I have no idea

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by penguinasa, Dec 2, 2008.

1. penguinasa

penguinasa New Member

I have no idea what this rifle it. It is lacking in any kind of markings. All that is marked is the side of the reciever as shown in the picture. There are matching markings of STMG 14,6 gr on the bottom of the barrel also. It is in OK condition with some tool marks under the barrel.
    It is a really long story about how I ended up with this rifle. Too make a long story short it was given to me without much of a history. The only thing we know is that it was an older gentlemans uncles rifle. They are both now passed and the family line has ended. So there isnt anyone to ask about the origins of this.
    I thought it was a simple sporterized Mauser, but now I am not so Sure.
    If there are any other pictures that I can take to make it easier please let me know.
    Yes it is missing the rear trigger. Bummer Huh
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. penguinasa

penguinasa New Member

Here are some more pics

Attached Files:

3. penguinasa

penguinasa New Member

And some more pics

Attached Files:

4. penguinasa

penguinasa New Member

One more pic. And please if there are any more pics anyone needs me to take just let me know and i will take them

Attached Files:

5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

It looks to me like a sporterized late-war K98, but the markings might tell another tale.
    Interesting rifle...looks like it'd be a fun shooter.
  6. penguinasa

penguinasa New Member

It is a fun shooter. I was just wondering to keep shooting it or put it up. I was afraid to clean it up. If it isnt worth much I will re-do it and make it look nice.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

It's certainly a Mauser, but it has a crown over N proofmark, meaning it was built before 1940. It may not be a converted military rifle, but it was possibly built originally as a commercial model.
  8. penguinasa

penguinasa New Member

How much would something like this go for?
  9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I'm certainly no Mauser expert, but it's definitely a military style action with the stripper clip notch in the side of the action. The barrel, sights, set trigger and stock are European style and look original. My guess is that this is a post war (WW1 or WW2?) sporting rifle made with wartime machinery; there was a lot of creative commercial use of the left over military factories in Germany after both wars. What caliber is it?
  10. penguinasa

penguinasa New Member

8MM. It is stamped on the barrell, but that is the only place. I couldnt get a real good picture of it.
  11. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

It does show good workmanship and is probably worth around $300 to $400. I don't normally like to see firearms refinished, but this is one which might benefit from a professional restoration (not a bubba reblue).
  12. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

It was made as a sporting rifle, it is not an altered military rifle. It is based upon the popular 98 action. The early crown proof marks suggest it was made for export prior to WWI (1914). It should have double set triggers, but it seems to be missing one of them. Stoger imported rifles like these in the post WWI - pre WWII era.
  13. penguinasa

penguinasa New Member

Anyone know where I can get the rear trigger and the guts for the trigger? I will not do much to this rifle and will end up getting rid of it. I would like to fix it up a little though
  14. Bob Beach

Bob Beach New Member

Before WWI Von Lengerke & Detmold imported quite a few Mauser sporting rifles. The serial number range was between 5000 and 30000. If you can post the serial number of your rifle I'll check to see if it was a VL&D import. At the very least, if the serial number is in the above range I can probably give you an idea of the year it was manufactured. Courtesy of Griffin & Howe, Inc.

http://http://www.griffinhowe.com/research-main.cfm

Bob Beach
    Records Archivist
  15. penguinasa

penguinasa New Member

That is one of the interesting things. No serial number. The pictures that I took are the only marking/stamps on the weapon. Is this normal. There isnt that much wear on the weapon that it would have "worn off". I just can't find one.