance for your help and time!

Attached Files:

2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Amadeo Rossi & Cia - Brazilian firearms manufacturer - now part of the conglomerate (BRAZTECH) that also owns TAURUS - at one time part of the conglomerate (BANGOR PUNTA) that also owned Smith & Wesson. The Rossi revolvers gained quite a bit from that prior association as S&W engineers were sent to the Rossi plant to improve their revolvers lines and what came out of that was a South American made copy of the "1950s-60s" S&W lock work.
    Your piece looks to be a Model 68 - 5 shot .38SPL, offered with 2 or 3" barrel, blued or Nickel finish, wood or rubber grips and discontinued in 1998.
    Not much else to tell - except I would be leary of using +P ammo. I've owned a Rossi .357 Magnum Model 971VRC (vented rib compensated) and I found it to be an excellent revolver with respect to action, trigger pull, accuracy and polished stainless finish.
    From what I read - second hand knowledges is dangerous - Rossi hand gun quality is hit or miss. Let's hope you got a good one, as did I.
    Current RETAIL values for the Rossi handguns is not high. A M68 in 100%/NIB condition runs in the $150 - $175 range. Value drops pretty rapidly after that down to $90 - $100 in 90% and on down from there.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree with not shooting the +P ammo in this gun. It will shoot it, but it won't stay together for long if you do use it on a regular bassis. I would shoot .38 special only in it for practice, and carry +P's for SD only.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I believe it is a misdemeanor in 37 states to use the word Special and Rossie together in the same sentence. :D:D:D:D
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to the forum MYC ! Don't worry, we won't rib ya too hard, I've shot a few Rossi's and they've all done their job. Yours appears to be in good condition; keep the +P out of it and you should have a great gun for years to come.

Ron.... you're killin me......:lmao2: way to take it easy on the new guy....:dontknow::D
  6. myc1972

myc1972 New Member

Thanks Jim! And to everyone else for giving me great info and advise! I started to give up on anyone helping me out so i had not checked back in a while. Thank you for greeting me to the forum and not being to hard on the new guy!
    I love how this gun feels and handles. It feels like it was high quality, so i think i got one of the really good ones from Rossi.
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

myc,
    You're welcome - we're all glad to help out - sometimes it takes awhile for someone to come up with something.
    Thanks for thanking.
    As for being a new guy - drop and give me 20!
  8. myc1972

myc1972 New Member

LOL! :D
  9. gman51

gman51 New Member

I know I m late reply on this but anyway here it is.
    I have a Rossi very similar to yours but the Rossi badge on grips is smaller on my grips. Mine also says made in Brasil Interarms Alexandria Virginia. Maybe mine is actually a Rossi not / Taurus. I bought the gun used in early 90's for around $140. Actually it was first pistol I bought and it was for the wife. The gun still looks like new.It surprised me I could shoot it with the short barrel as accurate if not more so than many of my other pistols. It does make a good little pocket carry gun. Loaded it weighs 24 OZ. and that makes it the 3rd lightest gun I own.
    Is there such a thing as being late talking about guns? Always interesting to me. I guess seeing I am a newby might excuse me. Ya think?
  10. myc1972

myc1972 New Member

Thank you!

There is no such thing as being Late!

:D
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

:lmao2: Oh yeah, you've never met my wife.
  12. Bill594

Bill594 New Member

Bill here,
    I just received a Rossi 38 special 5 shot revolver exactly the same description as myc1972. My next door neighbor gave it to me when he passed away last month.. I was trying to find a manuel for it but no luck. Ser# is 9332 with G556 on the crane. I tried calling Rossi but after 30 minutes on wait I gave up.
    Mine has what looks to be plastic grips with a round silver logo at top of grip.
    Looks to be in excellent shape. Very small! Good pocket gun. Although in California I can't get a CCW. How can I put a date of manufacture on this revolver? Would like to get better grips for it.
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  14. Bill594

Bill594 New Member

Thanks but I've seen that one. Does not cover my Model.