I found another ! (.22 lr LSA made)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jack404, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

got a call the other day from a gent at the gun club asking if i was interested in a old .22 rifle

i said sure and he came round today

its a Lithgow small arms made for Mick Simmons sports stores ( a very early civilian seller here) SN# 231 no foolin .. matching numbers all round ( bolt barrel and even the firing pin all match !!!)

its got external rust and now i have it stripped down the rust under the wood is rather nasty but not fatal , the wood is rather poor but i can redo that

and the muzzle has grey lead paint on it ! ( none in the bore thankfully)

i asked the gent what he wanted and he told me a dealer ( i can guess who) offered him $60 and explained it would take about $300 to restore

i explained to the gent that was a bit cheap , as these in the sub 1000 are highly collectable here and are damn fine shooters ( i have one as my main .22) and that there'd be no real costs just a lot of time

only thing missing is where the mag fit's in , the pressed metal surround is missing as are the screws and the mag release ( i'll make these again)

i offered him $120 and explained this would most likely end up one of my grandkids rifles

he's real happy with the price

now i just gotta run him up to the police on monday and we'll do the transfer there on the spot

only non blurred pic i have of it as i did not take it ..

Attached Files:

2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice Jack!
    And with #231....dang. I'm not familiar with the mfg. but that looks like a heavey barrel on it?
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yes it is, they lightened the barrels at about the 1200 mark so the first thousand made are well sought after , while it wont feed .22WMR via the mag ( without mod's ) you can safely slip one up the spout by hand if needed and let it rip , and very accurate for a all .22 rifle ( will fire shorts longs long rifle and wmr )
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

from a old forum post here from a guy who used to work at LSA

Aha, another fan. As I told someone the other day on here , these rifles were designed to kill things with and keep doing it for your life and all your kids. The barrels were made from 303 blanks, as were the stocks. The action is extremely well engineered and one of the slickest around. The trigger is screw adjustable and can be made to break very nicely. They bear incredible similarities to the Winchester 69 a of the same era and the yanks love those things to death. They were designed by Linoel Bibby, whi was a greta Australian trick shooter and spent a lot of time in the States. I am sure he saw the 69A and copied it. With some mods they used to hold there own against the European stuff of that era in competition and they are a good shooter. Some of them are incredible shooters. I have one that will do 10-15 mm groups at 50. It has had the front action screw bedded and barrel floated. They can easily have a second action screw added and often respond really well to that. It allows you to float the barrel better and bed the action. But saying all that, these things were designed to live in a ute, or behind the door in the shed, and be pulled out to shoot stuff around the farm. They were not built as benchrest guns and it is there over-engineering that makes them good. They have probably killed more marsupials than any rifle ever made. Many of them are threaded for mufflers and that can be good. Again from a golden era. I have several old articles from an old gun writer called John Hill who loves the things also. He knows more about them than anyone I know. Don't sweat the magazine thing as there are plenty available that will work. Not originals but identical. The yanks make reproductions for the old winchester rimfires and these all work perfectly.There are heaps out there , often scoped and usually very cheap. They may not shoot as tight a group on paper as a new CZ or Savage, but they have way more character, and of course they might just outshoot it. I have heard that you only have to point a Lithgow in the general direction of small furry things and they just die. Let me know if I can help you at all.

cheers
    Deano

this was talking about the early models before they changed to the light barrels
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's nice Jack!
    And to be able to shoot the shorts, longs, long rifle's and the wmr and have the accuracy ....that's just flat-out nice!
    Nice find and sounds like a keeper to me.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thats why i chase em , yeah its a clone , but made here and made well
  7. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

LSA is a manufacturer? When first seeing "LSA" I thought "Latin South America" Nifty .22 you got there. I like the oversized bolt handle and heavy barrel.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Lithgow small arms factory

the first models where for mick simmons and have the MS stamp

the next lot with a lighter barrel where the slazenger ( i've posted mine here before )

model 1 was a single shot , model 12 being the 5 round mag fed version of the win 69A and they made them up till the late 60's

but the MS stamped ones are from 1948 through 1951 and this with the low number i'd guess at being a 48 made one ,

because this is a estate gun ( the gent who sold it to me is the executor of the estate , meaning he's looking after someones effects after they have passed away) we gotta go 1 to the public trustee's , get a form , take that to the police , have them inspect it and record it , take their form back to the public trustee's office and have them stamp it them back to the police to put it on my list ..

( dont ya love gun control and all the BS that goes with it , to buy a $120 rifle !)

oh and the fee's , $35 for the public trustee , $27 ( maybe ) for the cops

when we get back i'll take some decent pic's
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Sorry for the drift, but the pic begs of it.

Ya look like an old old rocker with the hair, and ear plugs, strumming on a guitar. :lmao:

Ok. Maybe it's just me. :rolleyes:

Nice rifle! It's a rifle, right? :p
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

substitute banjo for guitar and you got it !!! wild weather here the past few days so showing my desperate need for a hair cut, maybe later today ..
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ok paper work is done and it's mine!!

took a detour via the pistol club but the target frames where all still locked up ( Des musta had a late start )

so used what i had as a target

3 rounds 25 meters ( 26 yards)

and what it looks like , sorry , i'm still lousy at pic's even with a new camera

used a tripod this time so not blurry at least

Attached Files:

12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

you'll see the rust and missing mag surround

Attached Files: