I have a question for the wise old reloaders

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

What do you think of adding BB's or steel shot to my walnut hull in my tumbler. I read here the other day a guy used steel pins that did a good job of cleaning his brass. This just got me to thinking. It seems to me that something like steel shot would do an even better job without removing any brass from the case walls. Tell me what you think about this idea.

Always looking for a better way.......
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

The stainless pins are used in a rotary tumbler along with water. Never heard of using them in a vibrating tumbler.
  3. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 New Member

Those stainless pins are spendy as well, and if you don't already have a rotary tumbler.....real spendy! Here's a thought though.. got some old brass on its last reload? Give your idea a try, and let us know how it worked out, you could be on to something. :)
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It's worth a try but I'm thinking that the shot will just settle to the bottom and stay there.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i use rice, treated corn cob media, and fine corn comb media, plus a lil brasso.. makes some beautifull brass.. especially after a quick US cleaning too.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, I think you would have to use a rotary tumbler to get any results but I like the idea; may be an effective (cheap) alternative to the SS pin system that's out there now. Shot that is bigger than the flashole but smaller than the primer pocket would be ideal I think, say #6 or something close? maybe #4's? or maybe even mixing sizes?
  7. X Ring

X Ring Member

Don’t know how wise but, I’m sure old enough.
    Anything heavy will just settle to the bottom of a vibratory tumbler.
    Been there done that.
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Brasso contains Ammonia and is harmful to brass. Do not add Brasso or an other additive that contains Ammonia.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Ditto that, I have seen the effects and it Does make it brittle. I know there are folks that swear it doesn't, and I am not trying to argue a point. I just don't chose to ignore metalurgists and first hand experiences.

I will say that if , IF you allow the tumbler to run with the lid open for 20-30 min, then the majority of the ammonia will evaporate. (leaving you with about the same formula without ammonia in the first place)
  10. soundguy

seems odd that a brass polish would be designed to damage brass?
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

The effects of stainless pins in a rotary tumbler are only favorable because they are suspended in water. I would be hesistant to try anything harder than brass dry, the results should be obvious. Aside from corn or walnut and the few safe additives out there, I wouldnt recommend anything else in the vibratory tumblers.
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Doesn't really "Damage" it so the affects can be seen, it leaches out the Zinc causing it to be brittle. Not a problem for your Fire Pole or other brass objects in the home, but a big problem when your brass needs to withstand 50-65,000 PSI.
  13. soundguy

hmm.. might make me substitute in some rubbing compound next time and see what that does. with the amonia out of the brasso.. I imagine it's not much mor ethan fine rubbing compound and perhaps a bit of paste wax?
  14. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

Have any of you tried adding Comet cleanser? I know it is abrasive powder. Would that not shine up the brass if say it were added to the walnut hull media?
  15. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My addage is this, there are specific products designed for specific purposes. With all the choices readily available, why try to re-invent the wheel. Roosters, Lyman, Dillon and other media additives designed just for cartridge brass are just a click away and not expensive.