The Firearms Forum banner

I have made a terrible mistake.

10K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  al45lc 
#1 ·
in purchasing a ruger mini-14.

everyone i have ever asked told me it will fit my needs in a rifle since i do not trust DGI rifles. so i shelled out the 700 for a brand new ranch .223/5.56 only to find out i have dug my own grave just because of the magazines. i do like my ranch ergonomically as well as aesthetically, but i regret my decision solely based on the magazines for it.

i bought one single no name 30-rnd and got it shipped to me. i mean, its a mag, AKs will take any type of steel mag, ARs take all random steel mags made for it, so what the hell why not. upon arrival i slammed it in and noticed right away it had a bad fore to aft rock to it. this rock causes only a couple of rounds to feed before the bolt just simply passes over the rest in the mag. so i did what ive done to all my steel AK mags and tooled it - nope. same problem, no solid fit. its like the mag itself is to skinny width wise. i would have to put a bead of weld on the back then shape it to fit to even come close to working.

So i went back on line and researched, dear god what have i done

there are NO good after market mags for the Ruger Mini-14. none what so ever, if you tell me there is i can show you no less than 50 reviews that say whatever you have is a hunk of crap. Polymer, Stainless, Blued, ProMag, Tapco, John Masen- it dont matter its all crap and wont work like nothing compared to the whole grail of all semi-auto rifle mags, the ruger factory mag.

so my question is, whats it like driving a corvette since you can also afford to shell out 44 bucks for one magazine. Or did any of you make the same mistake and just put the 5 rnd mag that came with it back in the gun and store it somewhere where it wouldnt get in the way. other than taking out a small loan to get the same loadout i have for my others, i fear i am stuck.

See less See more
#52 ·
Just wait till Feinstein gets done with us....we'll all be like California.

#54 ·
Might the problem not be the magazine? Picture #44 seems to show the bullet nose jammed against a sharp edge of the chamber. If that is the case, it would seem to me that the problem would be there rather than with the magazine. True, another mag might point the bullet nose closer to the center of the chamber, but the round should feed from that position.

Jim

#57 ·
? I have a Mini -14 and several older steel mags, 20 and 30, and just recently bought two of the 30 ProMag polys, NO PROBLEMS! Yes they are slighly loose, but so are the steel ones of long ago.
And no, you shouldn't hold on to them when firing the gun, they're mags, not handles.
I read the HK post here, I have an aluminum 30 rd one that I had to work on when I got it, seems the follower had burrs that caused jamming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.