I guess this is a "technical" question regarding scopes.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Crpdeth, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I understand (or think I do) that while reading 16-32x50 for example on a spotting scope that the 16 refers to the magnification at the scopes lowest possible magnification level, 32 is the highest and 50 would be field of view, right?

If that is right (or even if it is not) why are some spotting scopes advertized with only 2 sets of numbers? such as this Bushnell 10x50 I'm looking at.

Is this a non-zoom "set magnification" kind of thing, where 10 is the highest magnification, or do they omit the field of view for some reason, making 50 the magnification? Would all the same answers apply to my Stiner 10x30 hunting binos?

Also, for those who use these at the range, what is the lowest magnification I can get away with at 100 yards for target practice, and still see my bullet holes?

Thanks in advance guys!

~Crpdeth
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Donny, see I remembered how to spell your name :D , The 10-32x50 means 10 is the low power magnification and 32 is the high. The 50 is in mm and indicates the diameter of the objective lens (front bell size). This is so you can tell how high off the receiver the rings have to be in order to accomodate the front bell diameter.

In binoculars, the 10x50mm means the same thing. The 10 is the magnification and the 50mm means the objective diameter. This is for light gathering information. The larger the objective, the more light gathering ability of the binoculars. In more common terms, it means you can see more in more subdued light, like dawn or dusk.

Hope this helps.

Rick
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

LOL, thanks Plano...Nothing like your own name is there? :)

Yes, that helps alot...Do you think a 30x50 spotting scope would be adequate for spotting bullet holes in targets posted at 100 yards?

Thanks again.

~Crpdeth
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Should be plenty ifn y'all gots good eyes. Mine are not as good as they used to be. I like a 60x. Can see what's behind the bullet hole! :D :D :D :D
  5. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Sheesh, hoo U kiddin, border jumper? Phishie say U couldnt C a tree rat if it was sittin on yur lap!! :cool:
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I showd Phishie how ta git em widout firin a shot! Looky ere! :D :D :D :D

Attached Files:

7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Thanks again Plano...You've been a great help.

~Crpdeth
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

A 50 mm spotter would be the absolute minimum, IMHO, for range use; something in the 60-82 mm class will give a lot more light.
    I have an old Argus 50 mm, and a Bushnell Sentry, both adequate, in good light. When I'm shooting the 45-70, on silohuettes, my spotter uses an 82 mm Kowa, to see the bullet strike- as power goes up, brightness goes down, unless the scope gets bigger, on the objective end.
    Just some food for thought, before you spend the bucks!