I have made a terrible mistake.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Unknown, Nov 10, 2012.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Here's a rule I follow for all my semi-auto magazine fed gun, pistols and rifles:

FACTORY MAGAZINES ONLY

Some times that is expensive but it completely eliminates the risk of getting crummy non-working magazines as I have gotten before this rule was in place, that got immediately got trashed.

For those who want a higher than 10 count magazine, that's tough here in California as none can be sold with more than a 10 round capacity. Some legal eagle here told some sellers at gun shows here in CA that they could sell magazine repair kits for older grandfathered larger capacity mags. So they disassemble a larger capacity magazine out of state and send it to CA as magazine parts which they sell in a package as a disassembled magazine. Works for me!

LDBennett
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

When I bought my 183-series Mini-14 back in mid-1982 I paid $280 OTD with one Ruger 20-round mag thrown in. Since then I've been happy with it in that it never fails to shoot and it will digest any ammo & accept any mag. I choose to use. Over the years I've collected about 10 metal 30-rounders that all seem to work fine in my gun. They snap-in and lock in place just like the Ruger factory items.

I did put a Mo-Rod on the gun to quell the tendency to have barrel whip and wandering POI when the gun warms up under rapid fire. With the Mo-Rod in place the gun is a consistent & reliable 2" shooter at 100 yards now. The one big downfall of the gun is that I haven't found a reliable way to mount a scope on the old model Mini, so I'm stuck with using only iron sights. It's more challenging for my old eyes.

I got a very nice AR-15 last fall that is very accurate and reliable. Excellent modern metal 30-rnd mag's. with magpul follower are redily available for under $10 and mounting a rock solid scope on the flat top receiver is a piece of cake. I have over $1,000 in the AR, as outfitted, though.

I still love shooting my Mini-14, but the AR is a REAL battle rifle.
  3. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Don't give up on the Mini- 14. I had one many moons ago but sold it and wish I didn't. It shot anything I fed it and I had many 30 round mags for it and never had a problem. That was 12 years ago i'd say, maybe their quality isn't what it used to be though.
  4. denny 714

denny 714 Member

Jim B. is totally right on the money,...save up your pennies until you have 5 or 6 Factory Mags. and then you are set for life.....Hey you could be talking about a pre-war Walther PPK RZM, and to shell out $300.00 to $350.00 for a finger ext. magazine will take your breath away and some trips to the marriage counsellor,,,,Hahahaha...(just kidding)

Denny G.
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Throw it in a dumpster....
    piece-o-junk.....

Attached Files:

6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'd love to have a Mini 14. Maybe not tack drivers but I really like the style of rifle...that is if it has the wood stock. They had a special addition out about a year ago I wish I had snatched up; wood stock, longer (20") blued barrel with flash suppressor, I believe it came with a thirty round mag but it might have been twenty. Was a tad bit too pricy for my budget at the time. Anyway, if I had one I'd go ahead and stock up on Ruger mags, even if only one a month. Then enjoy.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

LD, would it be a major felony for someone in a state with no restrictions to buy hi cap mags for someone in Cal? Is there any law for private individuals re shipping mags? I know businesses wont do it, but that goes into a whole trade thing that I'm not sure applies to individuals.
  8. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Why?

In one word...PRICE.

It's a $400 gun.

For what a Mini costs today you can buy a entry level AR, a million more accessories, GI surplus 30 round mags for $10 or far better PMags for $14. AND far more accurate.

I have owned 2 Mini's and they weren't very accurate at all. I wouldn't have enough faith with one to shoot at a deer past 100 yards for fear of a poorly placed shot.

They are over priced IMO.
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

All the experts always cut down the guns they don't like.
    I say that in a sarcastic way.....because it's the truth.
    I get so sick of the way things are said...not
    what is said.....
    Everybody that is somebody important acts and speaks this way,
    and you better listen to them...because they know....
    [I don't know why I take the time to express...]
    One day soon, I am gonna give up...it is futile.
    I thought the thread was about the magazine...aftermarket.....
    what a thread drift !!!! :(:(
  10. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

The most common cause
    of a mis-feed issue
    with a Mini-14

Page10 in Mini-14 Owner's Manual

and......each[all, every] aftermarket
    magazine I have purchased came with
    a heads-up....this one from CTD.....

insert the magazine properly
    or you may have a feed issue.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      159.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      180.3 KB
      Views:
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

JEEZ.....!
    I SWEAR I size these pics before I attach them.....:(
  12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Hugger...hug this for a test....
    and to your benefit, I am getting pretty old.[70]
    You look at my junk line-up of Mini-14's
    and you pick which one.
    We measure off 200yds, you say go, I shoot at you.
    Willing to take that gamble, or you say it would
    just be a fluke...if I hit you ????
    No malice intended.....but what 'hands-on'
    experience do you 'personally' have ?
    [In one word...PRICE.---GunHugger]
    In one word....? Experience ? Hearsay ?
    Overheard ? Guessing ? Military ? Forums ?

All my AR's kick the Mini-14's ass......
    They are constantly accurate beyond 1000 yds,
    and the mags only cost me $5......
    I get so sick of the 'expertise'.......
    Guilty, thread drift to the max !
    [My apologies for being a senile old fart...
    not my fault....old asphalt !]
  13. 01brian

01brian New Member

ozo, this us pretty confusing. Are you for mini's?
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  14. zant

zant Member

SOMEBODY loves Ruger Mini's:)...Every Mini I've shot incld AC556 would do 2-4" at 100yds and as they say that's good enough for gov't work.If you like it,buy Ruger mags when you can.Politics aside,Ruger made a handy little rifle and should have sold hi-caps to general public...he probably would have sold 2 or 3 times as many rifles if the mags were 9-11$...
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think there is anything inherent in the Ruger design that results in the Mini-14 not being especially accurate. I think Ruger just never spent the time and money needed to tune those rifles, plus there has been little demand for improved barrels, better bedding and the whole accuracy tuning game. Basically, the gun has been treated as a medium power plinker, not a rifle worthy of a place on the target ranges. Of course if the money were spent to "accurize" the Mini-14, it would no longer be inexpensive.

The AR-15, on the other hand, has had millions of (mainly) government dollars poured into making it an accurate rifle even though the first ones were not especially accurate.

Jim
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  16. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

yeah, what Jim said....
    and the mini-14 CAN be tuned....
  17. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Yes, us pretty confusing.

Me...for mini's...?????
    You can bet you fresh mountain air I AM.....!!!

If you spew the [Mini-14 isn't worth a damn after 100yds...
    not accurate.....wouldn't trust shooting at a deer with one.....]
    mentality.......why would you think it was inappropriate
    of me to offer a 'test' to your absolute knowledge of the lack
    of capabilities of the test weapon..????
    If you are certain it won't perform....and run amuck saying so,
    why would you not participate to be fired at....at that incapable
    distance.......if you are so sure ?

Not necessarily YOU, Brian,......but IF you read the entire
    thread, and comprehend, you understand me.
    Just my .07
  18. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Yep, the Mini-14 can be tuned, but I don't know anyone who does it, or at least specializes in it. The difference is that the AR was adopted by the U.S. armed forces, making it THE gun for service rifle matches, and for thousands or millions of people who want to make it shoot better. That, in turn, resulted in a proliferation of after-market parts and a whole lot of folks who have gone into business solely to improve the AR. (Some do, some don't, but that is another story.)

There is now a Mini-14 Target Rifle; I have not seen one and don't know how well they shoot, but they will be hard put to compete with the AR rifles.

Jim
  19. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

All I really care about......
    concerning this thread....
    Did Unknown get the knowledge he
    was seeking...???
    Did he figure out how to put the mag in?
  20. 01brian

01brian New Member

ok. Thanks for the clarification. especially at the end. I offered no opinion, you just confused me. I can see you are wound a bit tight tonight...i like my mini 14. I like ARs too. I like FN's and M1A's. I like green eggs and ham.

Too bad, I liked you. So long.