I had my first negligent discharge today.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ilovenxstage, Oct 3, 2012.

1. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

The one word that i saw in most to these stories was "never". Never say never. As you see it will come back to bite you. Happy to read no one was hurt during all this.
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I'm chuckling, because I ALREADY know if I say what I am going to say somebody here is going to get on their "High Horse" and take offense...(it has happened so MANY times before....:D;))

But there are ONLY two types of "Shooters" in this world....

Those Shooters who have HAD an "Accidental Discharge,"...

... and those that WILL have an "Accidental Discharge" someday.:p:p:p

The ONLY "Gun Guys" who will NEVER have one are those guys who are not SHOOTERS.....yeah, if they never have any actual AMMUNITION laying around for their "collection" and all they ever really do with them is bring them out of the case and fondle them and wipe them down and put them back in the case...;)

But BEWARE, if they DO have any ammuniton laying around....:eek:

But if you are a real SHOOTER, or work on guns, fiddle with triggers, bed guns, accurize rifles, gunsmith anything, in other words are a REAL "Gun Guy...."

You WILL have an AD someday....

That is why there are TWO rules to safe gun handling....not ONE.

#1 ALWAYS treat the gun as if it is LOADED...

#2 NEVER point it at anything you don't want to SHOOT....

You CANNOT hurt somebody or yourself if you always do BOTH.

ALL of us can "Help" ANYBODY if they violate #2, don't EVER feel out of line telling ANYBODY at the range, your best buddies, whoever..."Watch that MUZZLE..."

And it is up to US, if anybody says that to US, NOT to get indignant, or get pissed, or tell them how long you have been shooting....NOBODY really CARES if you did something unsafe!

If they say that to YOU, bite your TONGUE, THINK, and then your only response should be...."Sorry, and THANKS!"

The funny thing is the WORST violations I have seen as a range officer, or a shooter with others, is with the MOST experienced shooters, not the LEAST...

Watch some LEO, or "A" class IPSC shooter, or top trapshooter at your club show his buddy his new $2000 "Racegun" and SEE where that muzzle points...

I don't care if it is your FIRST time at that range, or your FIRST time shooting ANYTHING...if you SEE that muzzle sweep anybody or anything, and especially YOU...

SAY SOMETHING.

You are representing ALL of us here....
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

And to tell you WHICH group I belong to, I will tell you about the AD I am MOST proud of...:p;):D:D

I hunt deer with an 1897 Winchester Riot Gun....back then they made firearms with the idea if you killed yourself with it it was your OWN damm fault...

No safety, just the typical Winchester "half cock" if you are stupid enough to have one in the chamber....not really much different than the Colt SAA, EVERYBODY knew you kept the chamber under the hammer EMPTY until you REALLY needed it loaded....

It's like 10 degrees, 0-dark 30, Saturday morning during deer season, feels like -10 with the windchill, my 10 year old is on the other side of the truck parked in the cut cornfield, getting all his gear together and his 20 guage single shot ready, ....

And of course Dad is ready first, getting a little antsy, almost dawn, running a little late, right about "legal shoot" time...time to get to the stands...

And since it's so cold I load one in the chamber with my GLOVES on...pulling the trigger while "lowering the hammer," you guessed it, the hammer slips and BOOM! right into the ground...

My son from the other side of the truck says excitedly "What happened, Dad!!!???"

SOOOooo smooth....:p:D (You GOTTA think QUICK when you're the DAD...)

"See Michael? That's why you ALWAYS point the gun in a safe direction...these old guns are DANGEROUS if you don't respect them...my thumb slipped in this cold and all I shot was the cornfield!"

You gotta be SMOOTH to be a DAD....;)

I'M the idiot but I was able to turn it into a "teachable moment" LOL

He is a qualified 120mm Abrams gunner now, I WONDER if he ever had to use that line yet? LOL
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Polishshooter, I am not offended by what you said. I know it can happen to anybody, anytime, anywhere. I think that is why I never have because I am aware of it. My day may come but hopefully my muzzle will be in the right direction. I think that I am extra aware of it because my brother had so many discharges when we were young that I saw what not to do.
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's funny.
  6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I had one of my uncle's 12 gauge shotguns go off when I thought it was unloaded. It was a pump shotgun, I didnt know it was loaded when I set off the action and I shot a hole in the closet wall, with a slug. Also one time I was dove hunting with my brother in law and he loaded up the 12 gauge pump shotgun and I thought the pump action wasnt set, I took it off safety but I had the shotgun pointed toward the ground and I shot into the ground. As long as you make sure to treat every gun as if it was loaded things wont go wrong but of course you all know that. Good Luck in the future folks and be safe.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Many years ago I was with a group getting certified as divers. Sitting around one evenging with nothing to do we all got to talking, and that came around to guns. One of the guys had his in the car, and wanted to show us his new toy. We all walked out to his car, and he produced a 9mm from a gun rug. He handed it to me, and I said "nice gun", but didn't reach for it. He wanted to know why, so I told him that with everyone standing around I didn't feel comfortable handling a gun that was probably loaded. He thought about that a minute, then pointing the gun in a safe direction, removed the loaded mag, and the round in the chamber. When he handed me the gun again the first thing I did was double check to make sure there was no bullet in the chamber, by pointing the gun straight up, and pulling back the slide, then showing the guy stand by me that the gun was cleared. Ad's, and ND's can happen to anyone, so as I say in my sig, Y'all be safe now, ya hear!
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ive had more than I care to remember. The only one that mattered was the first tho. Nearly shot my foot off with a .22 mag single action mind you trying to be a cowboy. But in doing so I got pretty good at shooting from the hip and fanning the hammer.

Everything has a price.

Most of the ADs ive had were during diagnostic anaysis of malfuctioning firearms. Why in the world would you use real ammo to help diagnose a malfuction you ask?? Because its exactly what the weapon will malfuction with in the field.. Why else?

See rules #1 and #2 of basic firearms handling safety procedure described above my our good friend polishshooter.
  9. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

It can happen to the best of us. I may have told this story before, but I'll repeat it. A friend on the local PD was participating in a joint local/county/fed drug raid. After the tense part of the raid was over, his Sargent send him out to his squad to radio something in. When he set the butt of his shotgun down on the floorboards to use the radio, it when off, blowing a hole through the roof of the car. To top it off, he had to go back inside and explain to his sargent, in front of Feds and County boys, what had happened. He was know around the squad room after that as The Skylite Kid.
  10. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Is fanning the hammer mean where you pull the hammer back and forth real fast making the single action shoot like a semi auto?
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

yep.. hold trigger, and then take yer hand and hit the hammer with the fleshy side under the pinky repeatedly..
  12. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son wanted to shot my SA Ruger 44. He pulled the hammer back but had his finger on the trigger. It went off. Took out the target stand. He had to pay for that. My 44 has a very light trigger. He is used to his 357 SA. He learned the lesson never have your finger on the trigger when you pull the hammer back on a SA.