I goofed, need advice

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, Oct 21, 2011.

1. dbach

dbach Member

I loaded 67 .40 S&W shells using magnum primers (WSPM) rather than the regular small pistol primers (CCI 500) I intended to use. I guess a senior moment is the root cause. I simply grabbed the wrong box and went to work.

Would it be safe to use them as is? or should I tear them apart and start over. The thought of tearing down 67 reloads is a little overhwhelming, and I don't want to do it if its not necessary.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. Cowboy6373

Cowboy6373 New Member

It really depends on hot much powder or how close to max you are. If you are loading hot, I would be cautious. If you are on the lower end or towards the middle of a load recipe, you would be fine.
  3. dbach

dbach Member

Oops forgot to mention. I'm on the low end.

Berry 180 grain Plated FN
    5.0 grains Universal
    WSPM Primer loaded by mistake (CCI 500, SPP intended)

I like the low end of the reload, reduces recoil and makes the gun fun to shoot.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it. They will, most likely, shoot to a different spot. But if it's just plinking or informal paper punching, that shouldn't matter. I don't think there is any danger in them.
  5. TANGLEFOOT

TANGLEFOOT New Member

CONSIDER . BLOWN PRIMERS & HANG FIRES
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am no pro by any means, but could you explain to me why the use of magnum primers would cause hang fires or blown primers? And, what exactly is a blown primer? Thanks.
  7. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

u kidding, right? eveyone knows what these are...

blown primers are when you finish seating the primer and then you blow on it, and those hang fires are the best thats when you hang your logs up by a rope to get your fire started... get with it, man ;)
  8. Double D

I know exactly what a hangfire is. I have a pretty good idea what he is describing as a blown primer, but not sure by his description. I want to know WHY he thinks they would happen with the use of these primers.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Your loads will shoot fine dbach. All i use in anything is magnum primers and have been for years and i aint blown myself up yet.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That isnt even a consideration with his load. Blown primers takes either a tremendous amount of pressure or an unsupported headstamp.. Hangfires are a problem with undercharges of certain powders and usually lead to detonation which can destroy a gun and really only ever happens in large capacity centerfire rifle cartridges using single base propellants.. also insufficient primer heat with heavy charges of ball propellant, and/or extremely low ambient temperatures can cause hangfires. Again, neither of which are going to happen here in this case because 5.0 gr of universal is on the starting side of data for a 180 gr bullet in .40S&W. and its a flake powder which is easy to ignite, and its double base, plus dbach is a fellow texan and it isnt cold here yet, nor does it really ever get cold enough here to really affect ball propellant charges. which again, the powder hes using isnt a ball propellant anyway.

So your comment is just confusing and needlessly alarming to new reloaders
  11. Double D

JLA, Iwas hoping to get an explanation as to why we should expect these things.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Theres no reason to expect such things with dbachs load, unless hes shooting them in a rickety old broken pistol. And the explanation above is all the things i know of that can cause those problems
  13. Double D

I know that and you know that but I was really hoping our poster would enlighten us as to why these primers would cause either of these problems.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I know. But I dont want the new relaoders to be un-necessarily alarmed by false info.
  15. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I'm with JLA Dbach, you'll be OK, I've loaded magnum primers in most pistol calibers I shoot and they are fine if you are at or near minimum charge.
  16. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

It's written in at least a couple of manuals that switching from a standard primer to a mag primer in any given brand can be done by reducing the powder load by 5%. I would think you'd be safe to multiply your current powder load by 1.05 to see what your load would be (approximately) with the mag primers. I get the equivalent of 5.25 grains. I may be off base on this but it sounds right to me. Doesn't sound like a loudenboomer load:)
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats reasonable logic popgunner. And is pretty accurate thinkin. Magnum primers are roughly 6% hotter than std primers, so i have always reduced the max load by 6% and worked between the new max and starting.
  18. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Several years ago, when primers (along with everything else) was hard to find I interchanged Magnum and Regular Large Pistol Primers for my .45 ACP loads. I do tend to load on the lighter side.
  19. BillM

BillM Active Member

The only possible negative I've heard of from using SPM in place of SP
    primers is the possibility of powder gas leakage around the harder
    SPM primer with light loads, causing breechface erosion.I've never
    actually seen it happen.

That said, I've used both in 9mm and 40 S&W loads for years.

You will see a 10-15 FPS increase in velocity with the magnum
    primer. What was unexpected is that on light loads, you will
    probably see a reduction in extreme velocity spread for a string of
    shots. My extreme spread on USPSA minor power factor 40 S&W
    loads went from 35-40 down to 10-15 when I switched to SPM
    primers. My theory is better ignition on the small powder charge.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  20. Double D

Still waiting....