1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I Don't Know The Maker!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Old Gun Guy, May 17, 2012.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    I have this spur trigger revolver that may be a Hopkins & Allen made for Merwin Hulbert, or a different manufacturer. I have studied various pics of the spur trigger revolvers of the different manufactures of this period, and I can't pin this one down. It has factory ivory grips, and is engraved in the floral and punch design. Also, the only markings are "DEFENDER" on the top strap and the serial # 727 under the left grip.
    Anybody recognize this one?
    Thanks!
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It's an Iver Johnson. The "engraving" resembles that H&A used, but their spur triggers had a different cylinder pin latch.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Manufactured 1873-1888. Per Goforth, IJ serial numbered 1-99999, then started over, so the number would not really be a true serial number for the total production.

Jim
  4. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Thanks fellas! Do you think the engraving was done at the factory?
    Old Gun Guy
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Yes, it is pretty standard "bench engaving", done by a factory employee. In the 1880's, Defender revolvers sold for $1.50 for the .22; $2.60 for the .32, and $2.80 for the .38. Engraving cost cost a whole $.25 extra. (For comparison, the Colt SAA was $14.)

Jim
  6. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Thanks again Jim! That $.25 extra charge for engraving was probably a day's wages back then.
    Old Gun Guy