I have had a problem with this for over 20 years.

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by gvw3, Aug 6, 2012.

1. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I think this is the most abused and overlooked amendment of all. If you get pulled over by the police in this country and they find anything they consider illegal they seize your car. Most people don't realize you may never get this back.

From the day of the seizure you have 30 days to file for the return of your property. Don't try to get a lawyer to help as they won't even file this if it's under $50,000. They just stole your car.

If the charges don't stick and you are not guilty you will still never see your car. I am using a car as an example but it could be your home, boat or whatever.

Police departments are now including the revenue form these seizures in their budget. This creates an incentive to increase these seizures right or wrong. Most citizens were ok with this as they were told it was a tool they could use to fight the drug dealers. It's plain and simple a revenue generator.

I think everyone should be standing up for this amendment and demanding an end to these seizures without due process. :mad:
  2. north tex

north tex Member

Several years ago I remember a story of a guy in Florida that was carrying a large amount of cash for a business deal he was going to. He got stopped and "searched" and the cops took the money as evidence that he was dealing in drugs. No other evidence other than some of the money had "traces of cocaine". He had just picked the money up from a bank! Almost any money in circulation for more than a month will have some traces of illegal drugs on it. I know he was fighting the confiscation but was being stonewalled by the DA and Cops for years. Never did hear the final outcome.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. bountyh

bountyh Former Guest

You are correct. It is abused and they should put a stop to it. It was originally given to the cops so they could sieze the proceeds from drug dealers and prevent them from keeping what they earned illegally. But it has turned into a case where cops sieze anything and everything and you must spend thousands getting it back, even if no charges are ever filed.

We had a case here in southern California where a hispanic man was pulled over by cops for no reason, searched and found to have a couple of thousand in cash on him.... so th cops took it as "drug money" but let him go since they had no evidence of any crime.

He was responding to an ad for a used car he planned to buy, had the ad in his pocket and had called the seller first to tell him he was coming.

Ridiculous and racist law as it is being used.
  4. bountyh

bountyh Former Guest

Yep, but read this:

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-08-14/...cocaine-dollar-bills-paper-bills?_s=PM:HEALTH

90 percent of U.S. bills carry traces of cocaine
    COCAINE
    August 14, 2009|By Madison Park CNN

The term "dirty money" is for real.

In the course of its average 20 months in circulation, U.S. currency gets whisked into ATMs, clutched, touched and traded perhaps thousands of times at coffee shops, convenience stores and newsstands. And every touch to every bill brings specks of dirt, food, germs or even drug residue.

Research presented this weekend reinforced previous findings that 90 percent of paper money circulating in U.S. cities contains traces of cocaine.
  5. gvw3

This is just theft by government. An 18 year old girl had just received from her grandmother a new car as a graduation gift. She used some of her retirement saving to do this.

A few weeks after receiving the gift she was pulled over by the local police. The found a stub of a joint in the ashtray. The police seized the car.

The charges were latter dropped but the car was gone. It was sold at auction and the proceeds deposited in the cites bank account.

This is a well know fact to the towing companies. They have lots of these cars that will never be returned to the owners. This is no more than theft.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Would it be better to organize a campaign to write your congress people/legislators? You may get no response, but if you keep at it things might change. At least you will have a better chance than posting here, which may feel good, but is guaranteed to get no results at all.

Jim
  7. skullfr

skullfr New Member

cops are well known for dirty deals and flubbed investigations.It aint new.You tell me that some cops aint took a handfull of a huge cash bust.The big northern cities have always had problems with corruption.Makes it hard for a young officer to do the right thing.Look at the 2 New York detectives Esposito and Cappa who were mob hit men while on duty.
  8. bountyh

bountyh Former Guest

There were some small towns in Florida located along the Tamiami Trail that used to make their money by pulling over any expensive car cruising down the highway driven by a latino or African American and searching it and siezing it. I recall one of the African American drivers was a chief of detectives from a city in southern Fla and the redneck cops roughed him up and civil rights charges were brought against the city which had been "poaching" cars on that stretch of highway.

What a world. They used to have to be able to make a charge to steal your property.
  9. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

You may as well consider it lost, these blood sucking weasels that some people call represenatives of the people care about one thing only, to GET RE-ELECTED. After going to Washington, the only thing they do is campaign for re-election (sound like anyone) and accept money from lobyists. I haven't seen one yet that gives a damn about the people that sent them there, unless it's going to get them something in return for their feigned care. A buddy of said that several years back a friend of his went to Florida with about $10K in cash to buy a Corvette. He was stopped for a traffic offense and searched, the $10K was found and confiscated because of "suspected drug activity" and was never returned. Try the represantative route if you think it will do any good, but don't hold you breath until it's returned.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Does any of this make you mad? Does any of the things going on in this country today make you mad?
  11. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

to many things im sorry to say Carver:mad:
  12. gvw3

Jim I have been trying to get people to be aware of this since it started in the 80"s. One problem I have noted is most folks think this doesn't or will not effect them. This can very well effect anyone.

The NRA and folks like the people on this forum have moved a mountain on the 2nd Amendment. It's time now to go after the restoration of all our rights. I knew this was going on as a family member is the office manager of a large towing outfit. She opened my eye's to the scope of this. The police are moving up on these seizures. Due to the bad economy this is now a major revenue source for them.

These car's are wholesaled off ASAP. It's not just car's It could be your home , boat, motorcycle even your gun's. they don't need much of a reason to do this. I want to point out that this has never happen to me or anyone in my family. I am not ranting due to a personal issue I have.

Jim I have been writing my rep's and senator on this for years. Only form letters have ever been returned. I think a good place to start is in the voting booth. A good wake up call to all these guys would be for the state of Illinois to move from a blue state over to the red side. We have to demand all our rights back.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  13. bountyh

bountyh Former Guest

YES. I live in California, nearly everything the government here does makes me mad. But the worst part is, our state has the "initiative" process which means any brain dead moron can gather some signatures and put any idiotic law proposal on the balllot.... and if 50.0001% of the great sheeple masses get duped into voting for it, we are stuck with another stupid law. That process probably does more damage than all other government processes combined.