The Firearms Forum banner

I have made a terrible mistake.

10K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  al45lc 
#1 ·
in purchasing a ruger mini-14.

everyone i have ever asked told me it will fit my needs in a rifle since i do not trust DGI rifles. so i shelled out the 700 for a brand new ranch .223/5.56 only to find out i have dug my own grave just because of the magazines. i do like my ranch ergonomically as well as aesthetically, but i regret my decision solely based on the magazines for it.

i bought one single no name 30-rnd and got it shipped to me. i mean, its a mag, AKs will take any type of steel mag, ARs take all random steel mags made for it, so what the hell why not. upon arrival i slammed it in and noticed right away it had a bad fore to aft rock to it. this rock causes only a couple of rounds to feed before the bolt just simply passes over the rest in the mag. so i did what ive done to all my steel AK mags and tooled it - nope. same problem, no solid fit. its like the mag itself is to skinny width wise. i would have to put a bead of weld on the back then shape it to fit to even come close to working.

So i went back on line and researched, dear god what have i done

there are NO good after market mags for the Ruger Mini-14. none what so ever, if you tell me there is i can show you no less than 50 reviews that say whatever you have is a hunk of crap. Polymer, Stainless, Blued, ProMag, Tapco, John Masen- it dont matter its all crap and wont work like nothing compared to the whole grail of all semi-auto rifle mags, the ruger factory mag.

so my question is, whats it like driving a corvette since you can also afford to shell out 44 bucks for one magazine. Or did any of you make the same mistake and just put the 5 rnd mag that came with it back in the gun and store it somewhere where it wouldnt get in the way. other than taking out a small loan to get the same loadout i have for my others, i fear i am stuck.

See less See more
#2 ·
CDNN is having a sale on Ruger Factory 30-rnd Mini-14 Mags. right now at $33.86 each. That's not too bad for factory mag's.

Here's a link to click on:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rumi1430magn.html

I lucked out in that my 183-series Mini-14 happily uses any brand of mag. and any brand of ammo that I decide to use. You might look at your Mini's mag. latch and see if it needs to be adjusted. Most mag. problems are because the hole in the back at the top isn't in the right location or isn't the right size. After the mag. latch gets broken in some, it fits the holes in the mag's. better.

#4 ·
thats my problemo snake. this mag dosent have a hole in the back like the factory mag, its a spot welded (i think) rectangle plate, that was off center to begin with that i had to shape to get into that small notch inside the well.

so i punched a hole in that mag so the latch would seat more forward, stopping the play since that latch is acting like a fulcrum point for the entire mag. no joy. it still wants to seat even further into this mag, almost a full 8th into it. i have no idea in there infinite wisdom why ruger made that an angled catch when if it was flush against the mag upon insertion, all you would need as a rectangle plate.

thanks snake i appreciate the help, and the link, i just find it redamndiculous that for a functional mag i still have to pay out the ass, when the most you will ever have to pay for any other rifle is 25 bucks at the most.

#5 ·
I hear what you say about the expense of good mags for your rifle, but you DO have a great rifle to start with. Thirty-odd bucks each for a factory mag is pricey, but buy 5 or 6 over time and you should be set for life with a great rifle and dependable mags.

On the other hand, buy a cheaper rifle (that you can find cheap mags for) and you've got a cheap rifle for life. Or until you dump it and buy the one you really want.....

I've never worn out a mag.

#7 · (Edited)
thats my problemo snake. this mag dosent have a hole in the back like the factory mag, its a spot welded (i think) rectangle plate, that was off center to begin with that i had to shape to get into that small notch inside the well.

so i punched a hole in that mag so the latch would seat more forward, stopping the play since that latch is acting like a fulcrum point for the entire mag. no joy. it still wants to seat even further into this mag, almost a full 8th into it. i have no idea in there infinite wisdom why ruger made that an angled catch when if it was flush against the mag upon insertion, all you would need as a rectangle plate.

thanks snake i appreciate the help, and the link, i just find it redamndiculous that for a functional mag i still have to pay out the ass, when the most you will ever have to pay for any other rifle is 25 bucks at the most.
Man, forgive my error I screwed up trying to work from memory. There is a rectangular protrution on the back of the mag. that the mag. latch locks into. In order to lock up tight the knotch needs to be square and at the right height. Here's a photo of a Ruger factory Mini-14 Mag. I still think the latch may need a little help.

Attachments

#10 ·
yea, that small notch right underneath the rectangle piece, apparently that one spot is whats needed for a mag to work properly in the mini and every-single-aftermarket company is missing it. im afraid to put that notch under the one that was bought for me as a gift cause then i obviously cant return it. but that one is a pro-mag, and it automatically sits higher than my no name mag, but the round catches against the bore, but as soon as you touch the mag, it sits.

i understand that there are more expensive mags out there and i feel for you especially since i done and did this to myself. but i didnt exactly buy a rare rifle here. FAL, AK, AR, M1 carbine, M14 all those have working functional mags available for 25 bucks or less and its my fault for thinking the mini would be the same way.

#11 ·
I'm just here to agree...

Buying a Ruger Mini is a mistake.

#13 ·
How about almost $50.00 for a Bersa Thunder 9 UC mag? Great pistol but the mag price is ridiculous.

#14 · (Edited)

why?

my first hunting experiences came on that gun. plenty of florida deer fell to those guns between me and my step brother and stepfather.

nothing endemically wrong with the action of a properly functioning gun...

price and availablilty are as market demands. go try to buy a keltec KSG shotgun. sugested retail is 800$.. IF you can get one you will pay 1600$ or more.

everything else are user issues assuming the gun is 'correct'

#15 · (Edited)
Diamondback, I think Zant is talking about the Type 99 light machinegun, not the Type 99 rifle, and he is sure right about those magazines; they are made from unobtanium.

Maybe it is silly to point this out and I will get slapped down, but the Ruger magazines have to be inserted like the M14 magazines - tip forward at the bottom, put the front into the mag well until the front hole engages, then swing the bottom back and up. If you try to just push them straight in like the AR rifles, they jam and won't feed.

OK, I am wearing a steel pot (no cheap kevlar for this old soldier), so let fly. ;)

Jim

#16 ·
I may be a dinosaur, but my butt still burns when Ruger is brought up. Some of us old timers remember what Bill Ruger did concerning Hi-cap mags back in the clinton days. I don't care for Ruger...period.

The Mini-14 is overpriced and over rated (yes, I have owned several). It is basically a 150 yard semi auto rifle thatis neither particularly accurate, reliable nor special. The magazine situation is regrettable, but true.

We all have made mistakes when buying firearms, it is a tough way to learn, but learn you will. Trade the thing and get a decent AR. Mags are plentiful, accuracy is ten times better, and AM parts are everywhere.

regards

#17 · (Edited)
If you sell the gun your probably gona take a loss on it. Look at it this way the loss you would take is the difference you would pay in mags.

Ruger has its place in a collection. it will shoot whatever you put in it. suck it up and buy the mags. keep the rilfe, you will be glad you have it when shtf. start saving money for an ar. mags and rifles are no good without pleanty of ammo. if your complaining about mags you dont have enough ammo either.

#18 ·

A few years ago I bought a Ruger Target Model Ranch Rifle - the one with the laminated stock, adjustable harmonic dampener, and so forth. I'm used to shooting a Garand, M1A and HBAR, so the lack of sling swivels was a bother, though not one which couldn't be addressed. Began to think in terms of installing a bipod, which led me to consider additional higher capacity mags. The ONLY mags that seemed to function with any degree of reliability were the five rounder it came with, and a new in the box Ruger mfg. 30 rounder stamped LE Only which I'd stashed a while back. Within a couple of months I'd traded the rifle off for one of USRA's Winchester 1895s in 30'06.

#19 · (Edited)
i did buy this as a SHTF rifle. .223/5.56, rugged and heavy, solidly built. the mag situation is all i have to say bad about it. and im sorry, but again im not buying a DGI AR, and 1500 for a single black tool is asking way to damn much. id rather blow that all on a decked out .300WM bolt action, or a frickin lathe...drill press, probably a drill press.

i got word that bass pro sells factory 30rnd'ers for around 30 bucks, i was on my way to houston tomorrow anyway. due to what everyone has told me i might as well buckle down and get it. if i have to, i can make that a selling point in the future that it has extra mags. we will see how it goes.

...1500 for a "reliable" rifle, pffft, i traded a rusted shotgun for my AK, and i havent been able to make that thing jam, and boy have i tried.

#20 ·
Holy Cow!! A Mini Ranch I bought for my brother years ago is still going strong. I gave him the rifle and 5 or 6 factory mags with it, and he never reported any problems. Unless Ruger quality has deteriorated that much it should be a great SHTF choice. Should shoot as hard, fast and accurately as most off the rack ARs in the same caliber.

You can build most any rifle into a 'tack-driver' - I'm talking off-the-shelf mass produced short barreled ARs. I have 3 and they shoot just fine, but are not target guns. They are short range (under 200 yards) defensive weapons.

2 pennies more - I've bought aftermarket mags for my M1A and M1 Carbines that were absolute trash. Ended up saving the springs and followers for spares and tossing the rest. I'm a firm believer in having at least 6 hi-quality mags for any semi-auto I own.

#21 ·
Here's a rule I follow for all my semi-auto magazine fed gun, pistols and rifles:

FACTORY MAGAZINES ONLY

Some times that is expensive but it completely eliminates the risk of getting crummy non-working magazines as I have gotten before this rule was in place, that got immediately got trashed.

For those who want a higher than 10 count magazine, that's tough here in California as none can be sold with more than a 10 round capacity. Some legal eagle here told some sellers at gun shows here in CA that they could sell magazine repair kits for older grandfathered larger capacity mags. So they disassemble a larger capacity magazine out of state and send it to CA as magazine parts which they sell in a package as a disassembled magazine. Works for me!

LDBennett

#22 ·
When I bought my 183-series Mini-14 back in mid-1982 I paid $280 OTD with one Ruger 20-round mag thrown in. Since then I've been happy with it in that it never fails to shoot and it will digest any ammo & accept any mag. I choose to use. Over the years I've collected about 10 metal 30-rounders that all seem to work fine in my gun. They snap-in and lock in place just like the Ruger factory items.

I did put a Mo-Rod on the gun to quell the tendency to have barrel whip and wandering POI when the gun warms up under rapid fire. With the Mo-Rod in place the gun is a consistent & reliable 2" shooter at 100 yards now. The one big downfall of the gun is that I haven't found a reliable way to mount a scope on the old model Mini, so I'm stuck with using only iron sights. It's more challenging for my old eyes.

I got a very nice AR-15 last fall that is very accurate and reliable. Excellent modern metal 30-rnd mag's. with magpul follower are redily available for under $10 and mounting a rock solid scope on the flat top receiver is a piece of cake. I have over $1,000 in the AR, as outfitted, though.

I still love shooting my Mini-14, but the AR is a REAL battle rifle.

#23 ·
Don't give up on the Mini- 14. I had one many moons ago but sold it and wish I didn't. It shot anything I fed it and I had many 30 round mags for it and never had a problem. That was 12 years ago i'd say, maybe their quality isn't what it used to be though.

#24 ·
Jim B. is totally right on the money,...save up your pennies until you have 5 or 6 Factory Mags. and then you are set for life.....Hey you could be talking about a pre-war Walther PPK RZM, and to shell out $300.00 to $350.00 for a finger ext. magazine will take your breath away and some trips to the marriage counsellor,,,,Hahahaha...(just kidding)

Denny G.

#26 ·
I'd love to have a Mini 14. Maybe not tack drivers but I really like the style of rifle...that is if it has the wood stock. They had a special addition out about a year ago I wish I had snatched up; wood stock, longer (20") blued barrel with flash suppressor, I believe it came with a thirty round mag but it might have been twenty. Was a tad bit too pricy for my budget at the time. Anyway, if I had one I'd go ahead and stock up on Ruger mags, even if only one a month. Then enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.