I had my first negligent discharge today.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ilovenxstage, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

I rode motorcycles for 40+ years. There was an old saying, "There are two kinds of riders, those that have been down, and those that haven't been down yet." Well, after 40+ years of relatively safe riding, a 16 year old girl figured out a way to circumvent my efforts to remain safe and upright. As much as we talk about and practice safety around firearms, I suspect we will all experience an accidental discharge at some point in our lives.

As with any undesirable event, learn from it, be glad you are here to tell the tale, and forgive yourself.
    Tom
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

its called clinching

took me 4 months to get my daughter to not do it

a few reasons it happens to folks

sometimes its a reaction to movement and folks grab hard

something like pre empting recoil , folks will death grip the gun and miss what they aim at last second

you just gotta be aware and train yourself out of bad habits

trigger finger ( all fingers) outside the guard when working or cleaning weapons being the top one

working on crap guns over the years i've had a few since my army expeience but they've all been pointed where they should in case ..

you get that on old guns
  3. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

The gun was level when I snapped the cylinder shut, then I raised the muzzle, then I guess I just squeezed. Like Highboy said, the noise and concussion scrambled my circuits and I don't remember actually doing it. All I really remember is raising the muzzle toward the ceiling, then I saw a flash, heard what sounded like a muffled pop and instantly I couldn't hear anything but ringing. It took me several seconds to realize the gun had gone off. I obviously squeezed the trigger, I just don't know why. The biggest cause of the accident was that I simply wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I once made a statement that there are two kinds of people. Those who have had an AD and those who will. I got badly flamed. Quite a few said it would never happen to them. In well over 60 years of shooting I have had three. Two were broken sear springs and one was 15 year old stupidity but the pistol was pointed in a safe direction. Glad no one was hurt in your AD
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

they happen to the best of us , but the best of us are mindfull were we point them so if...

then nothing is upset besides who does the washing
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I never have and I hope I never will, but, I am always aware that I could. I am as clumsy as the next guy.
  7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

thinking you better check the roof for a hole
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I was sitting on a large rock, overlooking a tree-grown gully when Dad called that we were moving on. I started unloading my 03A3 prior to climbing down that rock and one round went off. Trigger finger in the wrong place while working the action.

Had one in the middle of the night when somebody came in through the locked front door. Grabbed the pistol, slammed in the magazine and tripped the slide lock. I don't know how scared the intruder was by the report, because I never saw him. He made almost as much noise going out the broken door as coming in. Sheriff said he used to live in that house until his wife locked him out.

Pops
  9. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I've been in a few small rooms when small arms went off. REALLY gets your attention. I had just bought a .22 rifle, can't remember the brand, but it was an auto loader. Wanted to see how many the tube would hold, so with my sons all around me, we dropped in 16 long rifle rounds. I aimed it at the living room floor and chambered "one". The round, along with the other 15 emptied full auto. My oldest son looked at me and asked if there was a quieter way to count them. I explained that wasn't suposed to happen. Luckly no wires or pipes hit in the basement, not to mention, no children shot full of holes. Gave me many a nightmare.
    Years before that, in college, we had a house trailer off campus (in Kansas) and everyone had guns sitting around. Bunch of guys sitting on the couch watching a western and one of them grabs a marlin 30-30 lever action from the corner and aims at the tv to shoot the bad guy. We all chipped in to buy a new tv. (that one was really loud).
    Anyway, keep your finger off the trigger.:D
  10. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

12, and playing with the .22 bolt action rifle that I was NOT supposed to touch... best way to get a kid to mess with something is tell them NOT to. The parents and siblings were gone and I had found a loose .22 round, so was sitting in the stairwell going upstairs where Dad kept the rifle, chambering and ejecting the cartridge, at some point pulled the trigger. I found a nice neat little hole in the upstairs ceiling, right at the corner of the ceiling and wall. Patched it with bubble gum and a little dab of paint...
  11. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Very scary, I am glad nobody was hurt.

I have never had an AD yet, and I try to be safe as I can when dealing with loaded firearms. However, we are all human and can make a mistake.

Quick story...about 20 years ago I was at a friends house and we were playing cards. He had a little Makarov sitting on the table and his wife was nagging him to put it away. He finally got mad at her and said that it wasn't even loaded and to prove it he picked up the pistol and pointed it at the wall and squeezed the trigger and BANG! A nice little hole in his kitchen wall. There was a really long moment of silence after that, then his wife laid into him big time. He was in the dog house for quite a while.
  12. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

I have never had an accident with a revolver. Have had it on a semi-auto AK and a 22 pistol when I didn't realise I had a round chambered.
  13. wolfdog

wolfdog Member

I have had a couple through equptment failure, and one through stupidity. I have also had many "planned" ads. When teaching new shooters I will set up and have an ad at the range to show that they can and do happen to anyone and demonstrate that if proper firearms handling is followed they only harm is to your pride.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've seen a couple, and have one AD, and one ND. The AD was on an old single barrel shot gun, a Long Tom. Out coon hunting, and headed home. Came to a fence with the guys I was hunting with, and started to unload the gun. Muzzle up, and when I opend the breach, BANG! The firing pin was stuck against the shell! Scared the stuff out of everyone, but no one was hurt. The ND occured while at a friends house. He wanted to show me his shotgun. It was in the back of the closet, in a zippered gun case. How was I supposed to know that it was loaded? But I had taken it out side under the carport, a bird flew by! I shouldered the gun, and bang! Scared the stuff out of us all! I saw a lesson learned with ND's. A friend, who was a shade tree gun smith, had another friend come over with a Raven .25 that needed work. The guy with the gun brought it, and a mag full of ammo. He handed the gun, and mag, to Smitty seperately. Smitty loaded the mag, pulled back the slide, and released it. Full auto right into the living room wall! If God allows me to live long enough I'll see this stuff again, and it could happen to me again! I know this, so I try to pay attention to where my gun is pointed at all times, and pray that God will keep me safe!
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think that is the main point. It can happen to all of us. The main thing is always keep any gun pointed is a safe area and at least you won't kill some one.