I just bought 9mm?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by easyflow, Apr 20, 2011.

1. easyflow

easyflow New Member

What is the best self defense round the pistol is a fm 95detective 12+1 mag a browning replica single action?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

Best defense ammo is one that has been tested and you know where it's going to group with your gun. Really can't tell you which one is going to be best for your gun. I'd recommend buying a box each of Hornady, Corbon, Federal and Speer. Try them all out and know how your gun is going to shoot them. Give your gun a good break in with a few hundred rounds of FMJ before trying to assess the performance of the defense ammo though.

Have fun at the range!

Woolley
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

That's kinda an opinion question there and you will get quite a few differant answers. My personal opinion is either Federal Hydrashoks or Winchester Ranger bonded. They have coe a long way on the balistics and bullets over the years, so there are a lot of good choices out there. What ever you decide to try, I suggest shooting atleast 200-300 rounds to make sure they function well and also to see what kind of accuracy they have. And I also tend to go with a heavier bullet weight. It definately seems to make a differance when I go to shooting pigs. In my .45, the 230 grain bullets have a lot more effect than the 180+P. It was a noticable differance in the number of rounds it took to drop a hog. This doesnt take into account clothing and obstacles, so the results may be differant if that is brought into the equation.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    +1
  5. vapor trail

vapor trail New Member

If you can find any as they were taken off the market a few years ago WINCHESTER BLACK TALON'S > They are absolutely one wicked self-defense round in any caliber they were made in.
  6. Heretic

Heretic New Member

Try Hornady Critical Defense. Works for me.
  7. Flintlock555

Flintlock555 New Member

Was listening to ARM AMERICAN RADIO, and caught a segment of the extreme shock rounds. Anybody have any input on these rounds. Wife shoots S&W 40.
  8. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Depends on what you shoot with them.

they lack any kind of useable penetration. I did buy some to test in my P32 and I will report that they work exactly as advertised. I shot 11 raccoons with the 12 rounds I bought. They are hot little rounds and the wound was shallow but HUGE in every raccoon. Not a single one even flinched after being shot. I have shot raccoons with Winchester 9mm Rangers 115 +P+ where it took 3 rounds to expire them (3 solid hits). The wound was too shallow for me to even begin to trust them to my life though. I just had to test them.....
  9. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Black Talons just developed a bad rep. There are several identical variants out right now, with Remington Golden Sabers leading the pack.
  10. popgun

popgun New Member

Winchester PD1 Bonded JHP 124 +p
  11. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

I handload Remington GS's in 124 gr. for SD. I don't load +p velocities. I don't see a need.
  12. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I went to a lot of autopsies for people who were shot with .22's because they were hit in the correct spot. Find out which hollow point ammo works best in your gun, which will result in you practicing a lot with your weapon, which means you will be able to put more holes in the correct spot of your target. The baddest bullet in the world is useless when it is jammed in your gun. Just remember anything worth shooting is worth shooting a lot. Ammo cost less than lawyers and anyone you shoot is going to be a bad witness against you if they survive. Practice drawing, aquiring your target, and shooting as though your life were in immediate threat, and the one threatening you was a "terminator". Years from now, nowbody will remember your style, amount of shots, what ammo you used, or your accuracy, they will only remember who walked away.
  13. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

Hi Guys, I am new here and new to handguns so its theeducation I am looking for and enjoying about this site. First of all sorry for bumping an old thread, not sure if this is an issue on this forum but it came up in my search and is the topic I have on my mind this morning. My concern is heaven forbid I have to defend myselfwhat happens to the round after it hits the intended target. Wouldn't a +P round exit and be leathal? I know about safe firing and knowing what's in my line of sight, but there is always the possibility of some innocent person being placed in danger. Is there a round in either 9mm or .40 that will stop the targer and ... well bounce around so to speak? Again, Im new so be easy on me...
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Hey Bill, welcome. Looking at your avatar I'm guessing we share a past or present. I am 23 years retired (old guy).

I guess the quick answer is yes there is ammunition that will do what you want done. That performance is the goal of most manufactures of defensive ammo. They want the energy expended into the target and not have a pass through with that energy going into some unintended object. You still always have to be aware of down range dangers as you might miss. There has been a tremendous amount of development in defense ammo for your 9mm. Many hollow point rounds now on the market that expand almost doubling their diameter when they hit. There are frangible rounds that break up into small pieces when they hit. There are "safety" rounds that try to do the same thing. Lots of good ammo out there for your need and the choice some times is just a personal decision. I personally carry Federal HST 147 grain ammo in my 9mm. Is it the best? I don't know, it is just my choice. Take a look at this fellows Youtube videos, he tests a lot of defense rounds. It just takes some research and then make a decision that you are comfortable with. Be sure and try several rounds in your gun to make sure it functions reliably with you choice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9#p/c/727CAFF8A6C0D3BF/0/PNRqrJRq4T0

Todd
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Bill;

There are some types of ammunition that are designed specifically to prevent overpenetration. The bullets that do this are called "frangible," which means that they break apart into many pieces when they strike a target. Each of the individual small pieces is very unlikely to contain enough energy to penetrate completely through a target and maintain enough energy injure a person beyond the initial target.

Read more at this site: http://www.shopcorbon.com/Glaser-Safety-Slug/500/500/dept
  16. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

Thanks Todd and Josh, this is exactly why I keep coming back to this site. Great advice and folks who are willing to carry us probies along. And to my borther Todd, nice to see your avitar as well. I did 10 years on Long Island before I moved to Texas. Long Island is strictly protected by a volunteer service. My real job moved me and I now live in an area with professional protection so my active duty is behind me. But you can still see where my heart is.
  17. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I have "issues" with the Win. "bonded" Ranger and everything like it. This is actually PLATED. The great ad hype we see about "molecular welding" is nothing at all but plating. There is NO jacket, and so there can be no effect that is similar to the black talon or Golden Saber. It doesn't matter a whole lot to me, because I'm a lifelong shooter and my bullet placement is pretty danged close. My Glock 19 is loaded with the Ranger crap, just because it's a factory load that may or may not prevent court issues.
    I've tested the Golden Saber against the Rem. 124 gr. copper jacketed HP, and I find that the copper jacketed bullet actually works better. The skived jacket opens up and curls back on the lead core to help prevent separation, while it acts as a cutting edge during penetration as the bullet spins.
    Even with the Rainier plated HP bullets, which perform rather poorly as far as HP's go, I feel confident, because they do open up more than ball, and go where they're told.
    For a home defense round, get something with a REAL jacket.
    For a guy who is relatively new to shooting, that jacket opens up into sharp cutting edges that cause horrible wounding that will bleed. You don't have to hit the correct kill switch to stop his motor. He may not stop right away, but he'll be severely hampered in his ability to hurt you. Avoid plated bullets. Read up enough on the ammo you're considering to know the difference.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  18. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

This guy (the original poster) hasn't been back on TFF since asking the question 6 months ago. :eek:

What is up with the drive-by members?
  19. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I feel the same way. I have never been impressed with these plated on 'bonded' jacket projectiles. Now the bonded Goldensabers are different but I see no real difference from the regular ones. With that said I do use the 45LC PDX1 from a 45/410 single shot SuperComanche and this round is far and away the most accurate round from that gun and always expand and make live critters real dead real fast. I might test them out in 9mm someday because I do like testing........
  20. D.Mathews

D.Mathews New Member

Hmm for a 9mm i would try hydra-shok rounds or blazer high expansion hollow pionts, another thing to try would be buying some regular high expansion hollow pionts and then buying some fmj rounds and alternate them in the magazine one hollow piont then one fmj round and so on that way you have pentration and then expansion