1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I hear this about volt sales and layoffs

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by cycloneman, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I read an article before the Volt actually came out. It was written by someone at GM who indicated that they (GM) had put all their eggs in one basket with the investment in development and engineering for the Volt. He also said that if the Volt isn't a success GM is finished.
    It's hard to believe that all the decision makers at GM were that delusional. The Volt is nothing more than an overpriced toy. It gets worse overall economy than a hybrid that sells for half the price and sub-compacts at a third the cost. It's not even a true electric car but actually a less efficient hybrid whose gas engine drives a generator rather than the wheels and it can go less than 30 miles before the gas engine cuts in. It's hard to believe GM spent a decade and millions of dollars in R&D and the Volt is the best they could come up with. Farewell GM!
  2. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
  3. bobski

bobski Former Guest

has anyone ever thought about how much coal production would need to be increased to power the plants that make the electricity to recharge these cars?

youre not conserving anything. youre just transfering the problem to another arena.

youd think being america with the worlds largest supply of natural gas would come up with something along those lines! i mean, it works with fork lifts!
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

GM has got some pretty stoopid engineers. GM has got some pretty stoopid people funding them. The US has WAY too many stoopid voters.

There's no such thing as a prepetual motion machine. I learned a long time ago that every time you attempt to create energy, it comes at an expense of lost energy.

Burn coal to create electricity? -1
    Put electricity into a battery? -2

Oil/gas to engine? 0
    All the energy is used in the combustion process.
    Same with propane/natural gas.

It's really simple stuff. I ain't the pointest end of the shovel, and even I know that. :mad:

It's why bbq tastes so good. :p
  5. musclehead

musclehead New Member

I knew I couldn't be the only one suffering from uber-smartalec-itis :p

(most of the time I don't suffer from it my wife does, when I pop off like that she groans like a ninety year old granny)
  6. musclehead

musclehead New Member

good news! they are closing down those dirty nasty coal fired plants. Obama said your electric bill will naturally skyrocket. I think he meant it!
  7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So now he wants gasoline to go up to $9/gal, AND skyrocket the price of electricity? Where's the economic recovery plan in that? :mad:
  8. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Comrads, don't worry. Everything is fine as our great leader says. Now get back in line or visit one of our fine encampments where you will be taught respect for your government.

coming to a community near yours, soon.