I just watched THE DUST BOWL on PBS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjp28, Nov 18, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

THE DUST BOWL on PBS....great show! Gives you something to think about.

Premieres November 18 and 19, 2012
    8:00–10:00 p.m. ET on PBS

THE DUST BOWL chronicles the worst man-made ecological disaster in American history, in which the frenzied wheat boom of the "Great Plow-Up," followed by a decade-long drought during the 1930s nearly swept away the breadbasket of the nation.

Vivid interviews with twenty-six survivors of those hard times, combined with dramatic photographs and seldom seen movie footage, bring to life stories of incredible human suffering and equally incredible human perseverance. It is also a morality tale about our relationship to the land that sustains us—a lesson we ignore at our peril.
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

They are showing it again now. Part 2 is tomorrow, I imagine PBS will run it again.

A Ken Burns film.
  3. lead

lead Active Member

I've driven through that country and it's amazing to think about what those folks endured.
  4. Ed Wagner

Ed Wagner Member

I watched part 1, it is amazing what those folks endured, no wonder they produced The Greatest Generation.
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I caught it sun night too, will watch the second part tonight. Much as I hate PBS, some decent programming at times. Did ya see the Woody Guthrie program a few nights back, So long Been good to know ya, So long Been good to know ya. About the dust bowl era.
  6. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Without a doubt! My grandpa was born in 1880, my dad in 1921. My dad's generation grew up in the depression, graduated high school, or quit to work to help the family then went right to war! Then came back and built modern America....the one that's cracking now. Can this generation step up?

Hey Zhurh, how've you been? And yes Woodie didn't have to create music, he lived through the songs, no wonder he was like he was.

These people lost almost everything and survived....well most survived. True tough times.
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Part 2 on tonight at 8, 10 and again at 1am EST.
  8. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I live out here and if we don't get some rain we will have it all over again:mad::mad:
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Scary to think about, whole states in drought conditions....fresh water is the #1 most valuable thing in the world, more than money, gold, anything.

And the WPA and CCC did a lot for the USA back then. Guys making $30/month and required to send $25 back home.

My late father-in-law was born in 1920 and in the CCC, they planted millions of trees, built trails, roads, bridges, dams, camps, lodges, parks and more including a National Park system that was the envy of the world....and almost all that still with us.

He was in the Montana area and loved it...not that before WWII was coming.

I love when they try to tear down one of those 1930s bridges or viaducts down AND they just don't want to fall down!