I.J. Double Action Model 1900

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by csb1978, Oct 9, 2012.

1. csb1978

csb1978 New Member

Hi all, I've been researching what I can on an Iver Johnson Model 1900 that I inherited and need a little help putting a date to it.

From what I have been able to find, it's chambered in .38S&W, but I don't know if it's black powder or smokeless. Based on the serial number I think I've narrowed it down to an early 1900's manufacture date and a black powder pistol, but I'm not sure.

The serial number under the left grip is 2749, and matches the serial number on the bottom of the trigger guard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF.

A Model 1900 with four digit serial and no letter code was made in 1900, first year of production.

According to the book "No changes were made in 41 years of production" so I assume even the earliest were considered OK with smokeless powder, the solid frame construction being stronger than the top break type.
  3. csb1978

csb1978 New Member

Thank you for the welcome. And many thanks for the amazingly quick reply.

I suppose now I just need to find the guts to pull the trigger on a 112 year old revolver.

Again, thank you very much for the quick response.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. StarwoodAZ

StarwoodAZ New Member

I am trying to find out if my Grandfathers revolver is worth anything of value for insurance purposes. It is a I J double-action model 1900 .32 caliber. It looks in fairly great condition. It has the original grips with the owl head. It is a 5 shot revolver with a front site. The serial number is 35255. On the top it says I.J Double Action Model 1900 Fitchburg, Mass. USA Also can you give me an idea as to when it was made?
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  5. RJay

RJay Active Member

Is that the number from under the left grip, the number on the trigger guard is a secondary number, the true number is , as stated, under the left grip. As for value, with out pictures it would be difficult to place any value on your gun, however in the worn condition that most of the guns are found, the sell for 75 too 150.
    Should be covered under your homeowners policy and not cost efficient to get a separate rider. Check with your agent.
  6. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF.

If the serial number under left grip has no letter prefix, made in 1903.

If it has an E prefix, made in 1911.
  7. StarwoodAZ

StarwoodAZ New Member

The number under the left grip is the same number under the trigger guard, 35255.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      189.7 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      184.4 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      204.6 KB
      Views:
  8. StarwoodAZ

StarwoodAZ New Member

A thought just comes to mind that it may have been a police revolover for the Maple Hts, Ohio Police Department. However, that may just be pure speculation on my part. I never saw this pistol until a year ago. My grandfather died in 1969 and was a temporary mayor of Maple Hts, Ohio. I doubt he fired it a few times if ever, but it definately has been fired.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012