The Firearms Forum banner

I made a $1200 mistake today

4K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Tip12095 
#1 ·
Yep. Big mistake.

I was at the range practicing with my 4" XD45 and decided; what the heck. I'll try out that Kimber Pro Carry II that they have for rent.

Now I have to go out and buy one. Course that means I will have to sell the XD, and will lose of that one too.

On the positive side, I shot 50 rounds with the Kimber from 15 yards and all holes were within the 8 point ring on the silhouette, with most being in the 9 ring or the "Red" spot.

For reference, there were more holes in the "Red" area with the 50 rounds of Kimber than there were with 100 rounds in the XD at the same distance.

If someone doesn't talk me down with some big negatives on the Kimber, I will be out buying one soon. Are there any problems with the Kimber shooting reloads? I plan on shooting a lot and will be reloading 230 RN on the press that is on order.

This is going to be an expensive hobby.

Bert

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
If they rent guns, give them all a try and see what ya like. I think Kimbers are great guns, but I do think that you can get the same or better bang for your buck. I really like the look of the Raptors. Reloads are/can be safe for 99% of all centerfire guns on the market. Anyone that tells you different does not understand handloading or is just plain Ignant :D Just look at all the factory ammo recalls and tell me that its "safer" to shoot only factory. It's all up to the human error factor and with my ammo, it's my butt, my error, nobody elses.

#4 ·
If they rent guns, give them all a try and see what ya like. I think Kimbers are great guns, but I do think that you can get the same or better bang for your buck. I really like the look of the Raptors. Reloads are/can be safe for 99% of all centerfire guns on the market. Anyone that tells you different does not understand handloading or is just plain Ignant :D Just look at all the factory ammo recalls and tell me that its "safer" to shoot only factory. It's all up to the human error factor and with my ammo, it's my butt, my error, nobody elses.
agree there is nothing wrong with reloads I just don't reload for handguns only for my long range rifles.

#5 ·
If I were you I would enjoy the xd 45 and forget about the kimber.

#7 ·
I fired several kimbers before buying mine. They all shot true. very crisp trigger, very clean cycle. One of them had close to 50k rounds through it, according to the range master (it was a range gun). He said that everyone who came in off the street wanted to shoot it, and they did. He said even though the gun cost him a grand, it had made him triple that in rental fees :). Even with 50k down the tube (albeit with a few spring replacements), it shot better than any other .45 I had tried. That gun is what finally made me decide to buy one.

I ended up with a Pro Crimson Carry II. When my CHL finally arrives, it will be my carry weapon. I couldn't be happier :)

#9 ·
I have been lusting for one of those for almost a year now. Can't wait until June when I'll be in my state of "residence" to buy one. Then a call to Woodnut for the finishing touch.

#10 ·
Bert, keep the XD45 and get the Kimber too. First of all you never have enough guns, second you can use the XD for everyday plinkin and save the Kimber for special occassions, and third, believe me when I tell you, if you get rid of a gun you will truley regret it. Calm down, wipe your brow and do the right thing, buy the Kimber and keep the XH45.

#12 ·
BERT.....TAKE A DEEP BREATH BROTHER !!!!
I knew you would not like the 4" BUT-----you have it.
First try other ammo before your panties crawl up your butt.
Also first rule-----don't sell guns.....get more.
You have a NICE gun......just play with it. Get a bunch of different ammo
and go play...have fun.
But, you have to keep us posted, and you need to put up some pics, those are the rules.
Please, go play with it some more, and have fun.
Different guns like different ammo.....you will really see that when you start
reloading. Hang in there brother.

#13 ·
I may just take your advice and keep the XD while still buying the Kimber, although I can't even imagine shooting it again after the Kimber arrives. I have shot 500 rounds of 4 types of ammo, including the high priced hollow points with the XD, and the first shot with the Kimber was better than any with the XD. I know that I am new to all of this, but after the first round with the Kimber it was like all the other guns I tried were a waste of my time and money.

My wife told me tonight that I should have just shot the Kimber models before I bought, knowing that I would eventually try it and buy one. She is right. I purposely didn't test one because of the price, and figured that what I didn't know wouldn't hurt me. Well, now I know.

I am off to work in Africa for the next month, but will be buying a new gun upon my return. I will post pictures as per the rules (LOL).

Stay safe guys and keep the forum warm for me. I will check in from time to time when the internet connection allows.

When I get back, I will have a new reloading set up and a new gun to shoot. Who says life isn't good?

#14 ·
I may just take your advice and keep the XD while still buying the Kimber, although I can't even imagine shooting it again after the Kimber arrives. I have shot 500 rounds of 4 types of ammo, including the high priced hollow points with the XD, and the first shot with the Kimber was better than any with the XD. I know that I am new to all of this, but after the first round with the Kimber it was like all the other guns I tried were a waste of my time and money.

My wife told me tonight that I should have just shot the Kimber models before I bought, knowing that I would eventually try it and buy one. She is right. I purposely didn't test one because of the price, and figured that what I didn't know wouldn't hurt me. Well, now I know.

I am off to work in Africa for the next month, but will be buying a new gun upon my return. I will post pictures as per the rules (LOL).

Stay safe guys and keep the forum warm for me. I will check in from time to time when the internet connection allows.

When I get back, I will have a new reloading set up and a new gun to shoot. Who says life isn't good?[/quote]

Sounds like life is Great ! Have an enjoyable trip and before ya leave, better boost up your post count and enter the giveaways ! Can't wait for pics and if ya need any set-up help with the reloading press, just holler!

#18 ·
Bert, I believe everything happens for a reason.
This happened so you will begin growing your collection.
You are fortunate that it is affordable to you.
Have fun over yonder. Hope to hear from you soon.

#19 · (Edited)
I have a # of Kimbers and all are great!! The Pro Carry II is one of my favorites!!! You can't go wrong on that one! My wife won't let me trade, she says to just by another and keep the old one!!! Just try and keep your XD, 2 different guns 2 different uses!!! Good luck!
What part of Africa? I worked 2 yrs in Kenya! I really liked it, I was in the Rift Valley and temps were great and no bugs!!! I hope you like it!

#23 · (Edited)
Bert, keep the XD45 and get the Kimber too. First of all you never have enough guns, second you can use the XD for everyday plinkin and save the Kimber for special occassions, and third, believe me when I tell you, if you get rid of a gun you will truley regret it. Calm down, wipe your brow and do the right thing, buy the Kimber and keep the XH45.
I agree, almost every weapon I have ever sold I have regretted selling. I have two XDms one in 45 and one in 9 and they've been great but their not 1911s; and I have 8 of them.

#25 ·
Just got in from the long flight. I am in Angola to answer Cutter's post. Hot and humid with lots of bugs. This is only my 3rd rotation here and it takes some getting used to. The money and time off are great, so I guess I'll keep doing it.

Thinking of having the XD in another part of the house is a pretty good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Wife won't mind as long as i have a safe for it. Might just end up keeping it.

Before I left, I was able to find a gunstore that had a Custom CDP II in stock. It was there becasue the guy who ordered it failed his background check a few minutes before I called. I had them hold it till I could get there and pay. Everyone else said it would be a 4-6 month wait, so I got lucky.

They agreed to hold off sending the DROS background check in until the 1st of April so I can be sure to be back in time to make the pick up window. Even if I get held up here for an extra week, I am still good. California makes you do another DROS if you don't pick up the gun within 30 days of applying.

I'm glad to see that this site isn't banned by my company's internet police. I kind of thought it would be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.