1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I have made a terrible mistake.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Unknown, Nov 10, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have some aftermarket 30 rnd mags that i simply dont put 30 rnds in and they work fine. They will not insert with the full 30 rnds but will if you put 27 or 28 in them.
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

....whatever.:p
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

After all is said and done about this subject, I have a question; Why? Why would a company manufacture an aftermarket magazine for a particular firearm that doesn't work? Surely some R&D went into producing these mags, why wouldn't they have realized there was a problem? Has anyone bothered to contact these companies to let them know their product doesn't work worth a damn?

I was a QC inspector for several mold manufacturers and on occasion we had to duplicate other products. With modern CNC processes exact reproductions of existing parts is easily achievable. So why would a company like Promag produce a magazine for a particular firearm that had a functional detail that didn't match the original? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Of course we know that all brands of the same product don't always perform the same, but it has been my experience that this usually has to do with parts failure due to materials used. Companies try to maximize profits by making parts of cheaper materials. These materials may fail during use and malfunction, but that doesn't appear to be the case in this instance, rather this seems to be an intentional variation of a critical design feature..

I apologize for going off on a tangent but thing like this really get my panties in a bunch.
  4. zant

zant Active Member

cdnnsports.com has factory Ruger mags in the wrap 20 and 30rd......
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Yesterday, 09:43 AM #27
    RunningOnMT:

Is a package of repair parts for a magazine a magazine under the law? I have no idea how the CA seller got the parts to CA but suppose someone outside CA disassembled a bunch of magazines, threw them in a box, and sent them as repair parts. He could put some parts in one box and some others in another box so that both shipments had to be combined to be complete magazines. Is that a violation of the law if the seller never assembles them as a magazine? It turns out it is not a violation to posses 10+ round magazines but only to sell them. So the buyer does the re-assembly. Did he break the law?

What I saw was that the mags were disassembled and put back into the original packaging and re-identifed as a repair kit. Is that illegal? I don't even know if they were shipped from out of state or just old stock the seller happen to have? The sellers were the magazine sellers that usually have huge stocks of magazines on their tables.

The whole 10 round magazine law is stupid, passed by anti-gunners who are eating away at our gun rights in California one bite at a time just like the way you eat an Elephant. The bad guys will get large capacity magazines whether there is a law or not. Meantime the honest gun owners suffer and the anti-gunners get another bite out of our gun rights. DUMB LAW. But this is typical of the CA liberal Legislature. I applaud anyone who finds a legal loop hole in any of these anti-gun laws. They have successfully and legally bypassed the CA Assault Weapons Ban with bullet buttons and guns configured around the law. These AR's and other semi-auto gun are the hottest selling guns in CA today and they are legal. Manufacturers even make "CA Legal" version of these guns. Screw the anti-gunners.

LDBennett
  6. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

that are the same exact style as the Pro-Mag
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Just wait till Feinstein gets done with us....we'll all be like California.
  8. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

That's why you get what you want/like, buy the ammo and dessicant bags and sit back. I hate her as much as you do. I voted for the person who ran against her, even if I didn't know that person!
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Might the problem not be the magazine? Picture #44 seems to show the bullet nose jammed against a sharp edge of the chamber. If that is the case, it would seem to me that the problem would be there rather than with the magazine. True, another mag might point the bullet nose closer to the center of the chamber, but the round should feed from that position.

Jim
  10. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

it is jim, but thats why i pointed this out though.

11. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I see a business opportunity.. hook up with someone to build your design and market your own magazine!
  12. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

? I have a Mini -14 and several older steel mags, 20 and 30, and just recently bought two of the 30 ProMag polys, NO PROBLEMS! Yes they are slighly loose, but so are the steel ones of long ago.
    And no, you shouldn't hold on to them when firing the gun, they're mags, not handles.
    I read the HK post here, I have an aluminum 30 rd one that I had to work on when I got it, seems the follower had burrs that caused jamming.