I have a weard question

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gun-nut, Jan 28, 2012.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

This question was asked to me from a coworker. If the 10mm and the 40 S&W are the same (yes we understand that the length is diffrent) just like a 38 spl is to the 357 mag. Then could you run 40S&W in a auto pistol thats chamberd for the 10mm? I told them no do to the fact that the head spacing comes off the mouth of the case. I am i wrong or not?
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

You are correct sir. To shoot a lighter load just load the 10mm brass to .40S&W specs.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Although, there is a good possibility it would work. Very possibly the extractor hook would hold the case back against the face of the bolt, and would hold it sturdy enough that the firing pin would pop the primer.

You see posts on boards where people find 9mm cases with the mouths blown out, and you can tell they were obviously fired in a 40.

So it very well could work. Problem is, if you depended on it working, like routinely carrying 38s in your 357, the first time you needed it to work (try to mug me huh? Take that), that would be the time it would pick to slip off the hook and jam your gun.

Best to stick to the caliber the gun was designed for.
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member