I hate to ask the which is better question...but

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Clutch, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch New Member

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I am looking for reasons you chose your...

XDm .40 over the M&P .40... Or did you choose the M27?

I know personal preference has a lot to do with it. I like the feel of

M&P best... I think. Why did you choose one over the other?

Thanks in advance guys and I look forward to reading your response.
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I would prefer the Springfield based on feel in my hands and reputation. I think the most important is how they feel in your hands. Do they naturally point and is the fit comfortable to you?
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

hello clutch say hello to spinner and paddlefoot. the springfield has a proven track record, the smith and wesson m&p doesn't. smith and wesson quality has degraded through the years in my opinion. i do love the older smiths both auto's and wheel guns but to be honest i wouldn't own a any smith made past 1990. again just my personal opinion
  4. Clutch

Clutch New Member

oscarmayer... You're showing "our" age...

Thanks for the replies. I agree about the S&W going down hill. I own a Taurus 24/7 pistol in 9mm and a Taurus M66 .357 revolver. Both have performed flawlessly with a 2000+/- rounds through each. The .357 is a real tack driver and the 9mm hasn't had 1 jam that was due to malfunction of the slide (which is what people say they have had problems with) but is a little less accurate. The .40 is for my son as he wants a daily carry in a compact. It will be a gift for his birthday. I like the feel of the S&W, but lean towards the XDm because of the reviews. So, really it comes down to the Springer or the Glock... Any input is appreciated and thanks in advance.

I speak of the Taurus only because I think Taurus has had some quality issues over the past years. I own two of them that have been stellar in their performance. Like S&W, they have a life time warranty. I have not used customer service and it has had mixed reviews on the forums I frequent. I'm just sayin'...
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

while i feel s&w 's quality has dropped i feel taurus's quality has been on the up- swing since the mid 90's . i own a glock in 357 sig and love it . received it as a joke gift from my daughter now i wish i'd had gotten one sooner . though i do not own a springfield xd i have known people with them and they swear by them
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Here is a unbiased review b/c I don't own either but have shot both on numerous occasions. Go with the springfield. S&W have had to many issues over the years. I say I have shot both on numerous occasions b/c they were in my shop at one point and time but only the M&P's were in for repair. The XD's were just there for sight pushes.
    Now springfield and glock is a tough one. For conceal carry, I believe some of the glock models are easier to work with. I always found the XD's to be a little bulky. Just my .02
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    kind of like the man says (if it looks good eat it)if it feels good,buy it.no matter what is said if you have come down to a choice from one to another always buy what feels most natural to you.you will be able to shoot it better and like your decision more as time goes by old semperfi
  8. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

As a torture test for the department I work for, I took a factory M&P and used gun scrubber and a brush to remove all the lubricant from it. Then, over a few days, we fired 1500 rounds through the pistol without cleaning it. We had one failure in 1500 rounds, and that was a cartridge that had a good firing pin strike but just did not ignite. Could they have sent us a ringer?? Sure. I can only say that the pistol we evaluated performed well, and my friends who have M&P's have not had problems with theirs.

Now, I can say that I know people who are having rust issues with their M&P's... especially the sights. So S&W are definitely dropping the ball in some areas. But the M&P is still a gun I like the feel of, so if I were looking to buy a polymer gun for myself I would seriously look in that direction.

I have not had the chance to shoot the XD or the XDm, but I have handled both. I prefer the feel of the XDm as I feel like the XD is too blocky. But I can't say anything about if they are a good gun or not since I have not had the opportunity to shoot them. However, I have owned Springfield pistols before (1911's) and have had good experiences with them.

The Glock has a history of performing well and being very durable. The ones I have shot have all shot well (except for one in 10mm that you couldn't even keep on paper). There have been some cases of barrel/cartridge case failure, mostly with 40 caliber pistols it seems, though one of our state agencies recently had a brand new 45 caliber pistol fail shooting factory ammunition. Others have tens of thousands of rounds through the guns with no issues at all. Personally, I don't like the feel of the Glock since the molded in finger grooves hit my fingers in all the wrong places.

You haven't mentioned any other choices, but have you looked at Kahr Arms? I like their pistols a lot, but they are a little more pricey compared with the other polymer offerings.

Just my experiences and opinions.
  9. samurai

samurai New Member

For me this is kind of like " The Three Bears". The Glock was too "blocky", the Springfield was too"top heavy", but the S&W was just right. Had Glocks for years, but after I got a M&P 45fs, I have totally moved over the M&P Line. The Springfield XDs Just didn't "feel" right and the parts were a little hard to come by.
  10. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

Clutch,

I have shot all three and own both the XDM 40 (and XDM 9mm purchased yesterday) and Glock 23. I prefer the XDM but they are all good handguns. I can't offer a suggestion of what to get since it depends on which feels the best to you. Do you plan on using it as a range/HD gun or for CCW? Unless you get the 3.8 in the XDM you might have an issue with concealing it (XDM are a bit bulky). Let us know what you end up getting.

Safe Shooting,
    Steven@LG
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Between the three, the XD would get my vote. Add a Sig 226/229 to the mix and then it changes my answer. ;) Anyway that you choose to go, you've got a darn lucky son! :cool: