The Firearms Forum banner

I finally won an on-line auction for a pistol!

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  WHSmithIV 
#1 ·
So, a week ago I was surprised. I've been making bids on pieces I'm interested in for months since I found the only two auction sites worth actually using. I research all of the pieces before figuring what my absolute top price will be, taking into consideration the shipping cost and the FFL transfer cost. Those two costs will add for sure anywhere from $50-65 on your final winning bid. Lo and behold I won a 38 Special revolver for $53. Now, this isn't the top of the line, greatest piece in the world, it was made by Rohm in Germany back in the early 70's, but it is in great condition.

Before anyone buts in and says that the Rohm guns were crap, the model 38S actually wasn't - just don't fire +P loads though it. By the time Rohm addressed their problems and came out with higher quality, their reputation was so bad that they couldn't fix it. So, my total cost is just about $100 - not to bad since I live in the middle of nowhere and just to go somewhere to browse used firearms costs $35 in gasoline.

I'm looking forward to this piece getting here :)

#4 · (Edited)
Great score, if that is what you want.

It is probably going to cost you $35 in gasoline to be able to pick it up from your FFL dealer, unless you have an FFL yourself.
Actually, in the tiny town of Arco we have 3 FFL dealers (only one of them actually sells guns and only new ones) which means I only have to drive 5 miles :)

#11 ·
Been a LOOOONNNNGGGG time since I have bid on an online gun auction. But you have to pay to bid now!?
No, I wouldn't be so stupid as to even consider using a 'pay to bid' site. Sites built on that concept are all scams. I only bid on a traditional style auction site.

#13 ·
No, I wouldn't be so stupid as to even consider using a 'pay to bid' site. Sites built on that concept are all scams. I only bid on a traditional style auction site.
glad to hear that. I agree, penny auctions are bad news.

#14 ·
WHSmithIV Moore Idaho? I'm in Middleton.

#17 ·
Yea - I was thrilled to win the auction because by having done so I found out what's involved with arranging for an interstate purchase on-line. So, the process has been educational also.

#21 ·
I won't be giving up this pistol easily - I will keep it completely restored. This .38 will be a lot easier to teach my wife to shoot with also since it has nowhere near the kick of my 1911. I can see in online tracking that it has left Kentucky on it's way to Idaho. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday :). I will post some pictures as soon as it arrives!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.