I did it! I did it!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rglbegl, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I bought a couple books, a set of dies, and a reloader.

Today I reloaded my first rounds. They are 300 winmags, and they are getting super expensive, so reloading is the best way to go.

I spent so much time online looking up what the best loads are. Then referenced my books and manufacturers websites to see what would work the best. And after a bunch of time, I now have 50 of my own reloaded 300's.

I feel like a proud new father, so I had to pat myself on the back

If anyone on here wants to share their favorite 300 winmag loads, I would love your insight.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I am really glad for ya. It feels nice to reload. There are many more things invoved that you will need to do in the future like trim cases. You may want to get a tool to measure OAL. Stuff like that. I don't reload 300 mag the biggest i reload is 308. Again glad you caught the bug.
  3. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I have a digital caliper, case cutters, reamers, primer pocket cleaners . . .. . the whole bit. And all my info is going in to a excel spreadsheet to keep records.
    I will be reloading 7.62x39, 308, and 300 winmag. The pistol reloader is coming next.

I actually researched this for a while before taking the plunge.
    But being new, any and all advice is always appreciated.
  4. XP100

XP100 Member

Did you load the 50 rounds all the same or groups of 5 with different powder charges? When I started I loaded about 300 rounds for my 357(all the same) my gun didn't like the load at all. I had to pull over 200 bullets and work up a load for my particular gun.
    If you are proud of your first reloads now wait until you shoot them and get an excellent groug with your ammo.
  5. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Congrats on your first 50 rglbegl!! :D May I recommend that you purchase a kinetic puller. As a beginner, you'll find that making mistakes are normal. Don't worry about it...... everyone does, & anyone who says they don't are lying!! :rolleyes:

Something I learned [the hard way :rolleyes:] when first starting to roll my own, was to not make 50 rds @ a time w/o first testing them. Load a few & test. Load 5-10 of each @ a time & test them..... then, after finding a load that both you & your firearm like - load 50 or more w/o worries.

IMHO, there's nothing worse than loading up a bunch of rds only to find out later that they don't shoot well or that your firearm doesn't function properly if at all.

Don't be afraid to look dumb!! Ask questions!! When I started reloading, I didn't have the internet & learned from making mistakes that could've been avoided had I been able to ask someone like can be done here @ a firearms forum.

That's my .02 after tax.... have fun & welcome to the club! ;)

SR :)
  6. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

@ XP100: I was typing [slowly!] while you posted..... kinda funny that we thought & said the same thing isn't it. ;) :D

SR
  7. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I loaded the Tubbs final finish.
    I called them and got the load data, so hopefully they were right.

I am not concerned about the accuracy while running the polishing bullets through the gun. But once that is over, I do plan on making groups of 10-12 bullets at a time.

The internet is very helpful, I can learn from other peoples mistakes.
    It seems most people agree on the ingredients for making accurate rounds, so I will have a great starting point when it comes to bullet weight and powder weight.