I know this sounds stupid - BUT...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hogger129, Jan 28, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

What are some good uses for assault rifles and handguns other than for sport? I am sick and tired of people saying that there is no need or use or good reason for people to own them. So I want to be able to say something to make them shut up.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Are personal protection and self defense dirty words?

Just tell them the voices told you to buy them.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Geo sampling

on cliffs where strata is exposed a shot with a big pure lead slug can drop samples for geotechnologists

Envirinmental protection

a shot at a branch on trees where the viable seeds are found toward the top ( away from seed eaters like squirrels rats etc) can drop a branch with these viable seeds and be used to protect the species

entertainment

shooting galleries are not only fun but provide needed jobs

and the best excuse for a gun

cleaning the gene pool of generational criminals

meaning kids of criminals who are the kids of criminals themselves and all who live off the system and honest working folks

not only does this have long term effects but if imposed would drastically cut the crime rate and influence parent to teach thier kids to "fly straight"

cheers

jack
  4. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

By sport, I'm thinking you mean target shooting(?).

How about hunting, self defense, and zombie killing?

Thing is, you have to accept that they will probably NEVER shut up! (That is, unless you can persuade them to go to the range with you and try it for themselves!).
  5. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

A despot would have to respect millions of
    his subjects owning and using such " tools ".
    They are also multi purpose. I would rather
    hunt with my Sako, but the H&K will also
    accomplish that task.
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Testing hearing protection, body armour, and reloading abilities.
    Last but not least:
    How many firearms can you fit into 26,000 cubic inches of safe.

I like Jacks response the best.
  7. navis128

navis128 New Member

OM Gosh...who could not like Jack...dude kudos.
  8. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I've mainly used my handguns for recreational shooting, I don't own a AR/AK style rifle/shotgun because I like the old fashioned bolt/slide action and lever action rifles. I think they look cool, but I haven't bought one because I just don't see a real reason to go out and buy one.
  9. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Can't think of why "other uses" - or "any uses FTM" - need justification. How 'bout' "because I like it, ****** Edited for language "

Kinda hard to "justify" buying a mined diamond, or just about any other gem stone in this era of manufactured stones. Or a humongous vehicle with nothing to tow or haul, but lots of folks do so.....!! Does your 'better half' really need those expensive designer threads ? Do you ?

To make my point - with a sledgehammer - many, if not most, of our expensive purchases are made more on the basis of 'want', rather than 'need'. The beauty of firearms purchases, is they endure far longer than more ephermeral, (and less durable) expensive purchases we routinely make. Moreover, they are 'flexible', having multiple applications based upon need/circumstances. IOW, you can always sell a gun, but not always that diamond or vehicle...... >MW
  10. Hells Toy Master

Hells Toy Master New Member

Because the best defense of tyranny is a well armed public, and to be well armed, the public must have every tool at their disposal.
  11. navis128

navis128 New Member

I can...because it ain't real...kinda like plastic, get it?

Get the real ones and "you" won't be disappointed...get one that looks real, yeah it's pretty and more brilliant than a natural stone...but it ain't real, it's a fake, an immitation and back in "your" head..."you" know it ain't therefore "you" will not be satisfied.

But "you" don't need big honkin' gawdy stones...

And that didn't sound stupid to me...
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Because I LIKE it and it makes me happy, period!

If we started taking things away from people simply because there is an alternate version that didn't "scare" people around them I wonder how quickly they would agree.

America stands for freedom... If you want a huge, gas guzzling dually pickup or SUV for nothing more than running around town, when a compact would easily fit the bill, even when fuel prices are outrageous, it makes you happy and it's none of my business, even though the fuel problem scares the heck out of me.

Do I "need" an AR-15 when a bolt action .223 would do the job? No I don't, but it makes me happy... I like it and to be honest I couldn't possibly care less what anyone else thinks. They certainly don't care what I think! Tell 'em to take a flying leap.

Crpdeth
  13. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

You can tell them That when a Intruder breaks into your house and wants to murder your grandmother, rape your wife, and kidnap your daughter, your best defense is the AR 15 and the 45 ACP.
    REASON ENOUGH !
  14. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Because they sell movies and papers, just ask anyone in Holly-weird or the News-me-D-I.:eek::D:):D:eek::confused::D
  15. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

First of all, mine has never assaulted anyone so please do not call it an assault weapon. Hitler, Bill Clinton, Joe Biden and a host of other unpleasant creatures gave it that name unfairly. The baseball bat used by a thug to beat his woman... call that an assault weapon. Then try to ban it.

The main reasons I own one are...

Target shooting, hunting, self / home defense, collecting, military history, mechanical interests, etc.

Whenever someone asks why I need one, I feel that this quote answers it better than I could. I do not know who to attribute it to.

Why do I need an "assault weapon?" Answer: You don't. You don't need an "assault weapon" any more than you need the right to speak freely, or the right to vote, or the right to drive whatever car you want, or the right to eat at whatever restaurant you want, or the right to protection from unreasonable search and seizure. If the government says you can only eat at one restaurant, can only drive mopeds, can not vote and can not speak without permission and can not ever speak against the government, and if the government can search your house anytime they want to... you won't die. None of those are NEEDS.

Then, ask how much they like their first amendment or fourth amendment rights... if they even know what those amendments are. Tell them you like your second, and that the concept of freedom is not based on need- that would be communism. Freedom is based on being able to indulge in individual desires without repercussion. And also tell them that the constitution is a set of pillars upon which our republic is based... take down one pillar and you weaken the whole structure, so much so that other pillars may fall as well... or all of it could fall.