I found this strange

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Feb 20, 2010.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

A lady in front of me at the grocery store (Winn Dixie) who was obviously well into her 40's got carded. She was buying a case of coors light and the baggie boy asked for her id and then scanned it. What the heck? Scanned it into the computer like a credit card. The lady and i were dumbfounded.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Wow, that is weird.

Here in MN, the only thing I have ever seen the magnetic strip used for is at the auction center, to get a bidding number. I didn't even know they worked until I attended an auction.
  3. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

I'm sure the super markets are getting sick of thousand dollar fines everytime the stupid snot nose kids at the register sells to an under age nark. So they are told to scan every license no matter what age. No license no sell.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The checking the ID I can understand. She may have been "obviously well into her 40's" to you, but different people see things differently. Back in the late 70s I was carding people at a bar. Woman thought I was making a funny when I wanted to see an ID. She was there with her husband. They had come to town to see their grandson graduate high school. All the while they are telling me this, and that it had been cute, at first, when I carded the grandmother, but it wasn't cute anymore, I was looking at her. I finally decided, based on the fact that the backs of her upper arms flopped around, that she was over 40, 'cause I've never seen that on anyone under forty. So I let them in. But her face, and the rest of her body? The drinking age was 18, back then, and she did not look old enough to come in.

But, anyhow. So I could see carding her. But if it was me, I wouldn't have let him swipe it. Don't nobody swipe my driver's license. All they need is to see that DOB.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Well, you know it was because she was buying........Coors light.
    If it had been a good beer, they would have let her through. :p :D:D

If they want to see my ID, that is what they can do.
    "SEE" it.
    The only person that gets to "hold" it, is a police officer.
  6. red14

red14 Active Member

That is a good point, there are a lot of crooks out there. There is no reason for the scan.
  7. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They probably "made her day"!
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

She just laughed at the guy then looked at me. I said I wondered if it had something to do with obama wanting to know who is drinking beer now. :confused:
  9. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I worked as a register at cost plus its actually really good cause its purpose is to allow teens work at super markets without worryin about us given it to our friends
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Sometimes they just card whoever. When I worked at the grocery store, I obviously never questioned anyone that looked into their 40's. If it was a younger person where they could possibly be under 21, I'd ask for their ID. As for the scanners, we never had that at the grocery store. Some places do. They scanned my ID when I bought cigars at Tobacco Outlet. I get carded once in awhile when I buy beer. I just give it to them and don't ask questions so everything goes smoothly and I can go home and enjoy myself. They card me when I buy ammo at F&F too. I don't know why. Obviously if I'm of legal age to own a handgun, I'm of legal age to buy handgun ammo. But hey, I'm just going to follow the law. It isn't like it's depriving me of my legal rights if they card me for ammo.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  11. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Here in Italy, since some years ago, every where you pay by c/card they can ask you to show your ID, but they don't scan it.
  12. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

I think I would balk at someone running my DL through a scanner.

Thanks for the heads up.
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I just renewed my DL on line. Beats the crap out of waiting in a room with a buch of immigrants.:D

I got to the end of the registration, paid, and printed my new DL.
    It's about 3x5 and has a description only (and my DL#).
    It's good for 45 days.

I wonder how that would have worked?:p

At my age, the only one that gets to see my DL is the police or the local gun shop.
  14. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Drivers licenses with mag strips? Mine's just coded for fingerprint I think, don't recall a magnetic strip.
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest