i got a KEL TEC PF9

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by johnlives4christ, Jun 11, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i swapped my used remington 870 to a friend for his kel tec pf9. we're both happy. its a long story, but worth it.

it all started, andy (my friend) got the pf9... well he cant shoot it without limp wristing so it jams... well. the other day we was shooting and he had some old ammo and it was jamming up on us.. and having miss fires. mostly him, but some me. so we switched to remington ammo. well he still had problems, but i didnt. so he shot a few and i caught a few empties as they flew, just to see, and they were really light... okay so we both figure somethings wrong, we call kel tec and they say sure send it in. aight well he gets all fed up with it and we end up swapping my 870 for it, since i just got another shotgun its no big deal. well i was playing with it and noticed that if you dont let the trigger reset all the way, you can pull it halfway and instead of it making the double action hammer move through its arc, then fall. all it does is fall from that position. well it dawned on me, what he was doing, why he was having miss fires and i wasn't, was because he wasn't letting the trigger reset all the way before pulling again. he is fairly inexperianced, and pig headed a tad too..."aint no way im limp wristing!"

anyways i just went out and tested my theory. i shot one round as a base... good strike, then i shot one without letting the trigger reset all the way. it fired, light strike, next time i did the same thing.... misfire! then a full pull set it off. yep... i cant believe it, man he is going to be ticked when i tell him LOL

~john
  2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I have done that same thing with my p40. It only seemed to happen during rapid fire. I am so used to a single action trigger pull it took some getting used to. Now it fires every time and is remarkably accurate for an inexpensive gun. People under rate them I would and do trust my life to it a lot of times.
  3. johnlives4christ

seems like it's a well made little bugger.
  4. obxned

obxned New Member

Whatever the problem, provided it isn't the shooter, KelTec will make it right. You made a very, very good trade!
  5. johnlives4christ

well i went out to shoot it this morning before work and i had 2 malfuntions, one for each of the 2 magazines i shot. both were failures to feed. i dont think im limp wristing, one shot that malfunctioned i was fully supported off the top of my car, using both hands. i am not sure if maybe because it's a little gun and im used to shooting 45's and glocks and revolvers that im just not doing it right, or if something is wrong with it. i polished the feed ramp and deburred it best i could inside after i acquired it. anybody got any advice or suggestions?

since im a really big guy and normally not afraid of recoil, ive never had a problem with limp wristing, but i havent ever really tried not to do it, other than with this gun when me and my pal started having problems.

i done called kel tec, the guy there said to send it back, but i'd rather not pay for shipping if i can fix the problem myself
  6. johnlives4christ

UPDATE

well i was having failures to feed. with ball ammo. so i did some work on the old girl.

lets see if i can remember all of what i did

polish the feed ramp
    throated the chamber at the bottom just a tad
    took the sharp edges off the edge of the chamber all the way around
    polished barrel hood
    sanded the breech face with 600 grit paper lightly
    rounded sharp edges off of the locking lug/mating slide surface
    worked the slide to make the slide stop into a slide release
    rounded sharp edges off of the bottom of the extractor
    throated the bottom of the extractor just a tad.
    bevel the magazine well

i didnt do all the work at the same time, i tried first one thing then another, then i just desided i would do everything i knew to do to fix a feeding issue, and it worked, 12 mags so far with 0 malfunctions. i was getting 1 ftf every other magazine.

before some people go off half cocked and say they would never do anything like this because it is dangerous or because the gun might blow up or anything like that. i must state that i have checked my work with a licensed gunsmith and it was approved as good. so i am hoping this fixes my problems, as i love the feel of this gun and it carries well from what i can tell.

~john
  7. Pastor C

Pastor C New Member

Wow! do Kel-tecs misfire that much when new?

sounds weird and it sounds like your not the only one with that problem
  8. johnlives4christ

it wasnt mis firing, it was failing to feed. jamming. im not sure... some people swear by them, i guess i just had one with problems.

~john
  9. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

10. johnlives4christ

thanks for the links tex45acp. i have swapped the gun to a buddy last week. but im sure we'll continue to work on it. i've checked out the KTOG.org link already but i'll check the others.

thanks

~john
  11. Will_G

Will_G New Member

I picked up a Kel Tec P32 Thursday...

So far, so good. It is light as all get out (something like 10 oz. fully loaded) and after firing it a few times I could not see anything wrong with it. It actually feeds Magtech .32 ACP full metal case ammo quite well - no jams or failure to extract so far. I'll post further if it does develop problems but so far it is way-y-y-y better than a Beretta 21a I had that jammed and hung fire the first day I shot it. (Of course I have to say the Kel Tec was purchased new while the Beretta was bought used from a private individual and I have no real idea as to how well it had been treated over its life.)

I'm not a big guy and I finally wound up deciding that a .32 ACP in the pocket for CCW was better than a .38 revolver (or larger) at home. ;)