I have officially become an ammo snob

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Alpo, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Slickguns, one of the forum sponsors, has 30 carbine, 5 dollars a box of fifty.

I figgered that was a typo, but followed the links, anyway.

Herters ammo, sold by Cabelas.

So I have clicked in 20 boxes as the amount. 1000 rounds of 30 carbine for just under a hundred bucks. My God, that is so cheap it is unbelievable. First 30 carbine I ever bought, in the late 80s, was 6 bucks a box. Five dollars a box??? Wow.

Then, just before I order, I look at the picture again. Wait a minute, that looks like steel case.

Read the blurb.

>Loaded by Russia’s premier ammunition maker to precise C.I.P. standards, all Herter’s ammunition is noncorrosive and has smooth-cycling, polymer-coated steel cases. 110-grain FMJ bullets. 50 rounds per box. Imported. <

Huh. How 'bout that. Wolf.

So I backed out of the page. A dime a round. You can't buy bullets for a dime a round, let alone loaded ammo.

Buuuuut.

So, I guess I'm an ammo snob. I shoot steel cases in my com-blok guns, but I won't shoot it in my American ones. Same was as I won't shoot aluminum in anything.

But for people that ain't a picky as me, that's one smokin' good deal.
  2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I shoot the ultra cheapest steel cased Herter's and Tul-Ammo in my Windham Weaponry AR. Feeds, fires, ejects, no problems. Cheap Russian ammo, American gun.

But, I also will not shoot aluminum in anything.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I'm not as picky, I just ordered 1000 of them.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I do love some wolf AK ammo, but I also refuse to shoot aluminum or steel in anything besides the AK. plus I reload so I want reloadable stuff
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nothing snobbish about that. I don't know much about the cheap ammo because I pretty much only reload but I believe you are thinking right.
  6. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

+1, nothing snobbish about feeding your quality firearm with quality ammunition.
  7. gdmoody

I reload 99% of the ammo I use. I will shoot a few rounds of what I ordered, just to make sure they will function in my rifle. I will put the rest of that 1000 rounds into my "wall locker" to have for emergency use.
  8. RandyP

RandyP Member

Tula/Wolf/Herters or now Hornady steel case Match rifle ammo? They all go bang and work flawlessly. That said, you get to spend as much as you want on whatever you want ,to feed your firearms. Most all my pistols have run steel case with exactly zero issues.

I also reload but have not yet found any factory made ammo, of any component construction, that ddn't work just fine and I would not hesitate for a second to carry for self defense.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

oh I lied, I also use Wolf 9mm in my hi power and occasionally my G19. But that's it, AK and 9mm. Everything else is brass so I can reload it.
  10. skullfr

skullfr New Member

My cz-82 wont feed wolf so I stay away from it but silver bear is nickle plated like my hornady and 0 problems.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

man, I bought a whole case of silver bear 9mm years ago and it was a freakin' fireworks show every shot! tons of sparks and excess flames, and dirty as hell. Never bought any more. stuck with wolf from then on.

Tried some silver bear AK ammo and it did OK until one blew up my AK; I had just cleaned it well including the barrel and it was almost a new gun, about a year old with only a 1000 rounds or so through it. Cracked the bolt in half and mushroomed out the receiver a bit. I know the romanian AK's aren't the best but good gravy... Can't whole heartedly blame the ammo, more likely something went wrong with the gun but I still don't know exactly the cause. Now I have a parts gun...
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im with ya Alpo. I am an ammo snob too. I wont shoot anything steel or aluminum in anything. Not even my Mosin or AK. I reload for all of them and dont mind buying brass.
  13. gdmoody

I just got an email from Cabela's saying that the price was supposed to be $14.99 so they cancelled the order. I would have paid $4.99 but not $14.99.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ID have emailed them back and said not my problem. Send the damn ammo.
  15. gdmoody

Good Idea!
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Threaten them with a false ad suit or something..
  17. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Absolutely. If you placed the order, and got a confirmation number for the order, they have to honor the order.
  18. PA_RIFLEMAN303

PA_RIFLEMAN303 New Member

please don't admit that you drank the "soft steel cases harm hardened firearm steel" kool-aid:confused:

because the very soft steel used to make these cases will never harm the extremely hard steel used to produce firearms.

That is like suggesting that nailing brass tacks will damage your framing hammer lol.

I don't like most surplus due to the extreme variances in powder charges, that angers me.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Mild steel VS Ordnance steel is still steel VS steel. More wear occurs than Brass VS Steel.
  20. Killcreek

Killcreek New Member

I figure by the time that the steel cases wear out my chamber, that i will have saved about $2500 on ammo costs, and i can afford to then spend $250 to replace the barrel.