I HAVE A NEW STOEGER COUCH 12G SHOTGUN

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Rockyja, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    I've never had a shotgun before, and would like some feedback from anyone, on what what type shell, cost wise, would be good for target shooting.

Any tips, and information would be appreciate. Thank you

Rocky

Attached Files:

2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

The inexpensive ammo in 7 1/2, 8 or 9 size shot is what you want for target shooting. The same sizes for small game and small birds, sizes 4 or 6 for ducks or pheasant although the firearm is not really suited for hunting.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  3. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Hstout,

That's very helpful. Thank you very much.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have that exact model but in nickel. and it is a decent dove hunting shotgun.

I keep it loaded with 'catbusters' for stray animals around the property.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The one on top is my Nickel Stoeger Coach 12 ga. and the one below is my youngest boys .410 coach. Its a Baikal SxS that I cut down for him.

Attached Files:

6. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

cheap 12 ga ammo goes the furthest $$$$ wise in them. if your hunting you may consider what you are hunting for. I've shot a little bit of everything out of mine. I bought it for Cowboy action shooting but have used it for hunting.
  7. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Nice guns JLA

Being new at this, what are cat busters?
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Great looking double! (floors too) Enjoy it. I used #8 shot in mine....cheap and fun.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The cheapest stuff around USED TO BE Federal Game Loads. I can remember, long about September, when there would be piles and stacks of them at Walmart, for a buck and a quarter, maybe a buck fifty a box.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...ga-2-3-4-1-oz-shotshells-25-rds.aspx?a=223709

Ain't that cheap any more, but still are about the cheapest stuff around.

It's a light load, designed for quail and squirrel at 20 yards or less, so it has a small payload and little recoil.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Shotshells.

Some are marked in "dram equivalent". This goes back to black powder days. A dram is 1/16 of an ounce - about 26 grains. So if you loaded a shell with 2 3/4 drams of powder, it would kick THIS much, and throw the lead THIS fast. Put 3 drams of powder in it and it would kick harder and throw the shot faster. When smokeless first came out, they would mark the boxes, saying "this is the equivalent of 3 drams of powder" or "this is the equivalent of 3 1/4 drams of powder", and the old black-powder shotgunners knew what it meant. Some makers have started going away from that (mainly because no one knows what it means anymore) and are putting a velocity on the box. But there are still some out there marked Dr. Eqv. You might see some that say, "3 1/4, 1 1/8, 7 1/2". That means 3 1/4 dram equivalent, 1 1/8 ounce of shot, shot size 7 1/2.

Just remember, the first number will be the dram equivalent. The larger the number the faster it throws the charge, and the more kick it has.

Shot sizes. The bigger the number, the smaller the pellet. There is bird shot and there is buck shot. Both are numbered, but there is a little cross-over confusion. Bird shot goes from #2 (the largest numbered) down to #12 (the smallest), while buckshot goes from #4 (the smallest numbered) up to 000 (the largest). While both birdshot and buckshot have a #2 and a #4, they are not the same size.

Shot weight. This is, simply, the amount of shot in the shell. It usually ranges from 7/8 ounce (in light target loads) to 1 1/2 ounces (in heavy duck or turkey loads). The more pellets being thrown, the better the chance of hitting the target, but the heavier the shot charge, the more recoil.

Shell size. Modern 12 gauge ammo comes in 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" shells. Your gun will be marked as to what size it takes. You can use smaller, but do not use bigger. Normally, the bigger the shell, the heavier the shot charge and the higher the recoil.

Attached Files:

11. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Couch gun, I like that. lol. The Stoeger coachgun is well worth the $379 price tag. Great feel (especially the beavertail forearm) and reliable. The 3" chambers are a big plus, but both barrels with 3" mags is a handful. Still has choked barrels, though. To some that's a plus I guess.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am very glad you ask.. They are one of my specialty loads of my own concoction.

I reload my own 12 and 20 ga. A catbuster load is simply a trap load, which is a 1 1/8 oz column of shot at approximately 1145 fps, with the lead shot replaced with a load of 6mm airsoft BBs. I use the heavy weight .25 gram BBs and they do a number on feral animals and have absolutely no recoil.

Outwardly they look just like a normal shotshell even use the same wad and crimp. They load just like you would load your own buckshot. Loading the 6mm airsoft BBs is very similar to loading #4 Buck. procedure is the same. They are fun to shoot and my youngest boy wes loves to shoot them too. Hes 5. they have that little recoil a 5 yr old can shoot the 12 ga SxS by himself.
  13. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

Love those coach guns. No school like old school.
  14. bobski

bobski Former Guest

they kick like mules.
    personally, i dont enjoy kick, so if given a chance to own a gun that looks cool or will not kill my arm, i'll take the gun that wont kill my arm.
  15. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

l finally went to an indoor range, and shot some ammo with my Couch gun. I purchased 4 boxes (reading off the box) 12guage 2¾ Federal vital-shok with 00 buck 9 pellets 1325 fps 5rounds per box for under 4 bucks.

I used the range standard human target at 30 and 40 feet. I figured that would be about how far my assailant would be. Any closer then that I’d use my 38 revolver with hollow points, because it would better my chances of reloading faster.

I’m a big guy and was surprised when I felt that recoil for first time. It pushed me back a bit. I was ready for it on second, and it hurt a little less. I have to learn to respect that weapon.

I was please with the results. With my untrained eye, it looked like all the shot hit fairly close together, around a 12 to 15 inch diameter. It was about the same at 40 feet.

Again, I’m new at this shotgun stuff, so I’m not sure if that was a good pattern, or if it was the right ammo. All I can say is that it felt good and looked good to me. I think this is the ammo I’ll use for home defense ONLY! LOL I’ll need a very good recoil pad.

Since I’ll be using it for target practice most of the time, I’ll find a cheaper load with less recoil, or reload and use JLA’s catbusters recipe. Sounds Good.