I have a question for the wise old reloaders

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Aug 22, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Then again soundguy, maybe you will try something new and come out with a product development that will net you millions. Isn't that how products get invented? Isn't that what keeps the wheel turning? Isn't that why we live in America. Maybe while Steve is at home being safe reloading his same old brass for the umpteen dozenth time, maybe you will be sitting on the beach somewhere sipping margaritas while one of your employees is cleaning your new Gary Reeder custom built revolver. I am not disrespecting Steve, I am just saying go for it. Oh by the way, if you do make it big can I be the guy on the beach cleaning your guns? :D
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Good point, but if you feel the need for an "Abrasive" why not avoid all the soaps and perfumes and go with a true Media abrasive.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/135675/rcbs-polishing-compound-package-of-5

I personally have no need for brass that smells Comet Clean.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

powdered polishing compound.

sounds like 3m glass/PC polish, without the lil mit of water they put in it.

that's what I'm gonna try next.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you need clean brass then use walnut shell media. It cleans the brass and leaves the surface dull but clean.

If you want shiny brass then use corn cob media with brass case polish like Dillon sells.

If you want both do the walnut shells media followed by the corn cob media.

When the cases are sized, the sizing die burnishes the brass surface adding more shine even to the walnut shell media processed brass.

But I clean brass to save my sizing dies from scratches from debris stuck to the just fired cases, not to make a shining example of my ammo making skills. Beauty is in the results and good clean ammo that shoots well is better than ultra-shinny flashy look cartridges that have been compromised by a cleaning agent or process that weakens them. 60,000 psi is excessive and I sure don't want it to escape into my face from compromised brass cases.

Reloading is about making good shooting ammo, not shinny object for others to view. Just clean is good enough for me as I'm a shooter not a poser. So I use walnut shell media and that's all. You can do whatever you want but don't count on me visiting you in the hospital or at the grave site. BE SAFE!

LDBennett
  5. soundguy

hmm? where'd my post go concerning amonia, brasso and the msds?

had a nice page long post typed out and researched.. had the amonia percentages by weight to which i calculated out grams of amonia in the mix.. and the flash points?

all gone? WTF?

sure don't have the time to go get all that data and re-type it again? :(
  6. soundguy

no problem.. I'll go ahead and scratch that name off my guest visitor list.

who's next?
  7. zant

zant Member

I dumped a cup of white rice in with corn media the other night-put in 6.5x06 brass-forgot about it till next day(14hrs)-brass looked brand new....ammonia a no-no with firearm brass...
  8. soundguy

9. LDJ

LDJ Member

I use corn cob media with brass case polish I get at Cabelas. Works great. Does not harm the Brass. What more would you need?
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Wow, has this thread drifted. Anyway, I use Nu-Finish. Available off the shelf at any awful zone.
  11. soundguy

what do people think about phosphoric acid as an add for polishing?
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

harbor freight has 25lb bags of polishing media, plan on using that when my walnut runs out here in a couple weeks or so.

I do want to try the SS pins though when I get the extra $$. I've got an old drill laying around that's deadlined but the motor is still good; may make my own rotary tumbler and just buy the SS pin media to save some bucks.