I have made a terrible mistake.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Unknown, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

JEEZ.....!
    I SWEAR I size these pics before I attach them.....:(
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Hugger...hug this for a test....
    and to your benefit, I am getting pretty old.[70]
    You look at my junk line-up of Mini-14's
    and you pick which one.
    We measure off 200yds, you say go, I shoot at you.
    Willing to take that gamble, or you say it would
    just be a fluke...if I hit you ????
    No malice intended.....but what 'hands-on'
    experience do you 'personally' have ?
    [In one word...PRICE.---GunHugger]
    In one word....? Experience ? Hearsay ?
    Overheard ? Guessing ? Military ? Forums ?

All my AR's kick the Mini-14's ass......
    They are constantly accurate beyond 1000 yds,
    and the mags only cost me $5......
    I get so sick of the 'expertise'.......
    Guilty, thread drift to the max !
    [My apologies for being a senile old fart...
    not my fault....old asphalt !]
  3. 01brian

01brian New Member

ozo, this us pretty confusing. Are you for mini's?
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  4. zant

zant Active Member

SOMEBODY loves Ruger Mini's:)...Every Mini I've shot incld AC556 would do 2-4" at 100yds and as they say that's good enough for gov't work.If you like it,buy Ruger mags when you can.Politics aside,Ruger made a handy little rifle and should have sold hi-caps to general public...he probably would have sold 2 or 3 times as many rifles if the mags were 9-11$...
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think there is anything inherent in the Ruger design that results in the Mini-14 not being especially accurate. I think Ruger just never spent the time and money needed to tune those rifles, plus there has been little demand for improved barrels, better bedding and the whole accuracy tuning game. Basically, the gun has been treated as a medium power plinker, not a rifle worthy of a place on the target ranges. Of course if the money were spent to "accurize" the Mini-14, it would no longer be inexpensive.

The AR-15, on the other hand, has had millions of (mainly) government dollars poured into making it an accurate rifle even though the first ones were not especially accurate.

Jim
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

yeah, what Jim said....
    and the mini-14 CAN be tuned....
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Yes, us pretty confusing.

Me...for mini's...?????
    You can bet you fresh mountain air I AM.....!!!

If you spew the [Mini-14 isn't worth a damn after 100yds...
    not accurate.....wouldn't trust shooting at a deer with one.....]
    mentality.......why would you think it was inappropriate
    of me to offer a 'test' to your absolute knowledge of the lack
    of capabilities of the test weapon..????
    If you are certain it won't perform....and run amuck saying so,
    why would you not participate to be fired at....at that incapable
    distance.......if you are so sure ?

Not necessarily YOU, Brian,......but IF you read the entire
    thread, and comprehend, you understand me.
    Just my .07
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Yep, the Mini-14 can be tuned, but I don't know anyone who does it, or at least specializes in it. The difference is that the AR was adopted by the U.S. armed forces, making it THE gun for service rifle matches, and for thousands or millions of people who want to make it shoot better. That, in turn, resulted in a proliferation of after-market parts and a whole lot of folks who have gone into business solely to improve the AR. (Some do, some don't, but that is another story.)

There is now a Mini-14 Target Rifle; I have not seen one and don't know how well they shoot, but they will be hard put to compete with the AR rifles.

Jim
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

All I really care about......
    concerning this thread....
    Did Unknown get the knowledge he
    was seeking...???
    Did he figure out how to put the mag in?
  10. 01brian

01brian New Member

ok. Thanks for the clarification. especially at the end. I offered no opinion, you just confused me. I can see you are wound a bit tight tonight...i like my mini 14. I like ARs too. I like FN's and M1A's. I like green eggs and ham.

Too bad, I liked you. So long.
  11. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

ok so.....despite the discussion going on between ARs and minis, im all for it. i hate AR's and that is why im an AK guy. and im not starting an argument there, just a point of reference. which is to also state i know how to load a mini, i thank all who have posted and made sure more people than me know how to load the mini, this one knows exactly how to rock in a mag properly, but thats some good lookin out, thank you.

furthermore, id like to reach back out to the nice guys who have helped me so far and ask as calmly, and politly as i can after spending the last 3 days on this computer, and on the road

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE F**K I CAN GET A PROPER FUNCTIONING FACTORY RUGER 30RND MAG?!?!

sorry, but my patience is incredibly thin after finding out, there are 2 different makes - of factory ruger mags. after finding a 20 rnd at bass pro, looked on the back of the mag, same exact design as the pro-mag that dosnt work in my mini, just the rectangle block and no notch. if no one knows what im talking about, the only design that seems to work is the design featured in snakes picture on the first page.

this is becoming a nightmare, any one in southeast texas wanna buy a 581 mini, never fired, cussed at plenty?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  12. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

i figured some pictures of my ever evolving headache. from left to right, Ruger 5rnd, no-name 30rnd, Pro-Mag 30rnd.

Attached Files:

13. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

the first is of course the back of the perfect fitting, perfect feeding Ruger 5rnd.

second is the back of the incredibly worked over no name 30rnd. punching that big ass hole it it seemed to help greatly actually! but the follower and spring are just beyond working with and its just an all over loss. 15 bucks down the drain.

the third is the back of all 3. again left to right, the Ruger, no name, Pro-Mag. notice, if you can, the back of the no name is the same damn config as the back of the Pro-Mag. quality first my ass. but ill give it that it does sit higher in the well and dosent jam as bad as the no name. and ill demonstrate.

Attached Files:

14. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

and here is the Pro-Mag, loaded, first round, racked hard as if it fired. the round sits right against the edge of the bore. its as if the bore was chamfered or rounded off, every round would go in perfectly, buuuut i aint about to do that cause that could have some dire consequences. this is the norm though, sometimes the round will catch on the collar of the round as well but this here is the most common.

Attached Files:

15. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

Deleted
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012