I may miss Opening Day after all...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polishshooter, Nov 12, 2007.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Well, I just may miss this Opening Day this Saturday after all....:cool:

I was doing SO well, no chest pains the last 3 or 4 weeks or so, even pushing it last week in rehab...

Then Friday night I got back the "pressure" in my chest, actually scared me a little, not as bad as the Big One, but enough it had me thinking of calling it in...like the instructions say for ANY, but I usually ignore it...but this one was pretty stiff...

Then all weekend it was intermittent, not as bad as Friday, but "nagging...":cool:

Today was rehab, I sign in, the nurse asks me how was my weekend, I tell her about the pain...next thing I know she's on the phone, and then she walks over and takes me off the stairstepper and says follow me, you're seeing your doctor NOW....:eek:

Next thing I'm in my doctors office on the other side of the hospital, HIS nurse is hooking up the EKG, then she says, the GOOD news is lit looks like you are not having a heart attack, at least NOW...and walks OUT.:confused:

My young doctor comes in, starts the 20 questions, then says we have to "Recat...":eek:

I hesitate, he explains I should feel NO pain, and was doing FINE for the past 4 weeks, but SOMETHING happened Friday, maybe something with the stent, maybe new blockage, maybe nothing, this is the only way to be sure....says he won't ORDER me, but he COULD admit me and force the issue if he wanted too...started me on the "What's the worst that could happen if we don't/do" scenarios trying to convince me....says no matter what, I'm getting emergency blood work TODAY (I HATE getting stuck by those wannabe doctor/comedian PHLEBOTOMISTS....)

Then he asks me what the TRUTH is, why I don't want to do it...

So I told him...I GOTTA go back to work next week, it's Xmas, the guys covering for me are running ragged, and this Saturday is OPENING DAY DEER man!:eek:

He smiles, and says FIRST, it probably is NOTHING and after a couple of days rest, there is NO reason I can't hit Opening Day, AND go back to work!

But if it IS something, I might miss opening day, but the season is what, 2 weeks? You should be able to hunt SOME this year...

And besides, he says he's more interested in getting me out on many MORE Opening Days in the future, not just this one...

For a wet behind the ears smartass young anti-cigar smoking nazi cardio jockey...:cool:

At least he seems to understand hunting and OPENING DAY, maybe he ain't half bad...;)

Anyway, my arm feels like a pin cushion, and I signed the release, I get the "cat" again tomorrow at 8:30am.....wish me luck!
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  2. Mike, let's put aside all the BS and kidding we do all the time here for just a minute. YOUR DOCTOR IS RIGHT!!!!! It's not worth taking a chance just for one opening day. Make sure you have many more opening days. Besides, I would miss your illogic and sophistry if you weren't around. :cool:
  3. polishshooter

That took more than a minute to type?

:p;):D:D:D:D:D:)

Thanks, PS...
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Yes Polish, You be a good Patient & maybe next year the nice Doctor will let you go hunting w/ a "real gun" on Opening Day! :D

Seriously, Be good. I would miss your antagonizing Pistol. :) I'm not smart enough to take your place! :eek:
  5. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Hey Polish, You take care there, after all should you decide to ignore the doc. The sorry son of a gun is still going to charge your widow for the visits.:eek: Get even with him, live to see not only next yers Opening Day but many more. Heck he probably doesn't hunt anyway, got to make up for those non hunters.;) Get well and stay well. :D catfish
  6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Hey take it easy and go with the doc's advice.
  7. polishshooter

Well, I got a call late last night, turns out some guy just admitted to ICU needed a cath before I did, so they gave him my slot this morning...

Mine is rescheduled for 12:00 noon...

The good news is maybe mine actually isn't technically an "emergency" like the doc said...although maybe he isn't telling me everything that the EKG showed either, he was pretty antsy about getting me to agree to it on such short notice yesterday...

The BAD news is this "Nothing by Mouth" crap until then, then the 3-4 hour "no moving" flat on your back recovery room BS....now during SOAP OPERA time....:cool::p
  8. Polish, perhaps you should take something with you to read in the recovery room. Might I suggest Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II by Belton Y. Cooper? :D;):p
  9. polishshooter

Been there, Disproved that....:p:)

I fully appreciate WHY Belton Cooper is biased and not only missed, but didn't even attempt to understand the "Big Picture," which is to be expected from many anecdotal accounts....

ANYWAY, it would have been difficult, it's tough reading when you have to lay flat on your back without moving for a minimum of three hours with an IV in my right hand...;)

ANyway, I'll post a new thread, it's good news it deserves one...