I J Target Sealed 8

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by pat04, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j_shamp

j_shamp New Member

I have one that is in pretty rough shape. M33862 Any idea on what a reblue runs?
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. You didn't ask, but it was made in 1947.

A professional reblue would probably cost more than value of the gun, and would destroy any collector value.
  3. suzstan

suzstan New Member

I just cleaned a I.JTarget Sealed8 with a serial number of: M72224. It was my 90 year old uncles gun and have no idea were he got it. Can anyone tell me how old this gun is? It is in very good condition with the wood pistol grip in perfect condition. There is some discoloration on the barrel, but not bad.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum suzstan,

M72224 was made in 1949.
  5. birddogo1e

birddogo1e Member

HRF:

You fixed me up a coouple weeks ago when I questioned the year made for a couple top-break 32 cal IJ hammerless revolvers. Thanks again. Just dove in for the 3rd time on an IJ revolver. This time it's Target Sealed 8 SN M765XX which I'm guessing was made around 1948 or 1949 based on answers elsewhere on this thread. The barrel is round, it has wooden grips with checkered diamond design, and has a leaf spring vs coil that I saw on another forum. The frame is nicely blued but the barrel and cylindar and barrel appear a little lighter, almost dark grey color. The bore and chambers are very clean and cylindar lock-up is pretty good. A little play but it requires manually trying to turn it. Position at cocking or at hammer release is dead on with the bore. I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me the year of manufacture and how long leaf springs were used in these revolvers.

Geezer in Dayton
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

M765XX was made in 1949. The mainspring was not changed to coil type until 4th variation 1952/53.
  7. birddogo1e

birddogo1e Member

HKF;

Thanks again for the quick response.

Geezer
  8. DJ18

DJ18 New Member

Looking to get infomation on my IJ Tager Sealed 8.

Serial # M14004

Thanks
  9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Second Model made in 1946
  10. TXMAVERICK

TXMAVERICK New Member

I J Sealed 8

I have a .22 cal pistol that was given to me by my mother-in-law a few years ago. Saw this forum and thought I'd find out what I could about it. On the top of the gun (on the flat bar above the cylinder) it says "I J Sealed 8", below that it says "Fitchburg, Mass U.S.A." It also appears to have "A&C WKS" right above that. Under the trigger guard it says "N4227" which I'm guessing is the serial number. The overall condition of the pistol is very good. Some of the bluing has worn off but everything works and is tight. The wood grips are in pretty good shape with only a little bit of wear showing on the upper left side.

Any information regarding this pistol is greatly appreciated. Thank you for having this forum where folks can find out stuff like this from knowledgeable people.
  11. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF, but clear photos are needed to confirm model and condition:

Does the marking actually read "I J Target Sealed 8"?

Also, you mention grips, but most had a one piece grip, fastened from the bottom.

The serial number that will date gun will be found on left grip frame under the grip or grips (trigger guards were sometimes replaced).
  12. TXMAVERICK

TXMAVERICK New Member

Re: I J Sealed 8

If I did this correctly, you should see some pictures now. I took the grips off and the SN# of N4227 is the same on the inside as it is on the trigger guard.

I am curious about the year of mfg. and, really, more about the history of these pistols than what they are worth.

Thanks again for the help.

Attached Files:

13. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The Sealed 8 model was introduced in 1932, but you have a post-war model made in 1951.

Your partial pics indicate a well worn gun, value maybe + or - $100 if OK mechanically and good bore.
  14. kindle45

kindle45 New Member

hopefully someone can please help me with this! I have a i.j target model 55a .22 8 shot revolver s# is H44679 can someone please tell me when it was made?
  15. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Post-War models after 1954 can not be identified to specific year, but your 55A was made 1963-1974 period.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013