I have a digital scale question?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryan42, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    marion indiana
    when you have two scales digital and what I call manual ones and you double check your powder charge do you use both scales every time.I weigh every tenth charge.Just wondering.

2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't Ryan. I use one or the other. I like the manual scale just because I am old fashioned and it is acurate. But the digital is good too. It's handy for measuring coffee.

3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Carson City Nevada
    I have both a digital and balance beam scales as well but I do not cross check one to the other. RCBS makes and I have a set of weights to check the scale. So lets say I am loading 8.5 grains of something, I put 8.5 grains of weights in a pan where I can get to them and every 20 or so rounds I check out my powder drop. I only do this when I am loading very few grains like in a pistol or small rifle on my single stag loader. When ever I load large rifle I check it far less because most of my rifle loads are at or near compressed loads and I can see if they look good.

Doing production loading of lets say 45 auto on my Dillion, here agian I can see 7 grains of Unique accurate enough for my purposes so I don't check powder weight that often either because in doing so it would defeat the purpose of a high production machine.

Ron

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    marion indiana
    ok thanks,I load 45 acp,tightgroup 4.5 gr 230grain fmj for plinking

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

if you are loading on a progressive get your self the RCBS powder cop die.

6. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I use both. A balance scale and a digital. And compare every other load.

7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Harriman, Tn
    I have three, 2 digital and a RCBS 5-0-5 beam. The beam just got back from the factory for repairs. When I load pistol, I use my PACT BBK and check about every tenth round, with rifle, I use my RCBS combo and weigh every round. I use check weights regularly on the digitals and never had a problem. Some folks just don't trust digital scales. I don't trust my eyesight that I have the pointer lined up with the line on my beam.

8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    +1. My digital scale has proven to be very accurate.