I don't have a C&R license but...........

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 20, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/1/03 2:33:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All I don't have a C&R license but...........
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't have a C&R license but I would like to order from SOG or AIM. Are there people with dealers license I could use to order from some of these companies? How would I locate such a person? I would think that a gun shop would not want to handle such an order.

procrastinator43
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/1/03 7:40:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I don't have a C&R license but...........
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gun shops are in business to make money. Around me they charge about $25 to do the paperwork.

Next, go to the auctions sites and look for the item "find an FFL Dealer". They are listed by state.

Or , try the following site.
    www.shotgunnews.com/fflguide/

Edited by: procrastinator43 at: 3/1/03 7:42:12 pm

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/1/03 9:30:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: I don't have a C&R license but...........
    The gunshop I go to gets 10%. So if you order a $200.00 gun he get $20. That is to order a gun.

For a auction FFL transfer he gets $10 the pawn shop in town gets $10 also.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/3/03 9:37:35 am)
    Most gunshops or pawnshops will gladly do the transfer for a fee. $10 sounds really good to me. The single gunshop in my town charged me an arm and a leg to do a handgun transfer from Centerfire Systems (for a pistol I bought that wasn't C&R).

I'd say just call around and see who has the best rates. You may have to wait a few days for them to send their FFL to AIM or SOG if they don't already have it on file, but it's worth the wait to save some money.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/4/03 8:36:28 am)
    i have seen gun shops that charge as much as 50.00 to do a transfer , why pay them a dime ,when your c&r only cost 30.00 , and you can have them shipped to your door

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/03 10:32:00 am)
    I agree the C&R will save you money, probably even on the first purchase. But for someone who only wants to buy one or two guns with it and will never use it again, it seems like a waste.

Remember, you have to maintain the bound book for something like 25 years after your license expires. Plus, you are subject to BATF inspections during your licensure period, even though they are very rare. If I were "Joe gun buyer" and only wanted a couple of C&R firearms, I don't think I would spring for the C&R license with all the legal strings attached.

If you think you will continue to buy C&R firearms in the future, it is a very handy tool to have, and will save you time and money and frustration.

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 7:51:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Only $30 for a C&R license?
    Gpostal it's only $30 for a C&R license? What other requirements are there?

Edited by: 17th FA Bn at: 3/5/03 7:51:51 am

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/5/03 8:25:10 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Only $30 for a C&R license?
    if you can own a gun , you can get the license

read more here

www.atf.treas.gov/

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 8:32:10 am)
    You can read the BATF's intro page for C&R licensure at www.atf.treas.gov/firearm.../intro.htm

Basically, you have to fill out the C&R application and a citizenship verification form and mail it to the BATF with $30. You also have to provide a copy of your application to your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer. He does not have to approve it; it is only a copy to let him know what you are doing. If he has a legal reason that you shouldn't be allowed to have the license, he needs to take it up with the BATF.

Once your application is received at the BATF National Licensing Center, they will do various background checks on you. Assuming you are approved (which you will be if you can pass a regular NICS check), then you will receive your license and a package of Federal regulations.

You are required to keep a bound book of all C&R purchases and dispositions that are made while you have your license (which is good for 3 years). This allows you to engage in interstate commerce with C&R firearms. You can buy C&R firearms through the mail or over the internet without having to go through a dealer. It is a collector's license, not a license to deal in firearms. You are allowed to sell your C&R firearms, but not as a business. The BATF realizes that buying, selling, and trading are part of collecting, and there is some leeway there.

If you owned C&R firearms prior to getting your license, you don't have to enter them into your bound book unless you sell them. During your licensure period, ANY transaction involving C&R firearms must be recorded, regardless of how you obtained it. So even if you buy a C&R rifle from a buddy, it still must be logged. And if you sell a C&R rifle that you owned for years, it must be logged too, even though you didn't buy it while you had your license.

When you get your license, you do NOT sign the original. You make copies of it and sign the copies in ink. These copies are to be sent to people who you will buy C&R firearms from. They must have your license on file before they can sell you a firearm. Sending your license to companies like Aim, SOG, Century, etc. will allow you to purchase firearms from them with a simple phone call. Also, places like Brownell's will give you a dealer discount on regular gun supplies (like cleaning supplies, etc.).

The BATF may inspect your records up to once a year. You can choose to do the inspection at your premises or at their office. Inspections are fairly rare for C&R FFLs, but they do happen.

The C&R FFL does not supercede any state or local laws concerning firearms. For example, if your state requires registration of handguns (or has restrictions on certain types of handguns), you still must follow those rules, regardless of the new priveleges your C&R license allows you from the Federal perspective.

There are a lot of gray areas, and a lot of confusion regarding the legal limits/priveleges of a C&R FFL. But if you don't mind the Feds being a little more involved in it, then it's a great tool to have.

procrastinator43
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/03 9:04:41 am)
    If you send off for one, do not forget the citizenship form or everything will come to a dead halt.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/9/03 6:49:57 pm)
    And pray it doesn't go through the Atlanta office...it took me like 9 months to get mine. They kept telling me when I called they were "shorthanded..."

17th, I forget where you live...AIM sells long guns over the counter to anybody for a $15 fee over the dealer price via 4473, it might be worth the trip if your state is contiguous to Ohio or on the list they have posted at the counter of all the states that allow reciprical long gun sales to non-residents. Plus you can look at a couple of different ones an pick what you want from them, not get stuck with what they choose to send you.

SOG is CRFFL/dealer only to order, and only pickup of prior orders at least 24hrs in advance at the window, no picking and choosing either.

It's only about 20 miles north of Cincinatti.
    Anybody who thinks money can buy happiness needs to remember Michael Jackson.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/03 8:24:29 am)
    Sniper.....that was the clearest and most concise explanation of C&R I've ever seen....very nicely done!

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/10/03 1:13:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks Polish
    Thanks Polish, I live on the east side of Cincinnati. I think I am going to take a short road trip. I didn't realize they sold over the counter.
  2. piglatinhater

piglatinhater Member

do the citizenship verification form come with the packet?
    Sorry for the thread revival
  3. piglatinhater

piglatinhater Member

Pistolenschutze, thanks for the link, but the first page of a random thread from AR15 (http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=174340) cleared up my question. My packet will include ATF application form F 7CR and ATF US Citizenship certification Form F 5330.20. Now I just wait for them to arrive, fill them out, then wait for a couple months to get my blue packet...:rolleyes:
  4. blather2

blather2 New Member

Let me summarize my experience beginning with a recommendation to go to the cruffler website. Excellent site, but, note the date at the top left, 2002. Changes: ATF no longer under treasury, under justice. http://www.atf.gov/ Forms. The forms were revised in may 05 ATF Form 7 CR (5310.16) Dept of Justice form. You can no longer download the form, even from the ATF web site. Order form: http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm. Took about 9 days to get it, I ordered two just in case. The citizenship form is now included in the application form. You can use a credit card. I recommend it, since I mailed mine 14 Dec 07 and on 18 Dec I saw my credit card charged. Form is now two part. You fill out a 2nd form without credit info to go to the local CLEO chief law enforcement officer. How long does it take to get the license? Not even the swammi knows. This is the only info I found online: "The typical response to the wait to get your license is 4-6 weeks, although many times it's faster. I received mine in 23 days." I found this forum searching for that info. I have looked at the ATF site and it is like a maze. The address to mail forms is atlanta only.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/about.htm
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/011801ffl.htm http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/faqs_collect.htm#q4
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/ffl_faqs.htm
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl_info.htm
    Our Availability Our offices are open to assist you during regular business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time. The Federal Firearms Licensing Center address is: 2600 Century Parkway NE Suite 110 Atlanta, GA 30345
    We may be reached by phone during regular business hours at:
    (404) 417-2750 1-866-662-2750 Our fax number is: (404) 417-2751
    1-866-257-2749 Our e-mail address is: nlc@atf.gov
    Please be aware that our office will be transitioning to a new location in the near future. This address will be in Martinsburg, West Virginia.
    Finally, May 5, 07 http://www.atf.gov/firearms/050407fflc_workload.htm ATF says it has distributed it's workload. As of this date all applications received by the FFLC with a postmark date of 1 May 07 are now assigned by the State of an applicant’s premises address according to the new workload distribution map attached. No word on the results or even a mention of a timeframe.
  5. H Richard

H Richard New Member

My C&R took just over 30 days. The IL office originally sent me the outdated form. I sent it in and got it back along with a new one, and a note to send it back to a specific address. I dia nad had my license within two weeks. Don't forget to send the second copy to your local LEO chief, and on all renewals.
  6. piglatinhater

piglatinhater Member

I received and sent in the new version last week. I guess I'll see what happens within a month or so.
  7. blather2

blather2 New Member

Application sent 14 dec. Received 10 Jan. This was during the holidays! Extremely fast for government.