I didn't know this....

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ofitg, Nov 12, 2010.

1. ofitg

ofitg New Member

OK, I'm an old fart and I don't keep up with all the modern gizmos. Perhaps everybody else knew about this already, but here goes...

Just heard on the news that photos taken with certain cellphones can be tagged with GPS coordinates..... post one of those photos online, and tech-savvy strangers can pinpoint the location where that photo was taken.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/money/cons...-your-children's-home,-school,-and-play-areas

As the story points out, this can be a serious security threat.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. Naybor

Naybor New Member

Yeah, My phone has the GPS feature on it too. I can go into the settings where there are three possibilities listed
    1. On all the time.
    2. On for 911 only.
    3. Off

I keep mine set for "911 only" as I guess there are times that would be beneficial.
    The police dispatcher has the technology to read where I am if the feature is "on", and not if off. Maybe others can too. I really don't know about the pictures. That might be something to research!

I agree, the new "droid" and other newfangled phones are way over my head.

I just want a regular cellphone, and to be honest, it would be hard to do without one now.

10-4 on the "old fart"! (66 year old kid)
  3. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

I remember when the protesting was going on in Iran. Our people were advising them to
    remove the simm card and battery when they moved so they couldn't be tracked.
  4. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I read in today's paper where a new cell phone is about to hit the market that has speech to text capabilities. Hello! Do they not know that if you're gonna bother to talk into the damn thing, the people who would read the text message could just as easily hear you? That's why they call it a PHONE!
  5. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

I completely agree. That's why I don't have a cell phone. To many people would rather text something for an hour that would take 10 minutes to say.
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Most digital cameras embed information called EXIF data. If the camera has a GPS chip, this data is recorded, unless turned off. That data follows the photograph wherever it goes, unless purposely removed. With certain programs, one can enter GPS data into the EXIF storage area, which might prove interesting should the photograph ever become court evidence.

Pops