I FOUND IT!!!!IVER JOHNSON SW32 1887

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by TREF, Aug 19, 2005.

1. TREF

TREF New Member

YEP, MY GRANPA'S CARRY THAT MY DAD ALWAYS TOLD ME ABOUT! A 5 SHOT NICKEL 1887 IVER JOHNSON&CYCLE WORKS MADE IN GARDNER MASS I FOUND IT, WHEN WE DID THE HOUSE RESHINGLE JOB THIS PAST APRIL 05 AND JUST GOT IT CLEANED UP ,WHAT A SCORE,ITS PRICELESS TO ME BECAUSE MY GRANPS WENT EVERY AND I REALLY THOUGHT I GOT JUNKED WITH HIS 50 SOMETHING HUDSON CAR,THANKS GRANDPA AND DAD,TREF :D
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

a complete description of all markings and where they are found will help in identifing which model you have. check the bottom of the butt or under the left grip for a serial number, and i might be able to give you a manufactured date.

for your information iver johnson's arms & cycle works was not located in gardner, mass. they were located in worcester, mass. until 1892 when they moved to fitchburg, mass. where they remained until 1975. h&r also of worcester mass. moved to gardner mass. in the late 1960's.
    bill
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Welcome to the forum, TREF. PICTURES!!! :D

Pops
  5. sck

sck Member

Congradulations!!!!!!!!
    My grandfather too, had the same model Iver Johnson pistol. He also had two others. He told me that as a boy in the country, he and his friends liked to make some noise on the 4th of July and Memorial Day, but they generally bought firecrackers from the general store in town. Well, after a few years, it just didn't seem to make sense to him, spending all that money on firecrackers and have nothing to show for it the next day. So, he got out the Sears & Rowbuck catalog and order a pistol. It came within a few days and was terriffic. He then ordered the others. When Grandpa gave those to me they had been shot so much they didn't function any more. So, being like my grandfather, I said to myself "having a gun that doesn't shoot, doesn't seem right." The end result was that I traded them away. It was the worst thing that I think I ever did. I'm pleased to see that someone else was a lot brighter than me. Take good care of them. Steve
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Actually, back in those days boys didn't shoot their pistols very much, as they couldn't afford a steady supply of expensive ammo So they did the next best thing, they just dry fired the hell out of them. That's why so many of these old pistols have a decent bore but the rest of the gun is in poor condition.
  7. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Re:ANOTHER LITTLE I.J. .32 S&W REVOLVER

Just had to show off this little I.J. "Owl Head" .32 somebody did some neat work on many years ago. They bobbed it's nose to 1 1/2", crowned the muzzle, renickeled that, and reinstalled the front sight blade. Then they removed the hammer spur, but DIDN't renickel it. Nickel finish (not counting hammer spur) is about 98%. Serial number is 1000. Neat little antique carry piece. FFF
    [​IMG]
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a first model 'safety automatic hammer revolver' manufactured beween 1895 and 1896. exact year will depend on where the serial number is located and if it has a letter code with it.
    bill
  9. FloridaFialaFan

b.goforth - No letter with the serial number which is on the butt. See photo below. With all the hacking it may be ruined as a collectible but it sure is a slick little pocket piece - and, you gotta' admit, it IS cute... Here's photo of SN on butt. The big chip in the base of the left grip upsets me, but someday I'll find an old original pair for it at a gun show somewhere. FFF

[​IMG]

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music. ---George Carlin
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the manufacture date is 1895. i would be remiss if i did not remind you that all the iver johnson's arms & cycle works 'safety automatic revolvers' first and second models (first model 1894-1896, second model 1896-1908) were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and are not considered safe with modern ammo. only the third model is safe with smokeless powder (1909-1941).
    bill
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

FFF, I wish you had made your post a couple of weeks ago. I had a set of grips for your pistol and sold them cheap.
  12. FloridaFialaFan

Sorry I Missed Those Grips

Hi Shooter45. Yeah, I wish I could have gotten them from you. However, I should be able to find an old set at a gun show around here. Next BIG show I'm scheduling to attend is the Lakeland, FL show January 21 & 22. b.goforth, thanks for the heads-up on this gun being intended for BP cartridges only. If I ever put it on auction I'll make note of that. FFF

[​IMG]