I had my first negligent discharge today.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ilovenxstage, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I was reloading my Charter .38 after touching up the bluing on it and I violated one of the basic laws of firearm safety :( I snapped the cylinder closed, and I had my finger inside the trigger guard. I STUPIDLY wasn't paying attention, and BOOM! I now have a .38 bullet hole in my bedroom ceiling. I feel like the stupidest idiot in the world now. I always told myself "it'll never happen to me!" Guess I was wrong. But at least no one was hurt because I make sure the gun never points toward where someone else would be when I'm handling it. I guess all that was hurt was my pride, my ceiling, and my hearing (a snub nose .38 going off in a tiny bedroom is LOUD!). I thank GOD that's all that was hurt!
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I've only had one, was screwing around with my GP100 walking down the hallway in my rental house; I was reloading rounds for it at the time and wanted to test out a primed case for some reason in it. I went and retrieved it from the living room from it's hiding spot and as I strolled down the hall towards the reloader, I thumbed the hammer to rotate the cylinder like a freakin' cowboy idiot. My hands being sweaty, the hammer slipped out from under my thumb and BOOM! sent a round throught the floor!

nobody was home so like you said, only my pride was damaged. never found the bullet hole either, thick carpet concealed it.

Never had one since and I'm not ever planning on it again, I consider it a huge error of the greatest magnitude. I go to great lengths to ensure I don't have an ND ever again. Where I work, an ND/AD means finding a new job!
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

That's why there is redundancy in the Four Rules.

Glad no one was hurt, and glad you learned from it.
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I did it in my garage after leaving the range late one night not knowing my wife left a loaded magazine in the ruger mkIII I went to tear it down to clean it and bang then bang again. Not once but twice. It was my own fault for not checking the gun I just assumed and we all know what assuming does. Nice dent in my riding mower and my pride as well. Just glad nobody was hurt in my assuming.
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Oh dont feel bad I had a brain fart in missouri.we were trap shooting and the instructor told us to drop a shell in and keep the action open while we were waiting our turn to shoot.I lost count of how many shots we had shot.I was the 1st shooter so when the guy to my left shot the fifth time we were told to rotate and I knew it was a foul to rotate loaded so I racked the pump to eject the shell I had my finger on the trigger.Kaboom scared the begeepers out of me.The good thing was I had it pointed down range and down so I just blew a hole in the ground and my pride.I was mad at myself for a long time.You definitely learn from it.
  6. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Active Member

Glad no one was hurt and hopefully a learning experience.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Scared me to Ryan. :):):)
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was at a range and was putting my 10-22 away. It was in the case and I noticed I left the mag in. I went to pull the mad and some how I hit the trigger. It went click. It was empty but I couldn't help but think if there was still a round in there I could have killed some one.

From that day on I always verify the gun is empty and the safety is on before I move from the shooting area. I have been around guns all my life and that is the closest I have come to a negligent discharge. You can never be to careful.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

my first got me 48 hours on the track in full pack and rifle ..
  10. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Bet that was your last too!
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

glad no one was hurt it will be something u will never forget.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

How in the world did the cartridges stay in the cylinder with the muzzle up long enough for you to snap it shut? and how did you touch off a DA trigger without knowing?
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

How can you load a double action revolver that has the muzzle pointed upward without the cartridges falling out? Also, did you uncontrollably cock the hammer and pull the trigger or was it a double action mistake? IMO it would be kind of difficult to identically pull the trigger on a double action. I don't know if I missed something on this.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I had the same initial thought Jim. All DA revolvers are designed so they wont cock manually with the cylinder open. nor will the cylinder latch disengage if the hammer is cocked. And gravity will yank a loaded round right out of the cylinder of any revolver if the cylinder is turned up. closing one without dropping a round or 3 is next to impossible. So the cylinder had to have been closed with the muzzle down and the hammer then thumbed with the muzzle up and the trigger pulled.
  15. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree JLA. As a matter of fact you can't even load a SA revolver upside down. It just won't work. Also, you are right about the DA not being able to cock with the cylinder open. I am sure the op is being truthful, I am just thinking the percussion of the round going off scrambled his memory. I think he loaded it muzzle down, closed the cylinder, and then out of habit pulled the trigger DA and got a surprise.

My brother has had multiple misfires and I stay away from him. One misfire that he had was because he always dry fired every DA revolver he held and it became such a habit that that is what he did one day when he knew the gun was loaded while he was holding it.

I am glad the op is OK but remember this. If you are going to dry fire a firearm of any kind, be aware of the muzzle direction before you place the index finger on the trigger. Also, when practicing dry firing, always be aware of when you are doing it. Don't just start pulling away on the trigger. There are stories of grown men who have been sitting in their recliner at home and night after night they practice dry firing their hand gun. Then one night they are on the phone talking to a friend and not paying attention and decide to grab their revolver and practice dry firing without engaging their brain and end up blowing their family jewels off, or may be a middle toe.

Engage brain, then pick up gun, check the gun, and watch your muzzle and your trigger finger. Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad you and everyone is OK op.
  16. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

I rode motorcycles for 40+ years. There was an old saying, "There are two kinds of riders, those that have been down, and those that haven't been down yet." Well, after 40+ years of relatively safe riding, a 16 year old girl figured out a way to circumvent my efforts to remain safe and upright. As much as we talk about and practice safety around firearms, I suspect we will all experience an accidental discharge at some point in our lives.

As with any undesirable event, learn from it, be glad you are here to tell the tale, and forgive yourself.
    Tom
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  17. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

its called clinching

took me 4 months to get my daughter to not do it

a few reasons it happens to folks

sometimes its a reaction to movement and folks grab hard

something like pre empting recoil , folks will death grip the gun and miss what they aim at last second

you just gotta be aware and train yourself out of bad habits

trigger finger ( all fingers) outside the guard when working or cleaning weapons being the top one

working on crap guns over the years i've had a few since my army expeience but they've all been pointed where they should in case ..

you get that on old guns
  18. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

The gun was level when I snapped the cylinder shut, then I raised the muzzle, then I guess I just squeezed. Like Highboy said, the noise and concussion scrambled my circuits and I don't remember actually doing it. All I really remember is raising the muzzle toward the ceiling, then I saw a flash, heard what sounded like a muffled pop and instantly I couldn't hear anything but ringing. It took me several seconds to realize the gun had gone off. I obviously squeezed the trigger, I just don't know why. The biggest cause of the accident was that I simply wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  19. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

I once made a statement that there are two kinds of people. Those who have had an AD and those who will. I got badly flamed. Quite a few said it would never happen to them. In well over 60 years of shooting I have had three. Two were broken sear springs and one was 15 year old stupidity but the pistol was pointed in a safe direction. Glad no one was hurt in your AD
  20. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

they happen to the best of us , but the best of us are mindfull were we point them so if...

then nothing is upset besides who does the washing