I Don't Even Know What To Say To This "Hunter"...

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Josh Smith, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Josh Smith

Josh Smith New Member

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i aint impressed ,
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It wouldn't open for me. Says it's been moved. What did I miss?
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a bad shot who let a critter suffer... just yabbered on like it was nothing , but zooming in on it ...
  5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Pathetic excuse for hunting. These kind of posts on youtube give hunters a bad name. Great material for the anti's.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Persoanlly, I think the hunter/shooter is doing a fine job at 40 yards, all head shots. Squirrels are hard to kill, even with a head shot. I can almost taste the squirrel, and dumplings! I hunt squirrels a lot, and I can tell you right now that most of the time they don't die when the bullet, or shot, strikes them. They usually do exactly what these squirrels did. They jump, flop, crawl, and try to get away, or simply as a reaction to being shot! Shooting game may not be pretty, but it is what it is. How many times have we shot deer, and watch them kick out their lives, right where they were standing when shot?
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not in my experience. Squirrels shut off just like a computer with a clean head shot. And there is a noticeable difference in post mortem muscular convulsions and flopping around because the bullet didnt hit the brain.. and 40 yds with a scope should be a breeze for anyone. Nearly every one the guy shot was a miss and the animal suffered. And he aint eatn em. just killin. Just another wannabe commando that played too many video games.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

The point is, why do these idiots film this stuff and then put it out there for the haters to see. It does NO ONE any service.
  9. H-D

H-D Active Member

we killed squirrels when I was a kid (for food) I always shot them in the head but my PawPaw shot them in the heart (he liked the brains) I learned at an early age, when you shoot a squirrel pick it up and bash it against the nearest tree..HARD! sometimes you miss and they fall from the tree and get knocked out if they wake up tied to a bunch of their buddies slung over your shoulder it will not be fun (or so PawPaw said) I hate to see a critter suffer I'll kill to eat but if it don't die quick I'll shoot it again
  10. carver

carver Moderator

I have hunted squirrels for over 50 years, and I have killed thousands of them. I have killed over 130 in one season. Squirrels are hard to kill, they don't just lie down and die when shot in the head, or thru the heart/lungs. Yep, a solid brain shot, and they don't move, but that brain is small, and all head shots are not brain shots! I know what I am talking about! Where do you guys get the idea that this man is just shooting squirrels? Where in the video, which I have watched twice, does this guy say he isn't going to eat the squirrels he's shooting? I have head shot them, watched them fall to the ground, and then crawl into a hollow tree. I don't want to insult anyone here, but I think some of you know little about squirrel hunting! I have killed deer, one shot, drop them where they stand, and watched them kick it out right there. All shots do not produce a dead animal upon bullet impact! That's something for the movies!
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    You guys must have tougher squirrels than I do. I use standard velocity 40 gr RN bullets out of both pistol or rifle and I don't remember any still kicking by the time I got over to them to pick them up. More than a few rabbits I had to shoot twice to put them down but not as many as when I used to use hollow points. Only animals I ever lost was a ground hog and a rabbit, both shot with hollow points. I haven't used them for hunting since.

That hunter wasn't a hunter, he was a shooter, no where close to being a sportsman.
  12. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

sorry guys ..got to agree with Carver on this one..fella actuall didnt do to bad, except on the very last one..I would hace hit that one again. the first one would have been hard to get 2nd shot in time. and if you read the comments he did say his family ate fine from his hunting, leading me to think hes eating those fine animals!
  13. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Gonna have to side with carver and hunter here (like anyone really cares :D), as I have never been able to consistently kill squirrels with a well placed head shot with a .22 rifle. A body shot is my most likely kill shot and sometimes they fall stone cold dead and other times they flop over half the county.

Normally, I use my sweet Huglu O/U and carry my S&W 22A for real close shots. Now, my only concern is his use of bait, as is it legal where he hunts?

In Texas you can use bait statewide except for migratory game birds. I'll have to remember that.
  14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I finally got a chance to watch the video. I don't have a problem with shooting squirrels. I just don't understand why he felt the need to film that one die slowly and leave it there :confused:. Not like he was gonna scare them off with that corn bait there.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

How long did it take that squirrel to die? Now how long would it have taken him to walk that 40 yards, and scare off the other squirrels? Maybe a second shot was called for, but that's a decision that we each have to make when hunting. Death isn't pretty, and can get real ugly, but if you want to eat it, you gotta kill it!
  16. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Use 45 70 and you don't have the flopping problem
  17. Josh Smith

Josh Smith New Member

18. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I do enjoy hunting, I don't get any kind of a charge out of watching any animal die a slow death. I think the guy is a little sick!
    He does have a damn good hunting spot.
  19. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I use a .12ga. where I hunt. To many cattle around. And everyone knows how a .22 likes to bounce around.
  20. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Carver , does it matter how long or what effort?

he shot the critter , he should follow it up with ALL effort to ensure it dont suffer needlessly ( as we did not see in the vid)

i eat what i shoot only store bought things here are stuff like tomatoe sauce , (BBq i make myself) , mayonnaise sugar coffee etc the rest i hunt trade etc for , it dont matter , we are All God Creatures and even if you gotta eat it its far better to kill it as fast as humanly possible , even a second shot follow up is fine , thats something

he did nothing but yabber ..

to me thats wrong a few ways eh , not knocking what your saying , just saying it should be done better than what was showed and if not ? how bad are we?