I did not let this deer walk

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by MarkB, Feb 2, 2010.

1. MarkB

MarkB New Member

I was not having very good luck till I got this pic of this buck, then figured out his pattern and took him the last day. The only bad thing in the week it took me to figure him out he broke one of his long tines.

Attached Files:

2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    nice buck,three years ago i shot a real nice buck,thought it was gonna be a 10 point however after putting the deer down i discovered it only had one set on the left side and the entire rt side was broken off.im pretty sure it got hit by a car at some point.i will give you this,after shooting two 12 point bucks in the last 5 years im more interested in the meat,not the rack.i did not mount either of my 12 points. old semperfi
  3. Ranger-1

Ranger-1 New Member

You Monster......lol
  4. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

What a good meal!
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice Buck! What did you make the shot with if you dont mind me asking?
  6. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Very nice! Like most of the old timers here the racks dont mean a lot to me anymore.Looks like a better than average animal, its a shame he broke that point but too me its still a nice one! Yeah what were you using, how far, etc?
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  7. MarkB

MarkB New Member

Zane I got him with my bow. Like some of you guys the rack is not the most important thing. A heart shot with the bow is what I try for, weather it be a big buck or a doe. I have never shot at a deer with a rifle that I did not kill.
    It is one of those things that, I have passed on alot of bad shots on deer, but there are not many good shot that I did not take.

Attached Files:

8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Well Mark, you definatly took the "one shot, one kill" to the letter, Great shot!
    The heart shot if one can place the broadhead there is the ultimate shot. I always go for that shot but not always as proficient.
    Ive made lung shots before and Ive always got them. But one year I shot an 8point in a heavy rain one morning at about 45 yards...long shot I know, but it was one of those times ya cant decide and I took the shot.
    As soon as it ran off towards a deep creek I began tracking it as the rain was washing all the trail away almost faster then I could keep up. After 150 yards+ of "trying" to track it I gave up thinking it would expire in the general area and I'd come back. I came back latter that afternoon as the rain didnt let up...and with the help of 3 others passing over and over the area, we found it about 50yards short of where I had left off and the coyotes had already found it.
    However had it not of been a rain like it was, I would have waited and tracked, but I really didnt have that option. (getting all off course here) Sorry...I get into bow hunting maybe too much!

GREAT shot Mark! BTW, how far was your shot?
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  9. MarkB

MarkB New Member

He was less than 15 yards, where I was I could not much futher than that. I was 15 feet up in a treestand with a sent pad out and I could see him trotting toward me, then he stopped at the pad, I put the sight pin where it needed to be and let it fly.