I have a quick question.....Please help!

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

The Mole from GB
    (9/12/01 2:15:06 pm)
    | Edit | Del All I have a quick question.....Please help!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a friend around the houston area...he is a customer of mine and I wanted to take him hunting this year. He told me that he was convicted of a Felony in 1996 (I didn't ask him what for) and he wasn't sure that he could get a hunting license. I asked him if he could carry a gun and he told me that he was unsure about a shotgun but he knew he couldn't carry a pistol. I called the Texas Parks and Wildlife and they said that he could obtain a hunting license but he couldn't carry a firearm. Here is my question; Can my friend use a Black Powder Rifle, shotgun, or what? Please respond ASAP if you know.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,
    THE MOLE

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 2:23:59 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: I have a quick question.....Please help!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't believe it has anything to do with hunting, it boils down to him being a felon and having a firearm.

I will do some searching on the net and see if I can find anything for you.

Can your friend get his rights back? if so that would solve the problem.

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

twins
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 2:29:39 pm)
    I THINK he can use a black powder of any kind. I believe it is Not considered a firearm , or somehing like that. I know he can definately use a bow. At least in Iowa anyway.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/12/01 2:30:36 pm)
    A10) Q. How can a person convicted of a felony have his or her gun privileges restored? [Back]

A. Under the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), convicted felons and certain other persons are prohibited from possessing firearms. (See 18 U.S.C. section 922(g).) The GCA provides the Secretary of the Treasury with the authority to grant relief from this disability where the Secretary determines that the person is not likely to act in a manner dangerous to the public safety. (See 18 U.S.C. section 925(c).) The Secretary delegated this authority to ATF.

Since October 1992, however, ATF's annual appropriation has continuously prohibited the expending of any funds to investigate or act upon applications for relief from Federal firearms disabilities. This restriction is located in Pub. L. No. 106-554, 114 Stat. 2763, which contains ATF appropriations for fiscal year 2001. As long as this provision is included in current ATF appropriations, the Bureau cannot act upon applications for restoration of Federal firearms privileges submitted by individuals. Consequently, we cannot entertain any individual's request for firearms restoration while this prohibition on the processing of such applications remains in place.

Furthermore, the restriction contained in Pub. L. No. 106-554 does not change the status of prohibited persons. They are still prohibited from possessing, receiving, transporting, or shipping firearms under Federal law.

(A11) Q. Are there any alternatives for restoration of firearms privileges? [Back]

A. Current alternatives for restoration of Federal firearms privileges are as follows:

Persons convicted of a Federal offense may apply for a Presidential pardon for restoration of Federal firearms privileges. Sections 1.1 through 1.10 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 28, specify the rules governing petitions for obtaining Presidential pardons. You may contact the Pardon Attorney's Office at the U.S. Department of Justice, 500 First Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530, to inquire about the procedures for obtaining a Presidential pardon.

Persons convicted of a State offense may contact the State Attorney General's Office within the State in which they reside for information concerning any alternatives that may be available.

If I have additional questions, what section should I contact?

Please address your questions, in writing, to the ATF Restoration Section at the following address:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
    P.O. Box 50220
    Tech World Post Office
    Washington, DC 20091
    ATTN: Restoration Section

Here is a link to the site where I found this info:www.atf.treas.gov/firearm...q2.htm#a11

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

Edited by: Flhunter at: 9/12/01 3:31:28 pm

gpostal
    (9/12/01 2:50:03 pm)
    fl

from what i understand ,all firearms are illegal for a felon to posses ,only way it can ever be restored is the conviction be overturned or pardoned ,they can have a hunting license and hunt with a bow ,blowgun ,airgun,

was the felony committed as a adult ? ,if it was while they were under 18, yes they can own a firearm even obtain a ffl

LTS could be wrong

AntiqueDr
    (9/12/01 3:17:54 pm)
    As far as Texas state regulations go... any person convicted of a felony may not possess a firearm anywhere, even in their own home, for the first five years after release from confinement or the first five years after completion of parole/probation (whichever applies). After that five years, the convicted felon may possess a firearm in their home ONLY.
    A firearm is defined in this instance to include black powder guns, however, antique or curio firearms made before 1899 are not considered firearms and may be possessed.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com