I don’t want to be Army..

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Gunship
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/22/01 4:07:50 pm)
    | Del All I don’t want to be Army..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read this Topic, Some M16 Guns pointed toward me again. But what the heck, I have mini guns:
    Anytime, Cover for slick to drop troop to Landing Zone.
    Sometimes real hot LZ, my feed freed, my hand shaked makes my ship ran like horse, my 2 hard balls were gone, my cirarette burned my lips I didn’t even know.. That situation for us only a little time were in there.
    But for them, the Army, they have to stay there for to night, for tomorrow, for nights, for days.. for fighting.

I really told my self that time “I don’t want to be Army..”
    That why I loved your Guys.

GS.

Remf
    (10/22/01 7:32:01 pm)
    | Del Re: I don’t want to be Army..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But that big bird sure made a big inviting target. All enemy guns would turn towards you when you guys showed up.

Gunship
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 8:40:18 am)
    | Del > I don’t want to be Army..
    Yes Remf:
    Exactly what all my Army friends told me:
    " Heh !! We thought, It's more scare up there then and you should better think about your big ass up there, we have many ways to survive then.."..
    Man.. They may be right too.. The saved my ass for rescued me twice ..

I still want to be a Choper Pilot..
    So I loved the Bird Guys too..

GS.

longshot1
    (10/23/01 10:12:33 am)
    | Del Re: > I don’t want to be Army..

That's funny Gunship. You made me remember how it used to feel like my arse was two miles wide despite every effort to make it smaller. Used to say the pucker factor got so high you had to be careful not to suck up the seat cushion.
    Good thing we don't have to fly those missions now, cause it is.

NickG

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (10/23/01 10:29:07 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: > I don’t want to be Army..

You had a seat cushion???? We used to use the chicken plate to sit on!

longshot1
    (10/23/01 3:56:25 pm)

(They) were under the seat cushion.
    Remember how that was one strange feeling, trying to walk when your butt fell asleep. Don't forget we lowly EM had no seat armor. I always wondered about the fairness of that. It didn't make me feel loved. LOL

NickG

dap22
    (10/23/01 6:28:25 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    With you on the seat armor........ it would have been used, however, very little in the dustoff business since the crewchief and medic were constantly in and out of the aircraft and when enroute with casualties, were generally scurrying around patching and doing what they could to make the patients comfortable. But hey, those B models had a fantastic skin which offered more than adequate protection, didn't they (atleast for 7.62) ???LOL

longshot1
    (10/23/01 8:53:12 pm)

Is that what that tic-tic-tic noise was, damn , I thought it was wood peckers.
    Did I ever tell you how I liked to snap the bungee cords on the back of pilot's seats. lol

NickG

dap22
    (10/24/01 8:30:50 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    For whatever reason, I used to get my bungee snapped a lot...........not sure why. Think it might have been either a hint to wake up or a sign of disapproval.........fill me in on that would ya Nick?

Gunship
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/24/01 8:44:34 am)
    | Del > I don’t want to be Army..
    Dap22: Did you read NickG's story about "the circus in the sky.." Or "to know how to sew saved his life"..
    I like this one.. NickG you need to say "Thanks MOM".

GS.

dap22
    (10/24/01 9:31:45 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    I've not read "The Circus in the Sky" but would love to. How do I find it?? As well as the sewing story................

longshot1
    (10/24/01 11:48:24 am)
    Dap, I think I snapped them just to watch the pilots jump, especially the ones I didn't care for.. Maybe my revenge for their armored seats. You do remember the dumb things we found amusing in our youth. Never got caught and used to stretch it waaaaaaaaaaaay back. I used to free gun so I only sat enroute. I could protect the ship much more effectively from as far outside on the skid as I could get. One such episode that Hieu gets a kick out of i.e. my homemade monkey strap story. Careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

Hieu: I thank her all the time

dap22
    (10/24/01 12:03:25 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Nick:
    If you have the sewing and circus stories handy, I'd much appreciate reading them..... my email is:
    dave.hansco@juno.com

Thanks

Indybear57
    (10/24/01 12:49:32 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Nick-I think you should put it on the board. (Just my .02 worth!)
    KICK ASS U.S.A.!

longshot1
    (10/24/01 6:02:21 pm)

Dap: I didn't mean the bungee cord thing was because your crew didn't like you. When I re-read it , it could be interpreted as such. We crew chiefs just liked to scare the hell out of you guys as you were always doing it to us. lol.
    OK here goes. I don't remember the subject but it had something to do with things we learned from our mothers, mine was sewing. I landed with the 1st. Infantry Div. in 1965. Yes it was us who made it safe for the rest of you. Anyway, while getting the hang of this new fangled war thing. I learned quickly that the bad guys knew enough to shoot the crap out of us once or guns were off target. Thats when I decided to free gun instead of off a mount or cord. There were no such things as monkey straps so I improvised. I traded some Air Force people for a parachute harness and some nylon webbing as C Rats were like gold to them. I remember carefully sewing everything together with safety wire. I would punch a hole with an awl and thread it with the wire. I think I even tucked in all the ends just like she showed me. While involved in action we apparently took hits on a rocket pod and when fired they stuck in the tube and the tube wouldn't eject. Not really enjoying the fire at my feet, I stepped out, kicked at it, stomped on it, and without warning it fell away and so did I. I couldn't get back in so I half hung there with my legs holding on to the skid back to base. As it turned out, the pilot got a medal and I got a reprimand. I finished it with "Thanks Mom".
    I think it was better the first time but that's it in a nutshell. After I realized I wasn't going to fall I remember laughing insanely all the way back.

Trying to write this again just reminded me why I snapped those bungee cords.
    NickG
    PS. didn't pop a single stitch.

dap22
    (10/24/01 6:22:42 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Absolutely a great story......and yes, thanks Mom!!!

I know what you were talking about re: bungees....I think my CE and medic used to snap mine more to keep me awake and signal their disapproval for something now and again, like missing the ash tray with a cigar butt or spilling a beer on the console!!!! LOL

longshot1
    (10/26/01 6:35:48 am)

Cigars.
    That made me think of how difficult it was to light a cigarette back in the crew compartment, as the wind did whip around in there with the doors open. Nothing like a gun fight while smoking a Winston. Christ when I typed that sentence I vividly recalled the feeling of hanging out on a skid shooting for all I was worth with a cigarette clenched in my teeth, firing with one hand, throwing smoke grenades with the other,hanging on for dear life, trying to make my tracers follow the line of green ones reaching for us, damn what a rush. I can not imagine how it must have been to not shoot back and take it all the way down, as you did. I'll just bet we both would have quit if we knew how unhealthy that was. (smoking)lol
    NickG

Gunship
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/26/01 9:00:40 am)
    | Del Winston!!
    You reminded me NickG, I used to burn my lungs by Winston. Yeah, sometimes I found out cigarette with the wet filter only, clenched in my teeth, It was cut almost by 2 pieces.. And sometimes I burned my lips, when I had to use Pall Mall or Lucky Strike with no filter that time.. very tough time isn't it?
    I had been stopped it for 4 years Nicks.. Still missed sometimes that kind of smell, even real bad now.. when chitchat with old buddies about VN, or some drinking or some games.., or thinking...........

GS.

longshot1
    (10/26/01 11:02:03 am)
    | Del Re: Winston!!

That's why I gave up cigars over there. I would always bite them off when I got busy .
    Yeah, I gave them up 9 years ago. I can remember towards the end of my tour I was going through a carton every other day

dap22
    (10/29/01 12:57:50 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Cigars
    Nick:
    Never gave up the cigars......never smoked a cigarette.. the wife absolutely HATES cigars but......I keep telling her it's my only bad habit. Needless to say she has a list of bad habits that I keep forgetting.

Used to get really good cigars in VN for next to nothing. Came back to the States and found I couldn't afford to keep the habit going.

Used to be able to bank an ash off the front panel into the ash tray about 90% of the time, the other times resulted in the bungee being yanked......also used to chew off the ends of the cigars, moreso under stressful conditions. Ah, the memories..............
  2. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

We got free cigarettes in our c-rats boys.
  3. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Hot Dang WHY, that original post went back more than 10 years...Some of those troops used to be our livest participants but they jumped ship...some of them have passed away..I always think of JD when I mention troops reporting to the Supreme Commander....I miss that old guy!!!! Chief