The Firearms Forum banner

I Don't Know The Maker!

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Old Gun Guy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!
I have this spur trigger revolver that may be a Hopkins & Allen made for Merwin Hulbert, or a different manufacturer. I have studied various pics of the spur trigger revolvers of the different manufactures of this period, and I can't pin this one down. It has factory ivory grips, and is engraved in the floral and punch design. Also, the only markings are "DEFENDER" on the top strap and the serial # 727 under the left grip.
Anybody recognize this one?
Thanks!
Old Gun Guy

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello!
I have this spur trigger revolver that may be a Hopkins & Allen made for Merwin Hulbert, or a different manufacturer. I have studied various pics of the spur trigger revolvers of the different manufactures of this period, and I can't pin this one down. It has factory ivory grips, and is engraved in the floral and punch design. Also, the only markings are "DEFENDER" on the top strap and the serial # 727 under the left grip.
Anybody recognize this one?
Thanks!
Old Gun Guy
It's an Iver Johnson. The "engraving" resembles that H&A used, but their spur triggers had a different cylinder pin latch.

#5 ·
Yes, it is pretty standard "bench engaving", done by a factory employee. In the 1880's, Defender revolvers sold for $1.50 for the .22; $2.60 for the .32, and $2.80 for the .38. Engraving cost cost a whole $.25 extra. (For comparison, the Colt SAA was $14.)

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.